Offensive linemen in the 09 draft...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
I thought I'd take a little different approach to analyzing the upcoming draft, a position by position look at which players might be available to the Boys, in which rounds... I figured that first, I'd look at the offensive linemen, since I consider that to be a top priority in this draft... in particular, I think they need quality depth at center and guard, though I wouldn't turn up my nose at a quality tackle too... players in blue fonts are my "pet cats"...

SECOND ROUND:

Max Unger, C/OG/OT, Oregon... 6-5, 310 pounds, 5.25 second 40... might be off the board by pick 51...

Eric Wood, C/OG/OT, Louisville... 6-4, 310 pounds, 5.2 second 40... might also be off the board by pick 51...

Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma... 6-5, 330 pounds, 5.3 second 40... projects to go in the low 50s on a lot of draft boards...

Realistically, Robinson is the only one of this group likely to slip to pick 51, but he's one of my favorites in this draft... I'd be happy to draft him in the 2nd round... and inasmuch as I think the Boys badly need a quality backup center, if either Unger or Wood (or even Alex Mack, which is highly unlikely) fell to pick 51, I'd have to take a long look at them, too...

THIRD ROUND:

Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma... 6-8, 330 pounds, 5.45 second 40...

Kraig Urbik, OG, Wisconsin... 6-5, 330 pounds, 5.25 second 40...

Andy Levitre, OG/C, Oregon State... 6-3, 306 pounds, 5.3 second 40...

Honestly, none of these three really excites me, I'd look elsewhere in the 3rd round... at the same time, the Boys have shown some interest in Loadholt and Levitre...

FOURTH ROUND:

Troy Kropog, OT, Tulane... 6-6, 310 pounds, 5.3 second 40...

Antoine Caldwell, C/OG, Alabama... 6-3, 310 pounds, 5.25 second 40...

Tupou Fenuki, OT/OG, Oregon... 6-5, 316 pounds, 5.2 second 40...

TJ Lang, OG/C, Eastern Michigan... 6-4, 316 pounds, 5.1 second 40...

If the Boys weren't able to grab one of the blue chip centers early in the draft, Caldwell or Lang would offer terrific value here... they've shown some interest lately in Lang...

FIFTH ROUND:

Jaimie Thomas, OG, Maryland... 6-4, 325 pounds, 5.3 second 40...

Joel Bell, OT, Furman... 6-7, 316 pounds, 5.1 second 40...

Louis Vasquez, OG, Texas Tech... 6-5, 335 pounds, 5.25 second 40...

Cornelius Lewis, OG, Tennessee State... 6-4, 330 pounds, 5.2 second 40...

There are a few nice guards likely to still be on the board this late, Vasquez and Lewis are my favorites... the Boys apparently like Lewis, and Thomas...

SIXTH & SEVENTH ROUNDS:

Roger Allen, OG, Missouri Western... 6-3, 325 pounds, 5.45 second 40...

Robert Brewster, OG, Ball State... 6-4, 325 pounds, 5.3 second 40...

Travis Bright, OG, BYU... 6-4, 320 pounds, 5.25 second 40...

Dallas Reynolds, OG/C/OT, BYU... 6-5, 310 pounds, 5.3 second 40...

Matt Slauson, OG/OT, Nebraska... 6-6, 315 pounds, 5.25 second 40...

Ryan Delrosal, OT, Dixie State... 6-5, 316 pounds, 4.95 second 40...

Dallas Reynolds would be an excellent choice late in this draft, he can back up every line position... Ryan Delrosal's computer numbers are quite intriguing, in spite of his low level of competition...

PRIORITY UNDRAFTED ROOKIE FREE AGENTS:

Every year at the end of the draft, there are still a number of intriguing offensive line prospects who go undrafted, and this year will be no exception... the following are some of the line prospects who IMO will not be drafted, but will be in some team's training camp:

Jose Valdez, OT, Arkansas... 6-5, 316 pounds, 5.2 second 40...

Juan Garcia, C/OG, Washington... 6-2, 306 pounds, 5.3 second 40 (injuries hurt his draft stock, he could be a steal)...

Robby Felix, C, UTEP... 6-2, 306 pounds, 5.2 second 40... I went to UTEP, allow me my bias... Felix is a little smaller than I generally like my linemen, but he's very hardnosed...

Cedric Dockery, OG, Texas... 6-3, 316 pounds, 5.35 second 40... another player coming back from injury, his big brother Derrick is a well-regarded guard in the league...

Tim Henderson, OG, Northwestern State (La.)... 6-3, 325 pounds, 5.3 second 40...

Antonio Dixon, OL/DT (conversion project), Miami... 6-3, 325 pounds, 5.2 second 40... I think he's too slow to be successful as a NT, but might be quick enough to play OG...

Calvin Dority, OG/C, North Carolina... 6-3, 310 pounds... 5.2 second 40...

David Washington, OG/C, Oklahoma State... 6-3, 310 pounds, 5.25 second 40...

Ben Person, OG, Ohio State... 6-3, 325 pounds, 5.3 second 40...

Jonathan St. Pierre, OG/C, Illinois State... 6-3, 310 pounds, 5.3 second 40...

Terrell Nemons, OL/DT, Tulsa... 6-2, 330 pounds, 5.35 second 40... another NT conversion project, some scouts project him to OG...

Matt Eichelberger, OL/DT, Washington State... 6-4, 316 pounds, 5.25 second 40... and one final NT conversion project...

OK, there's over 30 offensive linemen that I'd be targeting in this draft... I could justify going with an offensive lineman at pick 51, but I could also make a case for waiting until the 4th round before drafting a blocker, then drafting two before the draft concludes (say Caldwell or Lang in the 4th, then either Vasquez or Lewis in the 5th, or alternatively, Reynolds or Delrosal in the 7th)...

And then once the draft concluded, I'd want to try to sign 2 or 3 of the priority UDFAs mentioned above... say two from among Dockery, Vasquez and Henderson, then one of the other centers (Garcia, Felix, Washington, St. Pierre or Dority)...

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
That was really good, Silverbear.

The guards in the 5th round look really good. Dallas has three picks in round 5, and there are some definate players in that round. I would like to have 2 of those guards. You hope to hit on at least one of them and perhaps both. Plus, guys can get hurt. After watching LG last year, I want it covered. Of course, if Duke Robinson falls, he would be a real good one, too. He could play right away. One minute I say he's gone, the next minute, he might be there...

It looks like help is on the way.

I look for the players, which the Cowboys will draft on the offensive line, to really have a chance to succeed. Part of the problem has been that the Cowboys have drafted finesse players on the line.

I look for Dallas to go for the size and power, especially at guard and center.

Dallas likes Louis Vasques, too.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Good stuff, but I notice you left out Herman Johnson. Don't like him?

silverbear

Reaction score
VACowboy;2711801 said:
Good stuff, but I notice you left out Herman Johnson. Don't like him?

Don't like players who have a hard time controlling their weight...

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
silverbear;2711846 said:

no Sebastian Vollmer or Lydon Murtha?

silverbear

Reaction score
41gy#;2711685 said:
I look for the players, which the Cowboys will draft on the offensive line, to really have a chance to succeed. Part of the problem has been that the Cowboys have drafted finesse players on the line.

I look for Dallas to go for the size and power, especially at guard and center.

I couldn't agree more... I think the Boys will be looking for Hudson Houck linemen...

Dallas likes Louis Vasques, too.

So do I... so do I...

silverbear

Reaction score
Biggems;2711907 said:
no Sebastian Vollmer or Lydon Murtha?

Leaving out Vollmer was an oversight, good call... but I think Murtha is more of a finesse lineman, better suited to be drafted by a team like the Broncos...

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
silverbear;2713259 said:
Leaving out Vollmer was an oversight, good call... but I think Murtha is more of a finesse lineman, better suited to be drafted by a team like the Broncos...

I think Murtha would be a nice fit at LT for us. He has the speed and agility to handle the quick DEs and LBs. Now he will need to get stronger to handle some of the bigger bull rushers.

silverbear

Reaction score
Biggems;2713280 said:
I think Murtha would be a nice fit at LT for us. He has the speed and agility to handle the quick DEs and LBs. Now he will need to get stronger to handle some of the bigger bull rushers.

And I'm simply not interested in drafting linemen who need to get bigger and stronger... Murtha does not fit my draft profile...

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
silverbear;2713283 said:
And I'm simply not interested in drafting linemen who need to get bigger and stronger... Murtha does not fit my draft profile...

we will disagree then, cause I am interested in Murtha.

What are your thoughts on OG Steve Rehring as a UDFA.....I think he would be a steal. He was pretty good as a G. I think Tressel made a mistake moving him to T for his senior season.

silverbear

Reaction score
Biggems;2713291 said:
we will disagree then, cause I am interested in Murtha.

What are your thoughts on OG Steve Rehring as a UDFA.....I think he would be a steal. He was pretty good as a G. I think Tressel made a mistake moving him to T for his senior season.

He's as big as a mountain, and almost as fast... :D

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
silverbear;2711846 said:

Seems to have it under control now (and in the future, w/him hiring a nutritionist & personal trainer). He is the anti-Andre Smith right now.

Herman Johnson would be a great 3rd round option. He is a Houck type of lineman, through and through.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;2711637 said:
Roger Allen, OG, Missouri Western... 6-3, 325 pounds, 5.45 second 40...

he unofficially ran a 5.29 and put up 38 reps on the bar

NFLDS compares him to Brian Winters, and even brings up Larry Allen

RS12

Reaction score
What about Canfield Cincinnati? Also why is Meredith off the boys board? Google his name and first news article has NE looking at him on his pro day March 31. If he is good enough for Belichick, he's good enough for Wade.

Woods

Reaction score
RS12;2715408 said:
What about Canfield Cincinnati? Also why is Meredith off the boys board? Google his name and first news article has NE looking at him on his pro day March 31. If he is good enough for Belichick, he's good enough for Wade.

Our drafts the last couple of years have been pretty good as well.

Just briefly looking at last year's draft for example,

NE
J Mayo, LB- Looks like v good player 16/16
T Wheatley, CB- Injury bug 6/1
S Crable, OLB - Needs time in weight room 0/0
K O'Connell, QB 2/0
J Wilhite, CB- Tough time to get into nickel and dime packages 16/4
M Slater, WR- More of a STs guy 14/0
Bo Rudd, OLB - Nothing, on IR 0/0

Dallas
F Jones- Injured, but phenominal talent 6/0
M Jenkins - Improved as year progressed, likely starter in 2009 14/3
M Bennett- Can be great if he wants to be 16/7
T Choice - Could start for several teams 16/3
O Scandrick- Looks like excellent value pick, starter material 16/2
E Walden- Cut in TC, now with Chiefs, though we wanted him on PS 15/0

silverbear

Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2715305 said:
he unofficially ran a 5.29 and put up 38 reps on the bar

NFLDS compares him to Brian Winters, and even brings up Larry Allen

I can see the Winters comparison, the Allen comparison is quite asinine... as strong as he is, he's not Allen strong, and he's nowhere CLOSE to as agile as Larry was coming out of college... Larry was running sub-5 second 40s back then...

Still, sub-5.3 is an improvement for Roger, he made himself some money with that effort...