Officially Time to Swear Off Former Minor League Baseball Players ?

deadrody

Reaction score
That makes three complete busts at QB that were former minor league baseball players - Quincy, Henson, and Hutchinson.

They need to institute a solid "No Minor League Baseball Players" policy at Valley Ranch.

deadrody

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Dude, I have nothing against any of those guys, I rooted for each and every one of them when they got on the field. Just seems pretty clear that guys that take time off from playing football to attempt a minor league baseball career are unlikely to ever become solid NFL players.

Save yourself some frustration and stay away from minor league baseball players if you are an NFL GM. Seems simple.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
deadrody said:
Dude, I have nothing against any of those guys, I rooted for each and every one of them when they got on the field. Just seems pretty clear that guys that take time off from playing football to attempt a minor league baseball career are unlikely to ever become solid NFL players.

Save yourself some frustration and stay away from minor league baseball players if you are an NFL GM. Seems simple.

Lots of examples of Baseball players being succesful in the NFL.

deadrody

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Lots of examples of Baseball players being succesful in the NFL.
Such as ? And I mean "failed" baseball players. Sure Bo Jackson and Deion were both successful two sport stars. But I'm not aware (which isn't saying much) of many successful NFL players that tried, but failed, at a baseball career.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not officially time.

It's officially PAST time.

:D

Hoov

Reaction score
deadrody said:
That makes three complete busts at QB that were former minor league baseball players - Quincy, Henson, and Hutchinson.

They need to institute a solid "No Minor League Baseball Players" policy at Valley Ranch.

that was my stance from the start, which is why i never got into any of the henson discussions.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
We should also swear off drafting o-linemen from national championship teams.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
deadrody said:
Such as ? And I mean "failed" baseball players. Sure Bo Jackson and Deion were both successful two sport stars. But I'm not aware (which isn't saying much) of many successful NFL players that tried, but failed, at a baseball career.
So we can go after successful baseball players, but not unsuccessful ones?? :laugh2:

A good talent evaluator doesn't discount talent simply because they failed at another sport. If you see talent, then give it a shot, why not?

What about "failed" basketball players?? You wanna discount them too? Adios Tony Gonzales and Antonio Gates...

If an NFL GM thinks Jeff Samardszija has talent, then he goes and fails at baseball, you can bet they'll want to try him out for football. They're not going to refuse to give him the chance simply because he failed at baseball.

Edit: Here's a failed baseball player for you... John Elway. Still feel the same way?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
So we can go after successful baseball players, but not unsuccessful ones?? :laugh2:

A good talent evaluator doesn't discount talent simply because they failed at another sport. If you see talent, then give it a shot, why not?

What about "failed" basketball players?? You wanna discount them too? Adios Tony Gonzales and Antonio Gates...

You can add one Rayfield Wright to that list. Troy Aikman played baseball. He was actually a very highly thought of prospect. Elway was a ball player as well. Steve (?) Jordan was a very succesful DB in the NFL and went on to have a very succesful career in the Majors. Ricky Williams played baseball and was a pretty succesful Football player. There are lots of guys who did OK.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
You can add one Rayfield Wright to that list. Troy Aikman played baseball. He was actually a very highly thought of prospect. Elway was a ball player as well. Steve (?) Jordan was a very succesful DB in the NFL and went on to have a very succesful career in the Majors. Ricky Williams played baseball and was a pretty succesful Football player. There are lots of guys who did OK.

Brian Jordan is who you're thinking of

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I think we should swear off attempting to sell players who have been away from the game for a lengthy period as our "future."

That's the one thing I liked about how Henson was handled. I don't feel we ever "ruined" him. I felt like we did that to Hutch, although it's arguable whether there was much to work with to begin with.

Starting an inexperienced Hutchinson as a rookie was ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as starting Carter out of the gate.

I'm actually pleased we didn't simply throw an ill-prepared Henson to the wolves.

As to the question, though, no, I'm not against looking at football-turned-baseball-players. I just think we need to do so carefully and realize it's a difficult transition after a lengthy layoff.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Brian Jordan is who you're thinking of

Your absolutly correct. It was Brian. I think Steve Jordan was a TE. Thank you for the assist on that one.

:)

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Lots of football players also play in minor league baseball, those guys I have no problem treating them like any other player, most are allowed to play then leave the minor leagues when their football seasons start. ABQCOWBOY mentioned Elway, Ricky Williams - both fit in this category.

The ones that leave football for baseball are the ones I'd stay away from...especially at QB.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

Brian Jordan.

I think it just comes down to more people fail at being a good NFL QB than succeed. It is made more difficult when they stay from playing football for a few years.

Quincy had an edge in that he went from minor league ball to playing college football for 3 years. His stint as a baseball player effected him the least. His failures had very little to do with his baseball career. Heck, it had little to do with his physical skills. It was what was between the ears, which is a QBs most important quality.

Henson and Hutch took the more difficult route. They left football when they were still developing in college and then tried to make the giant leap to the NFL. The odds of that happening aren't that good, no matter how skilled a player.

Staubach did something similar, but it was still not the same. Different era and a different person. He was Roger Staubach and these guys aren't. Neither had the college success that Staubach did. Henson showed some college success, but still did not have much college experience. I personally never was high on Hutch because he was very mediocre in college.

These guys took the toughest road to being an NFL QB, but the other roads aren't much easier.