OG Max Jean Gilles' Pro Day Workout

sago1

Reaction score
Per KFFL article, on his pro day work Max Jean Gilles measured 6-3 3/4 & weighed 343#.

I think that weight is about 12-15# less then at the combine (or was it the Senior Bowl?). Wonder if he told to knock off some weight cause it might affect his draft stock. Only knock I've seen against him is his weight when he at 358#. Reviewers believe he needs to get down to around 325; at that weight he would have more flexibility to play both OG positions and even RT. Most analysts I've seen believe he will be an immediate starter his first year so his versatility might make him attractive to Cowboys in late first round but some mock drafts have him going in 2nd. Don't know if Gilles slides to us in 2nd round, but maybe Davis Joseph or Charles Spencer would be available (no guarantee) when we pick but don't know if they can start rookie year if needed.

BTW: I do think Cowboys probably go OLB in first round (Lawson, Carpenter or Wimbley) but also could select FS Jason Allen or Ko Simpson. All could be availale if we trade down; I've seen 3 mock drafts which have Lawson going ahead of our 18th pick but most don't. Most have him either going later in first round or even in second round.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I have been watching this guy with great interest. I do not think that he can reallyget that low- as big boned as he is, and as strong as he is, getting much below 340 might be a problem. He looked pretty ripped at the combine at 358; he has already lost 15 lbs. I doubt he could lose more then maybe 5-10 extra without it starting to take away from him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I like this guy -- if he's around in the 2nd I think we take him. Really depends on whether teams prefer him over Spencer and the kid from USC. Three very good guards right there -- and all have potential to at least backup at other positions.

doomsday81

Reaction score
His official weight at The Combine was 355 but he said when he talked to the media that he planned on losing 20 pounds before the draft so he could be around 335 because that's what teams said they would like his playing weight to be. Appears that he's on his way to reaching his goal. I'll say one thing, if there's a guy with quicker feet at 355 pounds, I haven't see him. I know he's a guard but after watching him at The Combine and breaking him down on tape, I don't see any way he gets out of the first round. He's a Larry Allen-type dominator from the guard position. At least that's my take on him.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
He was on NFL Radio a few weeks ago. He said he'd ballooned up to 360, but that he was back down to 340. He said his agent and others had told him to get below 330, but he said 340 was his "natural weight".

He's talented, but his weight scares me. Wouldn't touch him in the first.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Weight does not bother me that much- a lot of college players have problems with their weight. To me that is where the interviews come in- convince the team that wants you that you know what you have to do and will do it to suceed at the pro level.

doomsday81

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Weight does not bother me that much- a lot of college players have problems with their weight. To me that is where the interviews come in- convince the team that wants you that you know what you have to do and will do it to suceed at the pro level.

It bothers Bill Parcells. Just ask Larry Allen.

burmafrd

Reaction score
big difference from a kid just starting out to trying to get a 30+ guy to change his ways.

doomsday81

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
big difference from a kid just starting out to trying to get a 30+ guy to change his ways.

A weight problem is a mental thing. Age has nothing to do with it. When a person has trouble controlling their weight, it's because they can't stop eating. Now, I'm in no way saying that Jean-Gilles has this problem. All I'm saying is age really isn't a factor in it. Remember Jamar Toombs of Texas A&M? He wasn't over 30 and he had such a terrible problem controlling his weight in college he never even made it to the pros because he was 280 pounds at The Combine. Having said all that, I think Jean-Gilles is just a big dude so I think he'll be fine. I really like him.

Reaction score
I really like Gilles, but only if we were to move down into the bottom of the 1st. At #18, we have a chance to grab a franchise quality OT, maybe a LT, such as Eric Winston, or Marcus McNeil. Both had excellent Combine showings, and are just going to keep getting better. The only thing with McNeil is his back problems, but that seems to be in the past.

If he checks out in his physical, though, you're looking at a man who is 6' 9", 335lbs., and has the foot speed to handle most speed rushers!! How in the world do you pass on a player like that? The guy was also a concensus All-American in a year of the OT. All you have to do is look at the competition he had to beat in order to be selected to realize how special he is.

This is one of the all-time greatest OT drafts, and if we don't take advantage of the skill level, especially in the 1st round, when it is definately a need position, it will make no sense at all, IMHO.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I like this guy -- if he's around in the 2nd I think we take him. Really depends on whether teams prefer him over Spencer and the kid from USC. Three very good guards right there -- and all have potential to at least backup at other positions.

we'd be better off waiting till the 3rd round to draft a OG, OGs typically don't go fast on the 1st day, since some OGs in the NFL are converted college OTs anyways, and rarely any are taken in the 1st round, and we have Gilles, Spencer, Joseph and Latui to choose from, one of them will be available when we pick in the 3rd, guaranteed, also another reason one should be available in the 3rd, is because this draft is stacked

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Cogan said:
I really like Gilles, but only if we were to move down into the bottom of the 1st. At #18, we have a chance to grab a franchise quality OT, maybe a LT, such as Eric Winston, or Marcus McNeil. Both had excellent Combine showings, and are just going to keep getting better. The only thing with McNeil is his back problems, but that seems to be in the past.

If he checks out in his physical, though, you're looking at a man who is 6' 9", 335lbs., and has the foot speed to handle most speed rushers!! How in the world do you pass on a player like that? The guy was also a concensus All-American in a year of the OT. All you have to do is look at the competition he had to beat in order to be selected to realize how special he is.

This is one of the all-time greatest OT drafts, and if we don't take advantage of the skill level, especially in the 1st round, when it is definately a need position, it will make no sense at all, IMHO.
Seems like McNeils back was still bothering him during the combnine, as most scouts say he bent from the hip a lot rather than using his legs and back.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
They typically don't get smaller as they get older. He'll be 380 by the time he's 26-27.