Oh if he were only another Charles Haley

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
The last few weeks I've been thinking about 1992 and adding Charles Haley to the roster. The 49ers had been used to winning Superbowls already having won 4 of them. The Cowboys to that point had been there 5 times with a record of 2-3. Mr. Haley had been accused of cursing out teammates, slamming lockers and yelling at coaches about practice time. You see Mr. Haley had a bad back, but was known to perform on Sundays. Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones snatched him up for 2nd round pick if I remember correctly.

Jimmy Johnson didn't care of all of Haley's antics, but he did produce. Also, if I recall correctly, Dr. Carson of the 49ers said that Charles Haley cared only to be able to produce ON Gameday. For some players, the ultimate goal is to win. Now I am not saying that either he nor T.O. will ever be another Allen Iverson. However, both wanted to be able to help the team win games. You don't win games in practice. However, you do have to help the team by being in meetings, helping younger players under what needs to be done. If you remember Charles Haley was very good at teaching other players about leverage, speed, power, how to move on the player once you had them where you wanted.

Later in the Haley years, his antics wore thin on Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy understood that he had to make sure that order was in place. I believe that Parcells will do the same with T.O. When needed he will put the "player" in his place and show him the underside of his shoe. When it's proper, T.O. will be sent packing. Just like Haley, this will be the last productive period in Terrell Owens career. With all the leg injuries, no WR will last that long. Unlike a Keyshawn Johnson, T.O. needs the speed, quick twitch motions and the undurance to go deep. I truly believe that even if T.O. helps the Boys back to glory, he will be released this off-season if nothing else changes.

Understanding what makes a player or the "player" is what Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells are very adapt at doing. Unfortunately, both had to work with Jerry Jones in very similar circumstances. However, this will most likely not be like 1992. I don't see T.O. being that last piece to a team. I believe that we can only hope that some of the younger receivers pick his brain and learn what makes an otherwise crazy man become great.

How did the trade to Dallas play out for Charles Haley? Very well. Playing for a coach (Jimmy Johnson) who demanded a lot but treated his players with a lot of respect (sound familiar?), Haley became a leader in the Cowboy locker room, helping lead them to three Super Bowl titles in four > years. Haley posted 32.5 sacks over those four seasons before back trouble caused him to retire from football for the first time (he would later return to San Francisco for a short stint as a situational pass rusher).

However Jimmy admits he treated his stars different from the 3rd string players. However, he did shout, "where are you Charles Haley!!?" and that would spark Haley to play harder even while he was fighting with his head coach.

I can only hope that in the end we hear Parcells shouting, "Where are you Terrell Owens??!??" and find that answer in the endzone with another silly, stupid, but nevertheless funny endszone celebration.

I hope, really hope, it's worth it!

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Haley never practiced because of his back ..... he was always a game time guy.

So maybe he is kinds like T.O. ............................ :)

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
why is this is the opinion zone? i vote for a move to the cowboys zone main fourm. and plus i agree hopefully terrell is like haley

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Im new, if it can be moved, I wouldn't mind at all.