Ohtani 50-50

Hoofbite

Reaction score
What a game. 6-6, 3 HR, 10 RBIs, 2 SB

That is an absolutely insane game. Hats off to the Marlins for not tucking tail and pitching around him when the score was out of hand and he was sitting on 49.

T-RO

Reaction score
Ohtani is one of the all-time greats. Top-five MLB player in history for sure, and could rival those within that all-time group.

That said...the league clearly is a for-profit-business and I suspect they had discussions and directives for the Marlins leading up to that game. The manager knew his duty and acted accordingly with his pitchers. Commendations...perhaps with a check for their cooperation is now in the mail.

Over the years we've seen lots of interesting antics in major league sports to "encourage" records to be broken, feats to be completed. This was just another chapter.

None of this, again, diminishes from my view of Ohtani as near-GOAT level.

Your man George Carlin taught us well how to be EXTREMELY skeptical about things were are told or presented. Super good wisdom, there.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
Glad it happened vs the Marlins. Hope they relocate/dead stadium next year.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Ohtani is one of the all-time greats. Top-five MLB player in history for sure, and could rival those within that all-time group.

That said...the league clearly is a for-profit-business and I suspect they had discussions and directives for the Marlins leading up to that game. The manager knew his duty and acted accordingly with his pitchers. Commendations...perhaps with a check for their cooperation is now in the mail.

Over the years we've seen lots of interesting antics in major league sports to "encourage" records to be broken, feats to be completed. This was just another chapter.

None of this, again, diminishes from my view of Ohtani as near-GOAT level.

Your man George Carlin taught us well how to be EXTREMELY skeptical about things were are told or presented. Super good wisdom, there.
lost interest in baseball in the 80's
did they asterisk all the roid records?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Where did all the stolen bases come from? He doesn't have a history of stealing a lot of bases before this year. His best season prior to this year was 26 stolen bases and he led the league that year getting caught stealing 10 times.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Where did all the stolen bases come from? He doesn't have a history of stealing a lot of bases before this year. His best season prior to this year was 26 stolen bases and he led the league that year getting caught stealing 10 times.
You remember how the NBA facilitated Jordan as regards setting records. Would not surprise me if something like this is operating here.
After all MLB hid the roid problem for years and kept denying there was one

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's possible that since he wasn't pitching this year, it was less of a risk for him to be aggressive running the bases.

It probably also helps when you play on a team with several star players so the team doesn't have to protect you like an NFL quarterback.