OK, It's not the Super Bowl but it's the Draft

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Since you are even viewing this forum you have to be a die hard Cowboys fan and in all likelyhood a draft geek like me. I love watching every pick and every hour of the draft. But I was wondering if you all have any special traditions that you do for the draft and if you make a certain food for your draft party.

I get together with a Skins fan, Giants fan, Eagles Fan , Bengals fan (Idon't understand it either) and a Rams fan. We usually have all kinds of food and the one I make every year is a favorite.

I make Bar B Q hamburgers. Man, they are great.

Anyway, Just was wondering what ya'll do for draft day or even if it's as big a deal for you as it is for us.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Sounds like fun, Cajun. I just roll out of bed, lay down on the couch and watch the draft on my own. Sometimes a friend or two might come over, but we don't do anything special except maybe order some pizza.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Since you are even viewing this forum you have to be a die hard Cowboys fan and in all likelyhood a draft geek like me. I love watching every pick and every hour of the draft. But I was wondering if you all have any special traditions that you do for the draft and if you make a certain food for your draft party.

I get together with a Skins fan, Giants fan, Eagles Fan , Bengals fan (Idon't understand it either) and a Rams fan. We usually have all kinds of food and the one I make every year is a favorite.

I make Bar B Q hamburgers. Man, they are great.

Anyway, Just was wondering what ya'll do for draft day or even if it's as big a deal for you as it is for us.

Draft weekend is a religious holiday for me... :D

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Its one of my two favorite days in a year.
1. NFL DRAFT
2. FANTASY FOOTBALL DRAFT

My day is similar to yours cajun. It just so happens that my 3 best chilhood friends all grew up NFC East fans and purely conicidentally, of different teams. I have 1 Giants fan friend, 1 Eagles fan friend, and 1 Commanders fan friend and I myself round out the group perfectly as a fan of Da Boys. It makes the season all the more interesting.
We don't have a specific meal but we crack some beers and fire up the grill and everyone brings their own choice meal.
I had to work last year during the first 15 picks of the draft. I was at work with a Walkman, sneaking outside every 10 minutes for an update. My boss finally let me go because it was a slow day and I hauled #@& home to try and catch the 22nd pick on television. I arrived just in time to hear, "With the 22nd overall pick in the 2004 NFL draft, the Dallas Cowboys select...
the 43rd overall pick."
lol

CosmicCowboy

Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better my self.. Cajun.. draft day is bigtime here too ..its a blast!

Duane

Reaction score
I take the day before and day after draft weekend off on vacation. That way I can listen to The Ticket or ESPN 103 from home uninterrupted and surf the Zone for 16+ hours a day.

As far as food goes, it's hard to beat a good steak, so I'll generally have a large rib eye/t-bone/filet. I also order a large Chicago style pizza with everything on it, including jalapeños. In the fridge there is Dr Pepper, Shiner and Dos Equis.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
The wife knows not to bother me all weekend. No trips, kids birthday parties or anything that might get me out of the house.

To not antagonize her too much for watching 20+ hours of continous draft coverage, I'll usually give myself some meaningless "project" at home, like cleaning the basement, or filing bills, which really means that I'm still in front of the big TV all weekend, while I'm pretending to do something productive.

spindoc

Reaction score
A few years ago, a few of my old college friends and I decided to hold a draft party each year. It's more of a get-together than a party, but the main thing is it gives us a chance to see each other and have some fun like the old days. This will be our fourth year. Our first few draft parties included lots of booze and modest food. Our drinking game consisted of guessing each pick in the First Round and if we were wrong, we took a shot and if you were right you could give a shot. Now that we are getting older, I think we'll bury that game and emphasize the "food" part of party…although I'm sure there will be plenty of refreshments. I was thinking steaks, potato salad, buffalo wings and chips and salsa. :D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last few years I've had to ref some basketball games for an AAU tournament. So I usually listen to it in the car until I get home. Then I veg out on the couch until it's over. I remember the year we drafted Roy, I had to ref and I had to get gas. So, I'm thinking well, I can listen to it in the car while I'm filling up. Then wouldn't you know it, they trade down. So, I'm mad because by the time I get to the school, they're just announcing whoever picked ahead of us...and I had to get out of the car. I tried to listen on my portable radio between games, but couldn't pick up the reception. I was asking coaches and fans whenever I got the chance, but they were all concerned about the freaking tournament...ugh...lol

Anyway, I've promised myself, I'm gonna stay home and watch it on the big screen. I love watching the draft...

PlayMaker88

Reaction score
Oh yea We make a big weekend of the draft every year. I get together with my friend of over 30 yrs ( a big time Dolphin fan ) and we eat like we are going to the electric chair!! All that bad stuff we normally try to avoid. We watch from start to finish. I only see this friend 3 or 4 times a year so it is really great to get together. We switch houses every year. This year he has to travel. He still has not forgiven me for throwing up on his rug when the boys traded down to pick Quincy Carter and Tony Dixon. :eek:

ghst187

Reaction score
My greatest joy is right up until draft time, I love picking out the guys who I think are going to be players and doing the research and trying to guess whom everyone is going to pick. I like exploring the options of who we should draft at what spot etc. Good stuff. Then draft day is definitely in my top 3 favorite sports days per year. Then my least favorite day is usually the day after we draft cuz we were so stupid with our picks....the ones that really threw a damper on me....passing on Boldin, drafting BJ Tucker, Justin Bates, passing on Nathan Vasher, Passing on Kevin Jones, Quincy Carter, Sean Ryan, Passing on Lee Suggs, hopefully this year i won't be throwing things because we passed on M Williams or DJ.
1. College bowl games on New Year's Day
2. March Madness
3. NFL Draft

tiller77

Reaction score
me my brother (steelers) and my friends (lions fan) (browns fan) (raiders fan) get together and do mock drafts and see who had the better first round we also make wings and drink beer and discuss football all day long one of the best days for football other than the first weekend and super bowl sunday

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear all of this. Glad to know that we aren't the only ones who view this as the next best thing to Cowboys opening day and a Cowboys Super Bowl.