OL is Killing Us

DBoys

Reaction score
Lot of you guys kept the OL in perspective and kept voicing your concerns. I for one thought we would be ok. The Minny game scared me though and the Jax game depressed me.

For those of you who kept voicing your OL concerns pat yourself on the back!

Gurode played one heck of a game guys.
Kosier also played very well.

Flo had a bad one but we can prolly mark that as rust. McQ may see some action.

Colombo had a bad game as well.

Rivera is starting to irritate me just like Al Johnson. The guy just keeps playing bad.

I really like Grizz's report on the OL.

How can we fix this guys?

landryscorner

Reaction score
i think it might be kind of late for fixing ailing problems to the OL, the only thing they can do now is execute better and gel, I'm more worried about injuries i mean if the starters played like this yesterday, I wonder how the back ups will do.....thats why I'm always saying that the OL offseason conditioning should be key, these guys are heavy, and when they dont do anything in the offseason to prepare they get sluggish, we saw that yesterday....they were tired

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DBoys said:
I really like Grizz's report on the OL.

I would never have guessed that from your near word for word rehash.

DBoys said:
How can we fix this guys?

Play a worse DL. Jax was one of the best pass rush teams in the league last year.

heir

Reaction score
I think the OL didn't play as bad as people think. Jax is one of the best Dlines in the league and they did not that bad considering that fact. Bledsoe did have time he just didn't make throws. Jones ran ok. 72 yards vs Jax is a good day to be very honest. Did they have some bad plays? Of course, but over-all they weren't that bad.

DBoys

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I would never have guessed that from your near word for word rehash.

Do you always have to be so condescending? You do it in all your posts.

Word for word :rolleyes:

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Flo sure could have used Larry Aleen next to him yesterday. When we let LA go I voiced my concern about who would support Flo as he needed time to recover from the knee. OLinemen never come back at 100% the first season after surgery and can benefit from a linemen next to them who can somewhat help them out. Cosier may have played okay at LG but to ever think he could ever provide such support to Flo would be foolish. And it showed yesterday.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
Flo sure could have used Larry Aleen next to him yesterday. When we let LA go I voiced my concern about who would support Flo as he needed time to recover from the knee. OLinemen never come back at 100% the first season after surgery and can benefit from a linemen next to them who can somewhat help them out. Cosier may have played okay at LG but to ever think he could ever provide such support to Flo would be foolish. And it showed yesterday.

Yeah. Allen had a GREAT game yesterday. He sure worked that ice bag hard all game! All that was left by the 4th was some lukewarm water.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
I think we went up against and exceptional Defensive front 7, one of the best in the league. Could we run? No. Can most teams run vs the Jags. No. However we did pretty well in pass protection, considering the competition, Drew had time to throw but he was hessitant, the Jags coverage scheme was ran well.

IMO, our real problem was no pressure on Leftwich.

lspain1

Reaction score
I'm still trying to catch up (yes, I'll never catch up but that's another conversation). Where is an analysis from Grizz on our OL yesterday (could I get a link)? Was Columbo bad? My impression at the game was, while our OL performance degraded some, Bledsoe had time to throw the great majority of the time.

Stautner

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:

There is some logic to this, however Flozell's problems were on the outside speed rush, and the guard on the inside is unable to do anything to help with that.

I actually thought the pass blocking - other than Flozell in the 2nd Half - was pretty solid. The run blocking still leaves a lot to be desired though.

DipChit

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
I'm still trying to catch up (yes, I'll never catch up but that's another conversation). Where is an analysis from Grizz on our OL yesterday (could I get a link)? Was Columbo bad? My impression at the game was, while our OL performance degraded some, Bledsoe had time to throw the great majority of the time.

Well to be sure Bledsoe had a terrible day and thus I dont think a person could say the o-line flat killed us yesterday.

But also to be sure the o-line is easily the greatest concern this team has. I'm sure that makes me Captain Obvious to some people. Yet it seems others dont share much of a concern. Which is pretty inexplicable to me when most every player has issues individually not to mention the unit has now all of but 1 game of experience playing together.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Bledsoe had time to throw yesterday bottom line.

I saw Marion Barber miss a couple of times on blitz pickup.

Flozell didnt look all that great but that was his first full game back and he has a messed up calf. He'll be fine. Dont think he'll ever stop getting penalties though.

For their very first game together I thought they looked good and they weren't the reason why we lost.

Bledsoe had the time to throw and I dont expect him to play that poorly again the rest of the season.

Someone should get a stop watch and figure out the AVG amount of time he had to throw. I bet it was pretty good.

Merlin

Reaction score
No Bledsoe is killing us. He had time, he made some very bad decisions. Jacksonville has a very good defense but Bledsoe made them look even better.

ejthedj

Reaction score
I think Grizz has man-love for Bledsoe. Just read the post, he says his name like 20 times.

And he blames Olinemen for plays that Bledsoe clearly screwed up -- for instance, the first int where he held the ball for over 5 seconds. That's good oline, not bad.

Then, he faults olinemen for making Bledsoe move a step or for when Bledsoe actually threw the ball quickly (such as Colombo's first two "mistakes"). How can a completion be bad pass protection, esp if ur QB doesn't get hit?

Grizz was probably upset, like we all are, but I alos think he was looking to justify Bledsoe's game when he watched it a second time.

The bottom line is the Oline played well. Bledsoe held the ball too long on all the ints and sacks. A couple errors against a great defense is understandable. They deserve a C+, maybe a B-. Not too bad for what we had last year. 2 sacks, pretty good rushing day, all while not winning TOP b/c our defense couldn't keep them off the field.

After it rained and Bledsoe got hurt, our offense stunk. Before that, it was great. And it was all his fault -- no the oline. Sorry Grizz