OL won’t be top speed until week 3

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
if we’ve learned anything the last 2 years it should be that the OL won’t be playing at a pro bowl level until week 3 due to lack of real practice in TC and games. This the run game will be good but not the dominant great level it will be at end of season.

Last 2 years people were concerned Martin and Frederick had regressed after week 1. Now I see people on here worried about Connor Williams because he’s not Larry Allen in a scrimmage.

This is why I expect to drop the opener vs Carolina. Having to rely on passing game early in season isn’t ideal.

glimmerman

Reaction score
if we’ve learned anything the last 2 years it should be that the OL won’t be playing at a pro bowl level until week 3 due to lack of real practice in TC and games. This the run game will be good but not the dominant great level it will be at end of season.

Last 2 years people were concerned Martin and Frederick had regressed after week 1. Now I see people on here worried about Connor Williams because he’s not Larry Allen in a scrimmage.

This is why I expect to drop the opener vs Carolina. Having to rely on passing game early in season isn’t ideal.
Other teams are in the same boat. Our Defense will be ready to hit.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
This is the only reason I have a loss to Carolina in Week 1. They have a really good D. And I don't think our offense is as good as theirs if we have to rely on the QB to make a lot of plays. We need the running game to be very good to set the tone and open up the passing game. I think it will be very difficult for us, unless we come out like gang busters in the run game wk 1. i think if played them in week 4 or later we beat them, just think week 1 is a bad match up for us.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
so if you don't beat Carolina then u cant beat the giants the next week are 02 to start the season I think this first game is a game they have to win

glimmerman

Reaction score
This is the only reason I have a loss to Carolina in Week 1. They have a really good D. And I don't think our offense is as good as theirs if we have to rely on the QB to make a lot of plays. We need the running game to be very good to set the tone and open up the passing game. I think it will be very difficult for us, unless we come out like gang busters in the run game wk 1. i think if played them in week 4 or later we beat them, just think week 1 is a bad match up for us.
We do have a REALLY GOOD run game. Our O-Line will be ready. I am seeing us set the tone early with punishing runs. Maybe some play action off that. Our Defense will be tight. We will finally see our corners playing up. We have a push up front. We will see cam running to try to make things happen. I expect the same from Dak. We got this. Unless all this about Linehan changing things up is a lie and we march the same exact Offense and scheme out there. The panthers will stack the box. This will be a important opening game to back teams out of it. Believe that every team we play this year will be watching.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
We do have a REALLY GOOD run game. Our O-Line will be ready. I am seeing us set the tone early with punishing runs. Maybe some play action off that. Our Defense will be tight. We will finally see our corners playing up. We have a push up front. We will see cam running to try to make things happen. I expect the same from Dak. We got this. Unless all this about Linehan changing things up is a lie and we march the same exact Offense and scheme out there. The panthers will stack the box. This will be a important opening game to back teams out of it. Believe that every team we play this year will be watching.

I hope you are right. But with the TC rules and limited padded practices, etc, the running game is the hardest thing to get up to speed on, because you can't get in sync without actual hitting at full speed, which rarely happens in TC and is limited in pre season by not playing the starters a lot. I think by week 3 or 4, though, our O will be one of the best in the nfl but I expect to struggle in the run game the first few weeks (by struggle I mean still decent to good but not dominate like I expect by mid season).

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think the running game will be fine at the start. However, much like it took Collins a little bit to get used to playing tackle, I think it will take Williams some time to adjust to playing guard on this level ... and I think that will show up more in the passing game with some pressures and possibly a few sacks coming from the inside.

VACowboy

Reaction score

Almost nobody is in regular season form until 4-5 games into the regular season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
if we’ve learned anything the last 2 years it should be that the OL won’t be playing at a pro bowl level until week 3 due to lack of real practice in TC and games.

Last year we were starting Green and Collins, both at new positions. This year the only new guy is Williams, who I like a hell of a lot better than Green, while I expect Collins to be pushing for a pro bowl spot.

Worry about the TEs and WRs.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

No way we lose to that fruitcake cam and his golf outfit wearing ***.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Nah, we'll be ready to go this year. Conner is the only new face.

Carolina secondary is a weakness, they'll be relying on their front 7 more than anything, but we have an OL built for that. Tyron over Addison and Collins over a 38 year old Peppers, who's still a beast but not going to overpower Collins entering his prime.

We'll also be stretching them east to west, putting Martin/William's on their LBs and making the secondary tackle Zeke. That's going to be $$. This is going to be a big focus.

I also think we'll get a little more creative with Austin/Zeke in the screen game. We want to take as many chances against the secondary, make them make plays. If they want to play a bigger set, isolate them. If they want to play a lighter set, make them tackle.

I'm looking forward to seeing DLaw lined up against their RT and playing press man.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
In 2016 the team had 101 and 102 team rushing yards the first 2 games before having 199 week 3.

Last year the team had 129, 40 and 99 it’s first 3 games before having 189 week 4.

It’s nothing against these players. They just can’t get their work in to simulate a full game. They don’t go full contact in practice and they don’t play more than a half in preseason.

Passing game is different because the whole offseason is about route running.