Oliver Hoyte is with the Cowboys

doomsday81

Reaction score
From DallasCowboys.com:

Rookie Free Agents (10):
Sam Hurd, WR, Northern Illinois (6-2, 187)
Jeff Mroz, QB, Yale (6-5, 230)
John Saldi, LB, Texas Tech (6-5, 233)
Miles Austin, WR, Monmouth (6-3, 219)
Kai Parham, LB, Virginia (6-3, 253)
Dennis Roland, OT, Georgia (6-9, 309)
Oliver Hoyte, LB, North Carolina St. (6-3, 247)
Erik Gill, TE, Pittsburgh (6-5, 275)
Stephen Bowen, DE, Hofstra (6-5, 271)
Darrell Brooks, S, Arizona (6-1, 192)

Keep an eye on this guy throughout training camp. If anyone actually goes to training camp, I would appreciate it if you could IM with info on how he's doing. As I posted earlier, myself and the other people I work with had him rated as one of the top ILB in the draft, so I'm curious to see how he does. It has to be some kind of irony that he landed with my favorite team while I get roasted at work because he wasn't even drafted. I'll tell you what? I'll take the beating and hitch my horse to the Tuna. Maybe he found the gem that I think Hoyte is. Keep me posted if you guys hear anything about him. Thanks.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
I saw that too, was wondering if somone would bring it up. I will be watching or reading for news on him to see how close you came to his evaluation. At least I hope you right on about him and his ability. That means we stole another good one.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
doomsday81 said:
From DallasCowboys.com:

Rookie Free Agents (10):
Sam Hurd, WR, Northern Illinois (6-2, 187)
Jeff Mroz, QB, Yale (6-5, 230)
John Saldi, LB, Texas Tech (6-5, 233)
Miles Austin, WR, Monmouth (6-3, 219)
Kai Parham, LB, Virginia (6-3, 253)
Dennis Roland, OT, Georgia (6-9, 309)
Oliver Hoyte, LB, North Carolina St. (6-3, 247)
Erik Gill, TE, Pittsburgh (6-5, 275)
Stephen Bowen, DE, Hofstra (6-5, 271)
Darrell Brooks, S, Arizona (6-1, 192)

Keep an eye on this guy throughout training camp. If anyone actually goes to training camp, I would appreciate it if you could IM with info on how he's doing. As I posted earlier, myself and the other people I work with had him rated as one of the top ILB in the draft, so I'm curious to see how he does. It has to be some kind of irony that he landed with my favorite team while I get roasted at work because he wasn't even drafted. I'll tell you what? I'll take the beating and hitch my horse to the Tuna. Maybe he found the gem that I think Hoyte is. Keep me posted if you guys hear anything about him. Thanks.
How different did you have Hoyte and Parham rated? Just curious.

doomsday81

Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
How different did you have Hoyte and Parham rated? Just curious.

I didn't think Parham played up to his size. I know there were a lot of questions about his speed but that didn't concern me as much. What bothered me is Parham is bigger than Hoyte but had more trouble getting off blocks. I think Hoyte is a much more physical linebacker than Parham is and will be a bigger asset on special teams, giving him more value. I had Hoyte as a 5th round prospect and Parham as a 6th, so they were rated pretty closely and neither got drafted. I just think Hoyte has much more upside if he gets with the right coach and obviously Parcells was one of a couple of coaches I had in mind. Hey, I may be wrong because every team in the NFL passed on him but if I threw in tape of Abdul Hodge and then of Hoyte, it would be hard to tell which guy got drafted in the third round and which guy is an undrafted free agent. Like I said before, there must be more to the story than just playing ability that I don't know about.

Strong

Reaction score
This analysis is very helpful for folks who didn't see these ILBs play much. Thanks.

I don't know whether to be happy that it seems every single draft pick the Boys seem to make have a great deal of Special Teams potential.

Strong.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
doomsday81 said:
I didn't think Parham played up to his size. I know there were a lot of questions about his speed but that didn't concern me as much. What bothered me is Parham is bigger than Hoyte but had more trouble getting off blocks. I think Hoyte is a much more physical linebacker than Parham is and will be a bigger asset on special teams, giving him more value. I had Hoyte as a 5th round prospect and Parham as a 6th, so they were rated pretty closely and neither got drafted. I just think Hoyte has much more upside if he gets with the right coach and obviously Parcells was one of a couple of coaches I had in mind. Hey, I may be wrong because every team in the NFL passed on him but if I threw in tape of Abdul Hodge and then of Hoyte, it would be hard to tell which guy got drafted in the third round and which guy is an undrafted free agent. Like I said before, there must be more to the story than just playing ability that I don't know about.
How long have you ben scouting? Did you scout Fowler 2 years ago? How would you compare them?

doomsday81

Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
How long have you ben scouting? Did you scout Fowler 2 years ago? How would you compare them?

I've been at my job for three years so I did get a chance to scout Fowler. I think he is what he is. A decent backup and special teams player. I thought he was the kind of player who could make a team and contribute but he's better suited in the backup role. Hoyte plays with a much meanier streak. He punishes people like they did something personal too him. Parham is just the opposite. He has the body to play physical but seems to shy away from it. I don't really remember a lot about Fowler other than I thought he may be a decent backup. I don't think he has the upside of a Hoyte, who plays with such a physical style that's hard to teach. The other thing I like about Hoyte is his instincts. He hits the hole before the play gets there and then drives the ball carrier back. He rarely hits someone and goes backwards. I don't know if he would fit in well with a 4-3 team but I think he's perfect for a 3-4 scheme.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I really like Hoyte and think he has a real good chance at making it... along with Parham.

However, a lot of people really liked Goolsby last year out of Notre Dame and they were real excited to see us pick him up as an UDFA last year. I was hearing the same things about him as I'm hearing about Parham and Hoyte... expected him to be drafted but he wasn't and we're lucky to have picked him up without using a pick on him.

I'm just saying that, although I really do like both LB's... I'm going to temper my enthusiasm for Hoyte and Parham a little until I hear some positive reports out of camp.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Hoyte vs. Parham is one of the training camp battles that I think should be interesting. One of the two has a good chance to stick.

T-Bone 625

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I really like Hoyte and think he has a real good chance at making it... along with Parham.

However, a lot of people really liked Goolsby last year out of Notre Dame and they were real excited to see us pick him up as an UDFA last year. I was hearing the same things about him as I'm hearing about Parham and Hoyte... expected him to be drafted but he wasn't and we're lucky to have picked him up without using a pick on him.

I'm just saying that, although I really do like both LB's... I'm going to temper my enthusiasm for Hoyte and Parham a little until I hear some positive reports out of camp.

I was thinking the same thing earlier today. Goolsby seemed like a great UDFA signing last year considering our needs at the time. Their is a reason these guys didn't get drafted. Hopefully one or both of them suprises and we have a real steal, but don't hang your hats on UDFA's.