On not having a "named" offensive coordinator

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
Last night during the Pats game it was pointed out that like us the Pats no longer have a "named" OC. I was thinking if a possible reason for doing this would be to protect a young talent like Peyton from getting snatched up by the next team looking for a HC. If we keep the playcaller ambiguous, is it more likely that he will fly under the radar? This of course is under the assumption that our offense will be productive. This may be an indication of who we may be grooming to fill BP's shoes once he decides to hang it up. What do you guys/gals think?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Richmond Cowboy said:
Last night during the Pats game it was pointed out that like us the Pats no longer have a "named" OC. I was thinking if a possible reason for doing this would be to protect a young talent like Peyton from getting snatched up by the next team looking for a HC. If we keep the playcaller ambiguous, is it more likely that he will fly under the radar? This of course is under the assumption that our offense will be productive. This may be an indication of who we may be grooming to fill BP's shoes once he decides to hang it up. What do you guys/gals think?

I doubt it. NFL people know who Sean Payton is. If anything, this would make it easier to hire him as an offensive coordinator since he wouldn't be making a lateral move.

I tend to think its more of a BP/BB way of making a guy earn his way.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I think maybe one reason we don't have one is that Payton is officially an "assistant head coach". Doesn't that rank him, for lack of a better term, above an offensive coordinator? I thought that was done back when the Raiders were courting him, and was one of the things that supposedly ticked off Maurice Carthon.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
Not sure but the offensive performance this year will say a lot about who may be our next coach.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I think maybe one reason we don't have one is that Payton is officially an "assistant head coach". Doesn't that rank him, for lack of a better term, above an offensive coordinator? I thought that was done back when the Raiders were courting him, and was one of the things that supposedly ticked off Maurice Carthon.

Thats a good point, but I think that actually was done so that he could make the move to Dallas from the Giants.