On That Was TG Weak Thread

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
I guess it got silly and/or profane and got deleted?

But I was in the midst of getting in my 2 cents so don't want my efforts to get wasted.

Since it's all TO, all the time, I figure I'm 'entitled'.

KD;1059075 said:
when I thought TG was weak.

He would (expletive deleted) go out of bounds instead of taking a big hit and fighting for extra yards or go down as soon as he felt he would be tackled?

Am I crazy? Do you remember it that way when he first got here?

Now he is a (expletive deleted) warrior. I don't know, anyone else remember it that way?

Well, I don't exactly remember it that way.

The way I remember it was that in NE and in Green Bay he was so physically unprepossessing that he strictly resembled the pre-Irvin-Owens-Johnson-AJ breed of lithe, speedy Bambi-style NFL receivers who were not expected to be aggressive blockers, not expected to make a living over the middle, and not expected to stay in bounds after a reception to eke out another yard.

The new breed of NFL receiver (and the transition is a fascinating piece of NFL history, taking us to the college game and recruiting practices for the origin of the evolution) put the TG go/Z route guys in danger of becoming extinct. Unless blessed with a Payton Manning and/or an OC who highly values gifted, but one dimensional receivers, the small speed guys are not preferred over the do-all, bigger but still fast wideouts who in some cases are glorified tight-ends.

I think Terry personally did two things to avoid going the way of the dinosaur. One, under Sherman in GB and Bill here he diversified his route repertoire (including more over the middle patterns), and two, he trained himself into a physique that is virtually unrecognizable from how he looked in New England. He is simply much stronger than he was.

I think the blocking area is one which epitomizes the extent of Terry's development. Bill mentioned in one pc that it was 'not his forte', and I can remember when the novelty of throwing even a decent downfield block was so thrilling to Terry that in an 03 preseason game he mugged T-Ham in delight after Troy scored a TD accompanied by a Glenn block. T-Ham was like "so what's the big deal?" But Terry was thrilled. He subsequently promised in a press report 'to block his *** off", (sorry BP, if that hits the language filter), so it's clear the intention was there.

Now when we see him block a defender for a team-mate as he did so well two weeks ago on the Jones TD, it's no surprise. He'll never be a Keyshawn in that area, but he's no longer a liability.

I never thought TG alligator-armed it to an alarming degree (tho if Chris Collingsworth catches you once, you're labled for life), and he's never been in any season tagged like a Todd Pinkston. But like many of them, and most of his size, he appears to use 'judgement' re the risks and the rewards. On the other hand, he lays his body out like few of them do... his degree of agility gives him the oportunity to go for balls other receivers don't have a shot at. I don't think I have seen one wideout take as many high 'falls' in his career - and most always, he comes down with the ball.

I do not think he EVER was 'weak' in Dallas, but that his injury history, the infamous 'she' comment, and anti-retread "Parcells Guys" sentiment in general set the stage for him having to prove himself more than once. And of course, as Danny said so well, being fantasy football "poison" for years led to belief he would disappoint.
When folks 'remember' hin as 'weak', I think it's more popular perception than the way he really plays the game.

In 2003 he was the most complete receiver on the squad, but got little recognition for it. Few noticed how hard he had to be working out to have gotten so much bigger, or gave him credit for running the middle of the field patterns, or for developing chemistry with Carter.

In 04 he was on schedule for a great year, and had really connected with VT before getting hurt . The injury, a Lisfranc, was one that was not 'fraility' related, but it just deepened the feeling that he was weak and unreliable.

Last year I think we saw TG at his best - still fast, still quick, still remarkably agile, still very sure-handed and focused on the ball, knowledgable about routes, defender tendencies, and the tricks of the experienced wideout, but with increased strength and stamina.

Still, Bill has said more than once that he tries to 'save' Terry in practices, and that he doesn't want him playing every offensive play. The best Bill insight was the comparison with the Porsche, and the understanding that you can get tremendously high performance from a 'fine-tuned' athlete (again Bill's words) when you know how to use him right.

There's nothing T. has done on-field here that has surprised me one bit - not the stay-in-bounds sidelines toe control, nor the leaping reception that had McKenzie reeling in preseason, nor the moves and fakes he puts on defenders, nor the ability to hang on when thunderously and/or dangerously tackled, nor any of what are growing into a considerable collection of highlight catches for Dallas.

What HAS surprised me is he has buffed up enough to be given key blocking assignments and redzone end around type runs.

He'll never be an Owens or a Key but pound for pound I doubt that are many players who are tougher.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Tass;1059456 said:
Glenn is the man.

That is all.

Imagine my chagrin when after writing all that, I got the message "this forum is not accepting any new posts.":laugh2:

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra;1059458 said:
Imagine my chagrin when after writing all that, I got the message "this forum is not accepting any new posts.":laugh2:

See...you could have saved yourself all that typing and just said what I said. :banghead:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
i am glad there are so many fans of Terry Glenn. I cant wait to get the video done, I am just waiting to get it just how I want it...

But I have every catch as a cowboy in a file and he has been fantastic.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm a big TG fan myself. Great hands, very quick/quiet, and basically, who could hate TG?? Very likable.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Terry is one of my favorite Cowboys, for sure. And he became that by earning my respect and admiration. He has played very well and been a great teammate, by all accounts. Frankly, I didn't think he was as good as he is when he first got here... but he has proven me wrong, thankfully. He's really found a home in Dallas and I couldn't be happier. IMO, he's a perfect compliment to T.O. and a true cowboy.

jay cee

Reaction score
Great Post again Latuna. Now i don't even have to read the other thread.