Twitter: On this day in 2002, Emmitt Smith became all-time NFL rushing leader

Mark

Reaction score
As of today, Derrick Henry & Zeke are the top two active rushing leaders...and they're both trailing Emmitt's record by approximately 10,000 yds.

John813

Reaction score
That record should stand another twenty years...
I think it's currently unbreakable with contracts, and the push towards the passing game/having RB's that can catch as well as they can run between the tackles.
You would need a RB that is not only durable, but has the ability to be elite for almost a decade and then still be able to be the #1 back when he slows down

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Micah or Dlaw should have a big game
I'll never forget when Emmitt came to the Cowboys. In his rookie year, you could tell he was a special player. The oline was not anything special. When they saw how good he was, it seemed the oline picked their game up. That was what I saw. Emmitt lit the fire to a dull offense.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I will never forgive Bruce Coslet for screwing us out of win in that game by pushing to start Chad Hutchinson. For all his faults Quincy Carter was the best QB on that team and frankly would have won the game the previous week in AZ were it not for the missed extra point. Coslet's love affair with Hutchinson caused him to bench Carter AND waste many a game not giving Emmitt the damn ball which in the end robbed Emmitt of his 10th or 11th straight 1000 yard season. By the end of the season damn near everybody else on the offense was banged up and Emmitt couldn't even manage a measly 50 yards to get over the 1K mark.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
That record should stand another twenty years...
Maybe longer. There is no young RB on pace to beat any of Emmitt's career records. Plus, the game has changed to favor the passing game and has devalued the running game.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Jim Brown held the career rushing yards record for about 20 years until Payton. Payton held it approximately 15 years until Emmitt. Emmitt will add the NFL record for longest reign as all time rushing yardage leader soon.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Jim Brown held the career rushing yards record for about 20 years until Payton. Payton held it approximately 15 years until Emmitt. Emmitt will add the NFL record for longest reign as all time rushing yardage leader soon.
I'm pretty sure Emmitt already has that record.. this being the 21st year he has owned it. Brown owned it from October 20th of 1963 to Ocotber 7th of 1984 when Payton broke his.. Then Emmitt broke Payton's record in October of 2002. So as of October 7th Emmitt had already passed Brown as the longest tenured holder of that record. And unless something drastically changes, he will hold it for another 20 years!

Thomas82

Reaction score
I will never forgive Bruce Coslet for screwing us out of win in that game by pushing to start Chad Hutchinson. For all his faults Quincy Carter was the best QB on that team and frankly would have won the game the previous week in AZ were it not for the missed extra point. Coslet's love affair with Hutchinson caused him to bench Carter AND waste many a game not giving Emmitt the damn ball which in the end robbed Emmitt of his 10th or 11th straight 1000 yard season. By the end of the season damn near everybody else on the offense was banged up and Emmitt couldn't even manage a measly 50 yards to get over the 1K mark.
That would have actually been Emmitt's 12th straight 1,000-yard season. We definitely lost that game to the Seahawks because Emmitt didn't get the ball enough.