One of the most interesting battles to me...

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Is the 5th Wide Reciever spot.. Owens, Glenn, Crayton, and Green have the top 4 nailed down, no doubt.. and we will definitely keep 5.. I honestly think that you could put five names in a hat right now and pull one out and have as good a chance picking who will nail down that 5th spot..

here are the guys:

Terrance Copper
Jamaica Rector
J.R. Tolver
Sam Hurd
Miles Austin

Copper has the experience over the other guys, but Parcells already knows what he can do and may not be impressed with his "ceiling".. his special teams play is a plus, but the Cowboys have so many good special teamers that it may not make a difference.. The other guys are all young, undrafted free agents that have been turning some heads at training camp.. Each of their "ceilings" and potential could be higher than Copper's.. Each of them have a definite strength that goes in their favor (size, speed, etc).. At this point, from what I've read so far, I'm gonna make a guess that Sam Hurd is gonna be the guy.. But I'm only about 20% sure..

AbeBeta

Reaction score
We may not keep 5 WRs.

Count it out. We've got a minimum of the following below. 2 exta spots. 5 WR is no lock

9 OL
3 QB
3 RB
4 TE
4 WR

fortdick

Reaction score
The third QB does not have to take a roster spot. But I think that you may be right about not keeping five WR's, especially if we run a two TE set as the base. Wouldn't need five.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
abersonc said:
We may not keep 5 WRs.

Count it out. We've got a minimum of the following below. 2 exta spots. 5 WR is no lock

9 OL
3 QB
3 RB
4 TE
4 WR
I'd be really really surprised if we don't keep five.. I don't see us keeping an extra OL, especially with the diversity of guys like Kosier and Gurode.. but we might with the uncertainty there.. As much as Parcells likes TEs, I doubt if he keeps an extra one, especially with Pierce gone for the year.. We might keep another RB, especially if Polite makes a strong case to keep him around.. no way do we keep an extra QB.. WR is a position that is prone to injury.. and the talent we have competing there makes it harder not to keep an extra one.. the talent of a Hurd or a Copper is more than that of a Sean Ryan or a Tony Curtis..

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
But I'm only about 20% sure..
:laugh2:

Nice.

FWIW, Hurd would be my guess as well. I don't know much about his ST ability though.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I think you gotta keep a fifth WR for special teams and Copper will most likely be that guy. We have a lot of good guys but Copper is as good as any of them.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
Is the 5th Wide Reciever spot.. Owens, Glenn, Crayton, and Green have the top 4 nailed down, no doubt.. and we will definitely keep 5.. I honestly think that you could put five names in a hat right now and pull one out and have as good a chance picking who will nail down that 5th spot..

here are the guys:

Terrance Copper
Jamaica Rector
J.R. Tolver
Sam Hurd
Miles Austin

Copper has the experience over the other guys, but Parcells already knows what he can do and may not be impressed with his "ceiling".. his special teams play is a plus, but the Cowboys have so many good special teamers that it may not make a difference.. The other guys are all young, undrafted free agents that have been turning some heads at training camp.. Each of their "ceilings" and potential could be higher than Copper's.. Each of them have a definite strength that goes in their favor (size, speed, etc).. At this point, from what I've read so far, I'm gonna make a guess that Sam Hurd is gonna be the guy.. But I'm only about 20% sure..

not so fast on Green. he has to show more on punt returns and that will come in preseason games, that's why parcells is asking Newmann to take punt returns seriously. Sam Hurd has been turning some heads, so has Jamaica Rector. so don't think Green is sure thing because of him being drafted. I think Coppers is out. Miles AUstin is a PS candidate. Don't know much about Tolver.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it will be Rector or Hurd.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
I think you gotta keep a fifth WR for special teams and Copper will most likely be that guy. We have a lot of good guys but Copper is as good as any of them.

So this 5th WR. He's not going to be active on gameday very much. So what does his ST ability matter?

ddh33

Reaction score
I'm almost positive the team will keep 5. I think there are more than five receivers here good enough to make a roster, but I can't imagine Bill keeping six.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
fortdick said:
The third QB does not have to take a roster spot.

Just for clarification:

The third QB counts against the 53, he just doesn't count against the 45 active on game day.

sago1

Reaction score
I think we'll keep 5 WRs cause risk of injury to these guys is high. TO & Glenn along with Crayton (who really looking good) are locks; also think if Green looks good as a punt returner he also makes team maybe as #5th but he's not there as a WR that we can count on. So #4 WR is open with Copper, Hurd & Rector probably heading the list.

Also think you can't rule out that we keep 10 OL given our troubles last year.

Offense:
2 C - Johnson/Gurode
4 OT - Adams/Pettiti/Colombo/Fabini. Parcells said in his PC that Fabini now at the point where his strength is starting to come back.
4 - OG Kosier/Riveria & probably Peterman & Proctor. Parcells said in his PC that among young players he's forcefeeding some and cited McQuistan & Proctor as guys picking it up who showing improvement. Since McQuistan an OT and no mention of Peterman, don't know if we only keep 3 OG (add Gurode in as a G) and maybe McQuistan does make the team.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
think there are more than five receivers here good enough to make a roster,

Really, here's what I see happening.

First, there will be at least on guy who makes a handful of catches in the 4th quarter of preseason games 1 and 2.

Second, Matt Mosley is going to write a story about one of them -- you know how he's fighting the odds but Haley likes him and he's got a good shot at making the team. At this point, there will be a 5 page thread on this board about how great our scouts are to uncover such a great prospect.

Third, this player catches maybe 1 or 2 easy balls during the rest of pre-season. Undaunted, members of the board continue to talk the kid up and project him as making the final roster. Oh, I can't wait for the next "My 53 man roster" thread!!

Fourth, this guy misses the last cut, again prompting a multi-page thread full of comments like "he'll never make it through waivers" and "we are going to regret this one!"

Finally, we sign the kid to the practice squad where he does nothing and gets released in week 7 so that we can bring in an O-line prospect.

Sound about right?

CooterBrown

Reaction score
abersonc said:

First, there will be at least on guy who makes a handful of catches in the 4th quarter of preseason games 1 and 2.

Second, Matt Mosley is going to write a story about one of them -- you know how he's fighting the odds but Haley likes him and he's got a good shot at making the team. At this point, there will be a 5 page thread on this board about how great our scouts are to uncover such a great prospect.

Third, this player catches maybe 1 or 2 easy balls during the rest of pre-season. Undaunted, members of the board continue to talk the kid up and project him as making the final roster. Oh, I can't wait for the next "My 53 man roster" thread!!

Fourth, this guy misses the last cut, again prompting a multi-page thread full of comments like "he'll never make it through waivers" and "we are going to regret this one!"

Finally, we sign the kid to the practice squad where he does nothing and gets released in week 7 so that we can bring in an O-line prospect.

Sound about right?

I believe you are cynically correct. (that is like being politically correct, except more in touch with reality.)

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
abersonc said:

Sound about right?

I see what you mean, especially with fan favorites like Tom Crowder and whoever the fast guy (Merrit) is that were here last year. But I see it slightly different:

Our 5th receiver slot depends on what happens at RB/TE. If Polite proves that he is worth keeping, we may keep 4 RB and only 3 TE, with Polite being a swing guy there. OR, if Polite can prove that he can actually be a ball carrier as well, we might not even see Tyson Thompson anymore (which won't destroy me) and go 3 RB and 4 or 3 TE.

I don't think it is a lock that we carry 4 TE - it is a good chance that we will, but Ryan would have to play pretty good ST. And this point, I don't think his ST play will out do Copper's ST play.

I think that people really overlook what Copper brings to the table on ST. He and Davis are very good commodities to play the Gunner position, which can be tough to find. Hurd or Rector would have to prove that they can handle duties like this, or Green has to prove his ST assetts are worth it.

Me, personally, I'd rather have the 3 TE and 4 RB, or 3 even if Polite can take over for Thompson (who still baffles me that this board love him so much), because I really like what I'm hearing about Hurd, or I really really would like to keep Copper if possible.

I'll say this - if we keep 5, I don't see it as a lock that Green will make the active roster on Sundays - it could still be TO, Glenn, Crayton and Copper. The tough thing about that is how little value Copper brings as a receiver.