One Question Informs how you Approach the Deadline

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This team is close. It is hard to quantify "one player away" but they are certainly one of the best 4 teams in the NFC.

This is one of those moments where you have to ask yourself one simple question. Do you actually believe this team is a Super Bowl threat in the current landscape?

Your answer to this question will tell you everything you need to know about how any NFL team should approach the trade deadline.

If the answer is yes, you add to your roster in an area (or areas) of weakness, even if it comes at the expense of a few draft picks. If the answer is no, you have to start considering if the core group of players and the current coaching staff will ever be good enough to be a true contender and if not, you must give thought to some sort of reset. We call this having a coherent team building strategy.

I believe that from an objective point of view, the Cowboys are one of the best teams in the league and have a legitimate chance at making a Super Bowl for the first time in nearly three decades. For this reason, it is almost a total no brainer to make a move or two and go for all of the marbles this year.

Now, as many have correctly pointed out, sometimes these all-in moves do not result in championships, but rarely does standing pat unless you have already built a juggernaut going into the season. The Eagles were not ruined long term just because Robert Quinn did not come in midseason and power them to another Super Bowl (but they were dang close). Neither were the 49ers after trading for CMAC. Like these other teams, the Cowboys would still be competitive next season if they dealt more picks for players this year.

The Cooks and Gilmore moves were excellent uses of mid-late round draft picks when you already have a contending roster and it was refreshing to see the front office being proactive rather than reactive going into the season. This tells you everything that you need to know about their belief in whether or not this is a contending group. They clearly do. The logical choice in this case is to continue to add. The time is now to seize the moment and try to go on a run.

It is human nature to fear failure, but the only thing worse then failing is never having tried in the first place.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team is close. It is hard to quantify "one player away" but they are certainly one of the best 4 teams in the NFC.

This is one of those moments where you have to ask yourself one simple question. Do you actually believe this team is a Super Bowl threat in the current landscape?

Your answer to this question will tell you everything you need to know about how any NFL team should approach the trade deadline.

If the answer is yes, you add to your roster in an area (or areas) of weakness, even if it comes at the expense of a few draft picks. If the answer is no, you have to start considering if the core group of players and the current coaching staff will ever be good enough to be a true contender and if not, you must give thought to some sort of reset. We call this having a coherent team building strategy.

I believe that from an objective point of view, the Cowboys are one of the best teams in the league and have a legitimate chance at making a Super Bowl for the first time in nearly three decades. For this reason, it is almost a total no brainer to make a move or two and go for all of the marbles this year.

Now, as many have correctly pointed out, sometimes these all-in moves do not result in championships, but rarely does standing pat unless you have already built a juggernaut going into the season. The Eagles were not ruined long term just because Robert Quinn did not come in midseason and power them to another Super Bowl (but they were dang close). Neither were the 49ers after trading for CMAC. Like these other teams, the Cowboys would still be competitive next season if they dealt more picks for players this year.

The Cooks and Gilmore moves were excellent uses of mid-late round draft picks when you already have a contending roster and it was refreshing to see the front office being proactive rather than reactive going into the season. This tells you everything that you need to know about their belief in whether or not this is a contending group. They clearly do. The logical choice in this case is to continue to add. The time is now to seize the moment and try to go on a run.

It is human nature to fear failure, but the only thing worse then failing is never having tried in the first place.
How many "All In" moves has KC made?
- They traded "away" one of their top players (Tyreek Hill).

Same question abou the Pats during their run of 6 Super Bowl wins.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Cowboys are close. Are they a super bowl threat? Realistically I'd say no. I don't think the most important position in professional sports is good enough for that.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How many "All In" moves has KC made?
- They traded "away" one of their top players (Tyreek Hill).

Same question abou the Pats during their run of 6 Super Bowl wins.
my answer to you:

Now, as many have correctly pointed out, sometimes these all-in moves do not result in championships, but rarely does standing pat unless you have already built a juggernaut going into the season.
These teams are the exception because they have transcendent QBs.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Cowboys are close. Are they a super bowl threat? Realistically I'd say no. I don't think the most important position in professional sports is good enough for that.
Well then there is your answer. Stand pat this year and reformat the roster starting next season.

conner01

Reaction score
To me the question is there anyone who is the guy that makes enough difference to get a SB and I don’t see THAT guy. Sweat wouldn’t have been that much bigger of an impact, another WR? I just don’t see a guy that is THAT guy. The Johnson trade has some logic for next year since Gilmore is likely gone but only at the right price in draft capital since he’s a FA too

Majic

Reaction score

I couldn't disagree with you more. (But a nice post). You need to pay your studs and keep your top picks to draft the next studs. That way you can be in contention for a long time (If you have a QB)

Creeper

Reaction score
I think if you have an injury and lose a key player leaving a big hole in the roster, it makes sense to make a trade. The only time to make a trade is when you can make a big improvement somewhere in the lineup.

Looking at the Cowboys, their biggest weakness right now is offensive line. But if you make a trade who do you get and who sits as a reult of the trade? The other weakness is probably defensive line or CB. The Cowboys are good on the DL but could be more dominant inside. They can get by with the CBs they have but what happens if they get another injury?

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I couldn't disagree with you more. (But a nice post). You need to pay your studs and keep your top picks to draft the next studs. That way you can be in contention for a long time (If you have a QB)
This is a totally fair assessment. I generally would align with your point of view, but these modern NFL front offices that the Cowboys are in contention with seem like they will always make sure any future Cowboys championship run will be more unlikely than not.

Staying in contention for the long term and expecting that the law of averages will eventually reward you is a valid strategy, I am just beginning to question the results that we’ve gotten the last 10 years.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I think if you have an injury and lose a key player leaving a big hole in the roster, it makes sense to make a trade. The only time to make a trade is when you can make a big improvement somewhere in the lineup.

Looking at the Cowboys, their biggest weakness right now is offensive line. But if you make a trade who do you get and who sits as a reult of the trade? The other weakness is probably defensive line or CB. The Cowboys are good on the DL but could be more dominant inside. They can get by with the CBs they have but what happens if they get another injury?
The Cowboys need a LB, and o-linemen...for starters and/or depth.

Otherwise, they should keep their draft picks.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Get me Donald and Henry, and you go to the Super Bowl and win the Super Bowl.

Jimmy Johnson had a playoff defense with a contending team but still traded for Charles Haley. So any no trade and believing this team is Super Bowl is just apologetic musing over having Jerry Dumbo GM Jones as owner, GM, and defacto Head Coach.

The Rams RBs ran on this defense like everyone else that decided to run the ball, and redzone offense is affected by no 12 rushing TD RB named Ezekiel Elliott. So that is what is missing, an impact DT, and TD rushing RB.