Opinion: Watkins will be the starting FS by mid-season

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
IMHO, Watkins will be the starting FS by mid-season. I don't think Percells will start him right away at FS because he will want to gain Watkin's trust first. Parcells will do that by playiying Watkins in the Nickel first, and I think Watkins will hold his own and prove to Parcells he deserves to be on the field full time. In the meantime, Keith Davis will be starter, while Watkins plays on special tems. And by mid- season, I have a feeling that Keith Davis will be moved to special teams full-time and in the Nickel safety spot, while Watkins will see less special teams and become the starter at FS. This is no knock on Davis either. He's clearly our best special-teamer, and if Watkins proves to be the better FS then this potential development will be win-win for the players and the team, all the way around. What are your thoughts?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
It may not take that long. He may be starting opening day if he keeps improving at the same rate he has been. The guy is a freak of nature and has been getting better each day from all I read and hear.

Jay

Reaction score
I liked Parcells' quote about how he once started 2 rookie safeties while in New England (I know one of them was Milloy). He said that starting a rookie safety won't help you sleep at night.

And I think this is true. You know Parcells and how he likes to keep his team fresh. At the very least, I expect Watkins to compete for the starting job, and even if he loses, he will still get good playing time. Not to mention I believe he'll have a very big effect on special teams.

As Parcells has said time and time again though, if his safeties can't tackle then they are worthless to him. It seems Pat can tackle, just that Parcells wished he were about 10 pounds heavier. Imagine what he could turn into in a couple years?

Duane

Reaction score
Dangerous Dave said:
Watkins can more than hold his own on ST.
During the draft one of the Cowboys scouts said that Watkins was an elite special teams gunner. So he'll get plenty of time on ST this year for sure.