Opinions anyone?

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
which player(s) do you think can ,and will step up as fired up leaders on this team......?

do you think anyone is already playing that role (or trying)?

sago1

Reaction score
Need to remember we had no leaders during the Parcells years. So this year we had the beginnings of leadership from some of our young players but I didn't hear much about any of them (Romo/Witten/James/Davis) getting on anybody's case. Now I did hear/read where TO (appointed captain by Phillips) nicely got on Gurode during the Commanders game because of his bad snaps to Romo in the shotgun. TO was quoted as saying something like "hey we really need you (Gurode) to play/snap like you usually do. You know you can do it."

Would like to see these players and maybe a few others (understand Hamlin QBd the secondary as best he could) step up the level of leadership to the point they feel comfortable taking a player to task when necessary. Other teams have such leaders (NE for example) but usually it's the vets who do that job and we don't got the vets who can; Ellis while respected doesn't seem to hold a leadership role anymore.

One of the media types mentioning that Newman and Ware need to step up into leadership roles whether they have that type of personality or note. We will see. Romo as our QB is certainly an important leader and now that he will be entering his 2nd season as the starter could become more vocal in the lockerroom. But at this point in time it doesn't seem like any of them want to jump on each others cases -- Crayton's mouth, etc.

links18

Reaction score
Gurode sure stank it up at times for a Pro Bowl Center:(

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
sago1;1911773 said:
Need to remember we had no leaders during the Parcells years. So this year we had the beginnings of leadership from some of our young players but I didn't hear much about any of them (Romo/Witten/James/Davis) getting on anybody's case. Now I did hear/read where TO (appointed captain by Phillips) nicely got on Gurode during the Commanders game because of his bad snaps to Romo in the shotgun. TO was quoted as saying something like "hey we really need you (Gurode) to play/snap like you usually do. You know you can do it."

Would like to see these players and maybe a few others (understand Hamlin QBd the secondary as best he could) step up the level of leadership to the point they feel comfortable taking a player to task when necessary. Other teams have such leaders (NE for example) but usually it's the vets who do that job and we don't got the vets who can; Ellis while respected doesn't seem to hold a leadership role anymore.

One of the media types mentioning that Newman and Ware need to step up into leadership roles whether they have that type of personality or note. We will see. Romo as our QB is certainly an important leader and now that he will be entering his 2nd season as the starter could become more vocal in the lockerroom. But at this point in time it doesn't seem like any of them want to jump on each others cases -- Crayton's mouth, etc.
no owens is a "self appointed" captain. Romo must step up and be the leader/captain of the offense. the defense has a big problem with the leader situation

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Rampage;1911844 said:
no owens is a "self appointed" captain. Romo must step up and be the leader/captain of the offense. the defense has a big problem with the leader situation

I absolutely loved the way Romo yelled at his O linemen. And well he should have. The lack of blocking in the second half of "that game" was abysmal.
Him yelling at them was a refreshing change from the shurgs and wry smiles he used much of the season when blocking broke down.

Absolutely, Romo must step up and I think he will.

I would love for Newman/Ware to take charge for the defense.

I want to see Newman more vocal on the field and get his troops to playing hard on every play.
I want to see Ware take charge for the line and get his teammates to play with the verve and skill and intensity that he uses.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
dadymat;1911689 said:
which player(s) do you think can ,and will step up as fired up leaders on this team......?

do you think anyone is already playing that role (or trying)?

They arent on the team yet.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Can you imagine how scary D-ware would be if he actually spoke on the field.

His talent with a mouth like Ray Lewis or something. Scary.

I hope Crayton learns we DONT want him speaking up anymore. Have we ever won a game where he opened his mouth the week before

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a real problem with this team. There isn't any leaders. It drives me nuts. Where is the helmet throwin' Charles Haley when you need him?

This team needs leadership and a set of nuggets.

sago1

Reaction score
We might have to find/sign a vet with SB experience whose got the balls to rip any of our players on the field who are screwing up or not playing with intensity and smarts.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Sarge;1911948 said:
That's a real problem with this team. There isn't any leaders. It drives me nuts. Where is the helmet throwin' Charles Haley when you need him?

This team needs leadership and a set of nuggets.

In all these many, many "Fire Wade!" threads, that's exactly what I've been saying-firing Wade and replacing him, with, let's say, Ron Rivera, Steve Spagnuola, or Mike Singletary(guys with FIRE) is NOT the answer.

Sure-I'm not a fan of what Wade squandered recently. However-there DO need to be some changes on this team, and that being players who have just as much talent ABOVE THEIR NECK as BELOW.

So like I said, fire Wade, keep the roster, and the results and continuing cycle will be the same every single year.:banghead:

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd really like to see Ware step up (as a leader) but it's not his personality. Romo should be the guy for the offense but the defense needs a leader, badly.

Perhaps Roys replacement next year may be the guy.......... ;)

2much2soon

Reaction score
I think the defensive leadership issue has been overlooked to a large degree when considering the breakdowns at critical moments.
And I think the media saying player X should be a leader because he is a great player is just silly. It doesn't work that way.

Brady James seems to be considered a leader, possibly self-appointed, but a guy that disappears for long stretches of games can't really be considered a leader no matter how much he wants to be.

I also got the sense Hamlin might be the guy. But beyond that? Maybe Ratliff? Ware, Newman, Ellis, Roy W, don't seem to have the personality.

This is a case where Dat Nguyen retiring early hurt this team. He was a defensive qb and seemed to be a leader out there.