Opposite ends of the spectrum...

Verdict

Reaction score
Right now, as it currently stands, we are in the 8th position, two spots out of the playoff race. Realistically, we may have to win 11 games (go 4 and 1) down the stretch to get into the playoffs. That appears to be a pretty tall order, though we definitely have the talent to get there. If you look at from this point of view, with little margin of error available, the odds are stacked a little bit against us getting into the playoffs unless we get some help (which IS somewhat likely, since many of the teams trying to get in play each other.

However, if you look at it optimistically, we should win our Thanksgiving Day game, bringing our record to 8 and 4.

That leaves us with a four games down the stretch that can make our season:

1. @ Pittsburg: Granted, Pittsburg has a tough defense, but they have been struggling a little bit offensively. Big Ben has been holding the ball a little bit too long. I give the Cowboys a slight edge on this game due to the fact that Pittsburg will not have enough offensive production to win this game.

2. N.Y. Giants: This one is at home which helps us. We will still be playing for our playoff lives at this point and the Giants will have probably clinched a playoff spot. I think the fact that Dallas NEEDS this win more than the Giants, we will have a slight edge. Having it at home also gives us a slight edge.

3. Baltimore: Baltimore is similar to Pittsburg, except that its defense is getting longer in the tooth, and their offense is even less productive, as a general rule. We get the added bonus in this contest in that this will be the last game in Texas Stadium. We will have the edge in this game.

4. @ Philly: Philly is a tough place to play ... but by week 17 it might be a tougher place for Philly to play than Dallas. Philly will probably be eliminated from playoff contention, while Dallas may have the added incentive of not only playing to get into the playoffs, but might be playing for a home game, if the cards fall the right way.

If the Cowboys run the table, it would be POSSIBLE for them to be the highest ranked NFC team and/or win their division.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
This team is better on the road than it is at home. It's not a "home field advantage" for this group, for whatever reason.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
No way we catch the G-men for the division, we are currently 3.5 games behind them with 5 to play. They would basically have to lose almost all of their remaining games and we would have to win out for us just to tie them.

Our path to the playoffs this year is Wildcard, and it is going to take 11 wins to do it. Thus, we can lose only 1 more game and have any releastic shot.

10-6 wont do it this year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Its not guaranteed it will take 11 wins to get into the playoffs. It matters what the teams around us do. Falcons, Carolina and Bucc's all will lose games because they still play each other. Everyone is not going to win out. I want us to have this wrapped up before the 17th week of the season just for my nerves lol. So in order to do that we're more than likely will have to win out. But 10 wins wouldn't shock me. 11 wins is more than enough.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
JordanTaber;2439664 said:
This team is better on the road than it is at home. It's not a "home field advantage" for this group, for whatever reason.

We're 4-1 at home and 3-3 on the road.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Ozzu;2439694 said:

Even if we make the playoffs, can we actually win 3 road playoff games when we are a .500 team on the road this year???

I dont think so, I just hope we can finally win ONE playoff game and use that to build on for next year.

Smith22

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2439799 said:
Even if we make the playoffs, can we actually win 3 road playoff games when we are a .500 team on the road this year???

I dont think so, I just hope we can finally win ONE playoff game and use that to build on for next year.

We had trash at QB for 3 games. Let romo finish healing, keep TNew and kosier healthy, and this team can get on a big roll. We BEAT the Giants twice last year when they had Strahan and Osi, and we didn't have Roy Williams at WR. Take care of business on Turkey day and that game against Pitt will be huge. WHEN we take out Pitt the entire media will be all over us again, which is probably a bad thing at this point. I like this team having their back against the wall, they seem to play better that way.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Verdict;2439589 said:
4. @ Philly: Philly is a tough place to play ... but by week 17 it might be a tougher place for Philly to play than Dallas. Philly will probably be eliminated from playoff contention, while Dallas may have the added incentive of not only playing to get into the playoffs, but might be playing for a home game, if the cards fall the right way.

If the Cowboys run the table, it would be POSSIBLE for them to be the highest ranked NFC team and/or win their division.

I'll agree with all.

On the Philly game if things go bad for the Eagles and they are m and they are not in contention - it is a given the fans will have turned on McNabb abd Reid.

That being said this weekend points to Kolb playing the last few games of the season. Then the Eagles will know what they have in him and what off season moves to make in regards to their franchise - Donovan.

The Eagles still have Cardinals, Giants, Browns, Commanders, Cowboys.

If things go bad...... They could go 2-3 down the stretch.
They could be 7 - 7 - 1 when they come to last game of the season.

With injuries this year and McNabb not being stellar in the position - they are in trouble and will have the fan base turn on them.
Lurie will keep Reid but McNabb will not be wanted there anymore by the fans.

You have to fee bad for the Philly football fans as the Donovan McNabb saga is coming to a close and they have only had one gilmmer of a SB trophy.
Too much well be good and not great teams.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2439664 said:

I blame the home fans ;)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I just hope the players realise how critical each game is and how 10-6 may keep their butts at home.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
What it comes down to for me is that we can't win in Philly until we beat Seattle. I don't even want to think about making it or not making it. There are 5 games left to play and a lot can happen in that time. The only thing I care about is not looking past Seattle because we can't afford to lose to the teams we should beat.

demirji22

Reaction score
Ozzu;2439694 said:

But 2 of the 3 losses on the road were with Brad johnson at QB
@ Rams
@ NYG

and the 3rd an OT loss to the Cards.

With ROMO playing in the 2 that we lost we may have split which puts us at a 4-2 road record and possibly 5-1 if we had beaten the Giants.

So i guess what I'm saying is that we arent that bad on the road.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
It will play out like it plays out. We're not that far off pace from where we should be. Or from where we've ever been. 13-3 was a one time deal for this team; never had we done that good before; nor do we need to rely on it or think we're that much less for not having achieved it. 11-5, 12-4, that's perfect and will do the trick. The rest is just up to this team when it finally gets to the playoffs.

As for the 2 teams now ahead of us in the playoff race; There's a lot of football left to be played and I'd bet my last dollar 2-3 teams still have a slide in them.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
That Rams game is going to bite us in the rear end, you just watch.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2439666 said:
No way we catch the G-men for the division, we are currently 3.5 games behind them with 5 to play. They would basically have to lose almost all of their remaining games and we would have to win out for us just to tie them.

Our path to the playoffs this year is Wildcard, and it is going to take 11 wins to do it. Thus, we can lose only 1 more game and have any releastic shot.

10-6 wont do it this year.

While I hear ya on the 10-6 wont make it this year.... with 5 games left... that CANNOT be said with any certainty.

How many years do we see it come down to last game of year OR last game of year while waiting for another team to lose to a bad team(spoiler)etc...

I would love to win out and go 12-4.... but... well.... ya know... :)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The only thing that matters, and they can control, is winning. Just win your games and don't worry about what anyone else is doing. If you don't take care of your end it won't matter what anyone else does anyway.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
The problem is, Washington's remaining schedule is not nearly as bad as ours and if they are able to finish 11-5 which is very likely the Ram's game that was dropped will be a killer.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
l2obert;2439974 said:
The problem is, Washington's remaining schedule is not nearly as bad as ours and if they are able to finish 11-5 which is very likely the Ram's game that was dropped will be a killer.

They dropped the Rams game too.

The games that upset me the most are the Arizona and 1st Washington game.

The effort we gave in those 2 games was a disgrace.

Smith22

Reaction score
l2obert;2439974 said:

They could easily fall to the Ravens and Giants.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2439799 said:

We're 6-1 when Romo is healthy, including 3-0 on the road.