OT: Back From Evacuation

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
All is well with my family. We managed to make it to Dallas in 14 hours and we managed to make it back to Houston yesterday in 8 hrs. IMO, the evacuation could have been handled exponentially better. It appeared that the main restricting element was "too" much control by the authorities. The common theme was whenever there was a gridlock condition there was a group of state troopers or Sheriffs directing traffic, writing tickets, blocking exits, and being in the way. Once we broke free of their influence normal traffic moved at a decent clip even when it was bumper to bumpre.

Another thing that bugged the hell out of me during this ordeal was the blocking of any outbound routes. When you have several million citizens fleeing a disaster it would have been more prudent to open everything up. Instead they blocked off entry to shortcuts that would have ease the congestion.

Enough of the soapbox, I am just glad that my family is safe and I we are back home and the boyz won!

roughneck266

Reaction score
Glad to hear all is well with you and yours.Matbe it'll be a wgile before we see this again I hope. Still haven't gotten the power back on at my home in Lufkin, hopefully by tomorrow.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Welcome back Ad. I'm very happy to hear you have come through no worse for wear.

k19

Reaction score
Welcome back. Glad to hear everything is getting back to normal for you

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Welcome back Big Man...glad to hear you are doing fine.

:cool:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Glad your family is safe, AB...

I feel your pain as I was part of the evacution of Hurricane Allen in 1980. It is a nightmare at best...

Next time come stay with me!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:

I feel your pain as I was part of the evacution of Hurricane Allen in 1980. It is a nightmare at best...

You just want to show off your Star of Texas aka Cowboys Motiff.

BTW...I am jealous of that door and entrance :D

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
You just want to show off your Star of Texas aka Cowboys Motiff.

BTW...I am jealous of that door and entrance :D

Actually they laid that one slightly crooked so I had them tear it out and I made a new and improved version...

I am going out to the house today, maybe it will be finished... :D

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Welcome back Ad and it's good to hear you and the family are ok.

Any word from WG yet?

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
trickblue said:

Let's just hope I never have to take you up on your generous offer.

On a bright note I did get to hang with one of my Frat bros and his family. We had a good time once we got to Dallas but the circumstance was terrible.

Thanks to everyone for their prayers and support.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Welcome back Ad and it's good to hear you and the family are ok.

Any word from WG yet?
I haven't heard from hear but I most of Houston was spared. I will try to call her later today.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
I haven't heard from hear but I most of Houston was spared. I will try to call her later today.
Thanks....tell her to check in with her peeps :D

I haven't heard anything but hopefully none of our properties were not damaged. We have them the Woodlands, Spring, Katy, and Sugarland.

k19

Reaction score
Make sure you check your outside storage for tenants :D

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I am glad... I really hope many people were spared any loss

blindzebra

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
All is well with my family. We managed to make it to Dallas in 14 hours and we managed to make it back to Houston yesterday in 8 hrs. IMO, the evacuation could have been handled exponentially better. It appeared that the main restricting element was "too" much control by the authorities. The common theme was whenever there was a gridlock condition there was a group of state troopers or Sheriffs directing traffic, writing tickets, blocking exits, and being in the way. Once we broke free of their influence normal traffic moved at a decent clip even when it was bumper to bumpre.

Another thing that bugged the hell out of me during this ordeal was the blocking of any outbound routes. When you have several million citizens fleeing a disaster it would have been more prudent to open everything up. Instead they blocked off entry to shortcuts that would have ease the congestion.

Enough of the soapbox, I am just glad that my family is safe and I we are back home and the boyz won!

Glad things are okay.

Something to keep in mind though. While it might slow things down by closing down some routes, it helps keep tabs on those evacuating. So if the storm speeds up, or other unforeseen things happen, time and resources are focused in one area instead of 20.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Glad things are okay.

Something to keep in mind though. While it might slow things down by closing down some routes, it helps keep tabs on those evacuating. So if the storm speeds up, or other unforeseen things happen, time and resources are focused in one area instead of 20.
No offense BZ but your point is not valid. The evacuation officially started a couple of days before the storm hit and many had ample amount of time to get to safety. If I didn’t illegally take a short cut (yes they were writing tickets for crossing their stupid roadblocks), my 14 hr trip could have been 30 like many of my friends that left at the same time I did. IMO, it was utter stupidity on the law enforcement to block routes and unless you were stuck in the mist of that nonsense you can't possibly see what I am talking about. Next time it should be a staggered evacuation with all exits open.

blindzebra

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
No offense BZ but your point is not valid. The evacuation officially started a couple of days before the storm hit and many had ample amount of time to get to safety. If I didn’t illegally take a short cut (yes they were writing tickets for crossing their stupid roadblocks), my 14 hr trip could have been 30 like many of my friends that left at the same time I did. IMO, it was utter stupidity on the law enforcement to block routes and unless you were stuck in the mist of that nonsense you can't possibly see what I am talking about. Next time it should be a staggered evacuation with all exits open.

I can understand the frustration, but in light of Katrina, I can also understand authorities attempting to control as much as possible in the evacuation process.

If you have ten possible routes, then you need to spread your people out over ten different areas, to assure the evacuation happens without people going where they shouldn't. If anything goes wrong, more people could die from help not being where they need to be or not even knowing something is wrong.

I'm sure if I'd have been in your shoes...like my feet could fill them :D...I'd have been critical too.;)

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
I can understand the frustration, but in light of Katrina, I can also understand authorities attempting to control as much as possible in the evacuation process.

If you have ten possible routes, then you need to spread your people out over ten different areas, to assure the evacuation happens without people going where they shouldn't. If anything goes wrong, more people could die from help not being where they need to be or not even knowing something is wrong.

I'm sure if I'd have been in your shoes...like my feet could fill them :D...I'd have been critical too.;)
Maybe both feet, lol.

In the future I hope they don't have to prove that they can do better.