OT: Fact or Fiction

JBS

Reaction score
Fact or Fiction: When it is all said and done...Kobe Bryant will end up being the greatest player in NBA History.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
glorydaysrback said:
Fact or Fiction: When it is all said and done...Kobe Bryant will end up being the greatest player in NBA History.

Fiction: He isnt even the greatest player of his own generation

That and the fact that he is a rapist

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

As the saying goes, "you can't rape the willing."

He'll have to win a championship w/out shaq to even come close to being considered the greatest.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

who do you think is the best player currently playing?

IMO you have to break it down into best player at his position because obviously players at different positions do things better than others

for example, a point guard might not be a great low post defender but maybe an excellent passer/shooter/ball-handler/defender of other PG's/SG's... and you can't compare him to Tim Duncan, for example

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
J.Jones21 said:
not even the best of this generation, that would be tim duncan

:lmao:

No, that would be Lebron

Most GM's would take KG over Duncan. Duncan is just blessed with a much better team.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Kobe has another 10-12 years left in him... So yes. He'll break every scoring record, and probably score 100 in a game before he dies. The man has revolutionized the game this year, and is changing the way ref's call games. He may be a 'rapist' but I'll be damned if anyone can stop him.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
SupermanXx said:
who do you think is the best player currently playing?

Kobe is probably the best player currently playing, but he shouldn't get the MVP. That should go to Nash and today's game proves it, IMO.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
GoinForSix said:
Kobe has another 10-12 years left in him... So yes. He'll break every scoring record, and probably score 100 in a game before he dies. The man has revolutionized the game this year, and is changing the way ref's call games. He may be a 'rapist' but I'll be damned if anyone can stop him.

He'll never have the right to hold the jock straps of men like Magic, MJ, Bird, Chamberlin, etc.

He is a very talented player. Very talented, and yet doesnt have any sense of "team".

Aside from that however, he simpy, is not as good of a basketball played as Michael Jordan was. Hell, Magic puts him to shame.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
He'll never have the right to hold the jock straps of men like Magic, MJ, Bird, Chamberlin, etc.

He is a very talented player. Very talented, and yet doesnt have any sense of "team".

Aside from that however, he simpy, is not as good of a basketball played as Michael Jordan was. Hell, Magic puts him to shame.

:hammer:

cannonball44

Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager
Reaction score
lol, naw... Tim Duncan doesn't make his teammates better at all, taking an aging center, a 19 year old point guard, and some out-of-control euro 2 guard to the championship is being blessed.. right... these guys weren't all-stars when they joined this team.

cannonball44

Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager
Reaction score
and yes. Tim Duncan is the greatest player of this generation... Lebron has done what exactly to deserve that??... how many playoff appearances?? how many championships?? I mean come on, we're not basing "greatest player of the generation" off of perceived potential, we're basing this off of ACCOMPLISHMENTS

ghst187

Reaction score
all depends on what criteria you base your "greatest of all time" judgments on...
I believe that there is NO WAY Jordan could guard Kobe. I think head to head in each's heyday...Kobe would light him up.
I think Lebron would light up Jordan too. The guys are bigger, faster, stronger, and better athletes.
Marino was great without a ring. Elway would've been "great" even without a ring. Young was considered "great" even though he never deserved a ring.
However, how would you compare Marino, who never won a ring, vs someone like Montana or Aikman that did win rings. Yes, both Montana and Aikman had better teams. Yes Kobe won 3 with good teams.
What about Iverson? Won't he be considered "great?" What scoring point guard could you compare him with? Only Isiah Thomas I think...that's about it.
On the other hand, don't most great players have several defining moments that get them a championship? Certainly anyone jockeying for the "greatest of all-time" title would have some of those. Jordan has plenty of those moments and 6 rings.
IMO, no way Jordan could hold Kobe going head to head in their prime. And Kobe has a few rings already. However, he needs a few more of those "defining championship moments" whereas he wills his team to win in order to overtake Jordan and be thought of as the "greatest of all-time." I think that's the only thing left separating Jordan and Kobe right now.
PS. I also think LeBron could be on his way. He's a far better player at this point in his career than Mike was. Of course, those "defining moments" are hard to come by.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
all depends on what criteria you base your "greatest of all time" judgments on...
I believe that there is NO WAY Jordan could guard Kobe. I think head to head in each's heyday...Kobe would light him up.
I think Lebron would light up Jordan too. The guys are bigger, faster, stronger, and better athletes.
Marino was great without a ring. Elway would've been "great" even without a ring. Young was considered "great" even though he never deserved a ring.
However, how would you compare Marino, who never won a ring, vs someone like Montana or Aikman that did win rings. Yes, both Montana and Aikman had better teams. Yes Kobe won 3 with good teams.
What about Iverson? Won't he be considered "great?" What scoring point guard could you compare him with? Only Isiah Thomas I think...that's about it.
On the other hand, don't most great players have several defining moments that get them a championship? Certainly anyone jockeying for the "greatest of all-time" title would have some of those. Jordan has plenty of those moments and 6 rings.
IMO, no way Jordan could hold Kobe going head to head in their prime. And Kobe has a few rings already. However, he needs a few more of those "defining championship moments" whereas he wills his team to win in order to overtake Jordan and be thought of as the "greatest of all-time." I think that's the only thing left separating Jordan and Kobe right now.
PS. I also think LeBron could be on his way. He's a far better player at this point in his career than Mike was. Of course, those "defining moments" are hard to come by.

You do realize that Jordan was a 2-time defensive player of the year and considered one of the best perimeter defenders ever, right?

MJ was a much better defender than Kobe is.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
:lmao:

No, that would be Lebron

Most GM's would take KG over Duncan. Duncan is just blessed with a much better team.
lebron? are u being serious?

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
cannonball44 said:
and yes. Tim Duncan is the greatest player of this generation... Lebron has done what exactly to deserve that??... how many playoff appearances?? how many championships?? I mean come on, we're not basing "greatest player of the generation" off of perceived potential, we're basing this off of ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Tim Duncan has been pretty average offensively and owned by KG in most of there meetings. He has had a great coach and great players around him, he just happened to be marginally better than those players so he got all the credit.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
You are very ignorant of MJ's greatness. Kobe will never be better then him, but he is definately best in this generation.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
You do realize that Jordan was a 2-time defensive player of the year and considered one of the best perimeter defenders ever, right?

MJ was a much better defender than Kobe is.
MJ would not be the one gaurding the premier permiter players on his team, that would be Pippen. Kobe is a very good defender and has made several all defense teams. MJ was a better defender, but much better? No way

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Tio said:
lebron? are u being serious?

Name a more gifted player in the history of professional athletics? Bo Jackson maybe? That's it.

He a terrific ballhandler, passer, and shooter. He is maybe the greatest pure athlete to ever grace a basktball court. He is 6'8'', 240, and can jump nearly 50 inches off the ground. He runs a 4.4 40. The only thing he needs to work on is defense. He has all the tools to be the greatest ever, and is certainly better than Kobe.