OT: Question for Austin residents (or near austin)

JBS

Reaction score
hey guys, I know this is off topic but I am looking to relocate myself from Maryland to Austin Texas for business and personal reasons. I have heard nothing but great things about Austin Texas, if anyone who lives there or who has been there could just fill me in on some typical things to expect that would be much appreciated. A few questions that I have that if anyone could answer include:

1) How far is Austin from Texas stadium?
2) How far is Austin from the New Cowboys stadium?
3) How humid is it in Austin? (I know its very hot, but is it humid as well)
4) How populated is Austin from a small business perspective?

I do credit card processing - meaning I meet with small/medium size business owners in regards to their credit card processing and I try to make it more cost efficient for them to accept credit cards, basically by lowering their rates. So, would austin texas be a pretty good area from a business perspective? I would imagine downton would be slammed with businesses but that area can only be worked for so long. So ulitmatey, outside of downtown are the surrounding areas full of businesses as well?

Outside of these few questions that I pose, any additional information regarding Austin would be very helpful. Thanks!

JBS

Reaction score
I am 24 years old and single.

Another question that I do have is - what are some of the nicer areas in Austin that I should consider living in?

Angus

Reaction score
glorydaysrback;2155458 said:
hey guys, I know this is off topic but I am looking to relocate myself from Maryland to Austin Texas for business and personal reasons. I have heard nothing but great things about Austin Texas, if anyone who lives there or who has been there could just fill me in on some typical things to expect that would be much appreciated. A few questions that I have that if anyone could answer include:

I do credit card processing - meaning I meet with small/medium size business owners in regards to their credit card processing and I try to make it more cost efficient for them to accept credit cards, basically by lowering their rates. So, would austin texas be a pretty good area from a business perspective?

Outside of these few questions that I pose, any additional information regarding Austin would be very helpful. Thanks!

Glory, I live in Austin. It's about 190 miles from Texas Stadium and about the same from the new stadium in Arlington. All the Cowboys games are shown live in Austin, including pre-season games.

As far as the weather is concerned, it is changeable. I would suggest that you check the Austin-American Statesman website for more specific information. http://www.statesman.com/

Business conditions in Austin are generally good, I think. It, unlike the rest of Texas, is a very liberal (for Texas) area. If that is your cup of tea, you'll enjoy it. But if it is not, you can comfortably tolerate it. A lot of us have.

Welcome!

:)

CantonBound08

Reaction score

I do credit card processing - meaning I meet with small/medium size business owners in regards to their credit card processing and I try to make it more cost efficient for them to accept credit cards, basically by lowering their rates. So, would austin texas be a pretty good area from a business perspective? I would imagine downton would be slammed with businesses but that area can only be worked for so long. So ulitmatey, outside of downtown are the surrounding areas full of businesses as well?

1) 2.5 - 3 hrs
2) I haven't driven it, but probably about the same
3) It can get humid, but nothing compared to Houston.
4) I would imagine it would be pretty good. The suburban areas are still growing.
5) Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander, Pflugerville, Lago Vista

I don't do much of the bar hopping bit anymore, but I'm sure there is plenty of it. I know there is a lot of live music all over the place. If you do come down here, you have to visit "Salt Lick BBQ" -- google it.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Sounds like a good fit for you. The population is very diverse to the point that you can always fit in somewhere.

Alot of the UT students love the area so they fill the jobs that are immediatly available but it's surrounding area is one of the more beautiful parts of Texas. Oh yes there is the Salt Lick BBQ.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
It's the San Francisco of Texas.......the traffic is terrible, even at 2 AM. Hot, not too humid, great party city, and great restaraunts, good airport. About 2.5 Hours from Cowboys new stadium, and about 45 minutes from Cowboys training camp in San Antonio, depending on traffic. Round Rock was the place, but too populated now. Buda is a nice alternative, so is west of Austin near Dripping Springs.

If you are into music, this is the place. Big, diverse music scene.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It always takes me about 4 hours to drive from austin to dallas if youre going to make in 2.5 youd have to be going about 100.

As for the weather, itll get into the twenties in the winter and in the summer itll top out at 100. The humidity isnt as bad as say SA or Houston. The city is above the coastal plain so the moist coastal air is impeded by the hill country which is to the south of austin.

As for business wise, its one of the higher cost locales in the state of texas. lease space can be pretty pricey and all that. it really depends on what youre trying to start though. If youre going IT then dont bother unless you have a predetermined in somewhere. keep in mind one of the top schools in the country is there and a lot of people are wanting to stay after the graduate.

really youre best bet is to look at the austin yellow pages and whatnot and see what the competition is. do some research you know. its got a better business bureau and chamber of commerce just like any other place.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score

1. Takes about 3.5 hours drive. 45 minute flight.
2. Ditto.
3. Think Dallas and Houston. Think about the middle of that. That's what Austin is. Being from Dallas, the humidity sucked a few weeks ago at my UT freshman orientation.
4. I don't know about that one.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
You sound like an interesting person whose knowlege is vast.
What are you views on the geographic split among Texas regions?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
What, you think this is a freaking Craig'sList for your credit card business?

Moderators, some decorum, please!:)

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2155519 said:
It's the San Francisco of Texas.......the traffic is terrible, even at 2 AM. Hot, not too humid, great party city, and great restaraunts, good airport. About 2.5 Hours from Cowboys new stadium, and about 45 minutes from Cowboys training camp in San Antonio, depending on traffic. Round Rock was the place, but too populated now. Buda is a nice alternative, so is west of Austin near Dripping Springs.

If you are into music, this is the place. Big, diverse music scene.

Perfect.....especially about the traffic!:star:

baj1dallas

Reaction score
CantonBound08;2155491 said:
If you do come down here, you have to visit "Salt Lick BBQ" -- google it.

no no no, forget salt lick. if you want real barbecue, make the pilgramage to lockhart, to smitty's. its a 45 minute drive...but it's worth it to walk there.

austin's a real fun city to live if you're young, full of women, great weather, and the texas economy is doing pretty good still.

CantonBound08

Reaction score
Lockhart is supposed to have a few really good bbq joints.

I have made the drive to Dallas several times from Cedar Park in about 2.5 - 3 hrs. Just hop on the interstate and floor it!!!