OT:Shockey inks five-year extension with GiantsBy Len Pasquarelli

keithshepherd

Reaction score
Tight end Jeremy Shockey, a key component in a New York Giants offense that has emerged as one of the NFL's most explosive units, on Wednesday signed a five-year contract extension that carries him through the 2011 season.

Jeremy Shockey
Tight End
New York Giants

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC
17 251 2 14.8 32 103

The deal, negotiated by agent Drew Rosenhaus, makes Shockey the highest paid tight end in the league in terms of the average in "new money" for the extension. The total "new money" is $26.38 million and the various bonuses total $13.9 million.

"It's great to have this behind me and to know that I'm going to be with the Giants and with this group of guys for a long time," Shockey told ESPN.com Wednesday afternoon. "It's a team that traded up in the [2002] draft to get me, a team that's been good to me, and it's where I wanted to be. This is a big relief and it means I can just concentrate on playing football. The great thing is we did it really quietly. No one knew about it, no one knew [the negotiations] were going on, so it never became a distraction. I'm grateful to everyone involved, to Drew, the Giants, everybody."

The team's first-round choice in the '02 draft, Shockey has 17 catches for 251 yards and two touchdowns this season for the 3-1 Giants, who play at Dallas on Sunday afternoon.

Shockey, 25, had this season and the 2006 campaign remaining on his original contract, at base salaries of $1.723 million for this year and $2.07 million for next season. As part of the new deal, those base salaries were altered.

The initial signing bonus for the extension is $3 million and there is an option bonus of $7.5 million due in March of 2006 that is guaranteed for injury. That is a key, since some new deals, like the one signed last year by Baltimore tight end Todd Heap, does not have a guaranteed option. There is also a $1 million roster bonus to be paid in the spring of '07 and a total of $2.4 million in reporting bonuses. The breakdown on the reporting bonuses: $250,000 for 2006, $150,000 for 2007 and then $500,000 each for 2008-2011.

Base salaries are $900,000 (for 2005), $950,000 (2006), $850,000 (2007), $2.225 million (2008), $3.25 million (2009), $3.825 million (2010) and $4.508 million (2011). There are also "de-escalators" of $300,000 each year beginning in 2006, meaning that if Shockey does not reach certain performances level, his salary can be reduced by $300,000.

Shockey will bank $10.75 million in bonuses in the first two years of the contract and $11.9 million in bonuses in the first three years.

The deal is the second lucrative extension that Rosenhaus has completed for a tight end in the past week. Last week, he struck a four-year, $18 million extension for Dolphins tight end Randy McMichael.

A former University of Miami star, Shockey has appeared in 43 games, starting in all but one of them. He has 200 receptions for 2,346 yards and 12 touchdowns. His best season was as a rookie, when he posted 74 catches for 894 yards. The fiery Shockey is widely respected for his aggressive approach to the game and his fierce competitiveness.

With skill-position players like Shockey, quarterback Eli Manning, wide receivers Amani Toomer and Plaxico Burress, and tailback Tiki Barber, the New York offense has a very formidable nucleus. The unit statistically ranks No. 9 in the league.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I wonder what Witten's extension will look like after this year..............

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I think its crazy to give an injury prone TE so much guaranteed money, but really what choice do they have. I would give Witten even more money or at least I think he will be worth every penny we pay him. He stays on the field and unlike Shockey, he mostly catches the ball. Shockey regularly drops balls.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
Should be pretty easy to get Witten signed when the time comes. With the recent deals for Gonzalez, Heap, Gates, McMichael, and Shockey all you really have to do is average those contracts and get it done.