Our backups, how good are they ?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some of our young backups don't get much playing time, I guess like a lot of teams. So I'm curious what you folks think of them if they had to come in and play in a pinch.

Specifically I'm asking about...But don't limit your answers.

1) Hurd

2) Austin

3) Nate Jones

4) Reeves

5) Elam

6) Proctor

7) MQ

8) T Thompson

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Jarv;1385648 said:
Some of our young backups don't get much playing time, I guess like a lot of teams. So I'm curious what you folks think of them if they had to come in and play in a pinch.

1) Hurd

2) Austin

3) Nate Jones

4) Reeves

5) Elam

6) Proctor

7) MQ

8) T Thompson
IMO, Thompson is nothing more than a KR because of his in line speed. He can run sweeps, but is limited on just about every other
type of run. He has no wiggle at all. He's not going to juke anyone out of their shoes.

Nothing wrong with that relly, but if a more talented RB can be had I think he could be looking for work. The reason for that is because of Miles Austin.

I think Austin is a better KR than Thompson because he sets up his blocks better before hitting the accelerator. I doubt he'll ever be much more than a 4th or 5th WR.

Hurd could be a solid #3 some day if he keeps working hard. I don't see him as a #1 or #2 guy at this point. He could prove me wrong.

I just don't know on McQ. I need to see more. Same with Proctor.

Elam is a ST guy. If he's a starter you have problems.

I think Reeves and Jones are at last chance to show something time. Neither is bad, but neither have stepped up either and we've had opportunities for them to do it.

superpunk

Reaction score
Of that group, the one who has shown the most promise is Reeves. He has played decent in spots, when we've needed him to, but has mostly been buried on the bench. He could be a good nickel corner, plus, he's still real young. Him and Jones are 25 and hav been in the league 3 years already.

The rest....don't really know. Hurd played well in the preseason, maybe he could move up to Craytons current role eventually. McQuistan, a late developing prospect, probably excites me the most out of the group. He started playing after his twin brother, and his twin brother is pretty highly thought of as a prospect.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Austin and Hurd really have not had a chance to show much. Physically they have the tools= its the other part we do not know about. That is something we need to find out about this season. Elam showed some promise as a SS.
Jones and Reeves- might have a 3rd CB from them. I doubt if any more.
Proctor- really unknown. McQ had a bunch of teams interested- probably more then any other reason that is why Petitti was released.
TT just as has been pointed out has no wiggle. Will do OK as a KR and cleanup RB late in the game- but not likely any more.

blindzebra

Reaction score
1) Hurd...Probably makes the roster, unless we draft WR early, then he's in trouble.

2) Austin...Not in same boat as Hurd because he's our KR.

3) Nate Jones...If we draft a corner and don't move Henry, and I don't think we will, he's in trouble.

4) Reeves...see Jones.

5) Elam...Toast.

6) Proctor...He needs Rivera cut to make the roster.

7) MQ...He impressed Parcells, but hardly played. The name Petitti ring a bell, he's a huge ???? at this point.

8) T Thompson...Toast, he was a nice story, but he was way too limited in what he can do. I'm guessing we draft or pick up a back, that can return kicks too.

9) Fowler...ST ace, that brings nothing to the table on defense. We bring in anybody inside and Fowler better hope it means James gets traded.

10) Davis...ST and move him to Roy's back up, or flat out release him.

11) Coleman...Surprised me, I thought he was toast. Not sure he's quick enough to play a more aggressive front.

12) Ratliff...A high motor guy that should excell in Phillips scheme.

13) Hatcher...Ditto.

14) Glymph...Project, let's see if Phillips can get him up to speed.

15) Stanley...If he can be the back up to Ferguson, it would greatly help our offseason.

16) Singleton...Toast, Nors finally gets his wish.:lmao2:

17) Ellis...I see him as no more than a situational pass rusher, but that has value.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Jarv;1385648 said:

1) Hurd

2) Austin

3) Nate Jones

4) Reeves

5) Elam

6) Proctor

7) MQ

8) T Thompson
Good idea for a thread. :)

My favorites on there are McQ, Austin, Thompson, and Reeves, in that order.

I liked Reeves from the start given his speed (Big 10 100m champ) and size, especially where we drafted him. Great draft pick in the seventh round. But unlike some, I don't think I'd trust him starting at all. You might get by with him for a little while, though.

The others are straight JAGs. Nate Jones has never shown a thing other than his Rutgers diploma.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Jarv;1385648 said:

1) Hurd

2) Austin

3) Nate Jones

4) Reeves

5) Elam

6) Proctor

7) MQ

8) T Thompson

:jerk: