Our Defense...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Talk about a bunch of news clipping reading, cheese eating, paper champion, overrated bums!

We've got 3 CBs that are supposed all be very good to elite.

We've got an all pro ILB.

2 probowl OLBs.

And an up and coming "Beast" at NG.

How the hell aren't we not only stopping teams, but DOMINATING them?

It has to be coaching and/or scheme. Why is it that for two weeks in a row opposing defenses can shut down (pretty much) one of the best WRs in the game, but we can't shut down scrubs? Is Santana Moss better than TO? NO!

Shawn Springs has press coverage on TO pretty much the whole game and he stayed with him, do our coaches not have that kind of confidence in our "Super" CBs?

ANd yes, I know we still scored 24 on them (and 27) last week, but those defenses holding us to 24/27 is the equivelant of us holding the Skins to 10 points.

The fact of the matter is our defense is underachieving by a LARGE margin. Our front 7 is mediocre vs the run and our "Super" secondary is average at best. IMO is has to be coaching. Either Wade needs to pay more attention to his defense (cuz that IS the reason we freakin' hired him) or Brian Stewart needs to be let go (Did anyone ever truly believe he was ready to be a DCoord anyway?).

I promise you, we will NOT win a superbowl (or even a playoff game) with that kind of defense. Is it possible for them to turn it around? Yes, anything is possible. But talking about it or reading about it doesn't change a dang thing. They have to go out and DO IT ON THE FIELD.

Ware needs to go ahead and get MORE than 1 sack in a big game (a 4th quarter sack would be nice, and don't even mention last week's 4th quarter sack where the QB basically ran into him on the play).

Zack Thomas and Brady James need to make a big stop on 1st and 2nd down vs the run.

It would be nice for our secondary to actually INTERCEPT A FREAKIN' PASS SOMETIME THIS SEASON.

Our DL, LBs, and DBs all need to do A LOT better than they are if they want to become a championship caliber defense.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that Jay Ratliff looked hurt for a quarter or two? I noticed that later he had a wrap on his left arm.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
If you remember, early on last season our defense was very active before the snap. They actually looked like a D that tried to confuse the offense. We got some tough breaks and teams were able to convert on big third downs, but the looks we showed were the exotic ones we've been waiting for.

Go back and watch the first Giants game from last season. We gave up plays, but atleast we saw movement and different looks.

Now, it goes:
1st Down - Base D, Ware and Ellis on the edges, and James and Thomas packed in the middle. Offense runs a run play, we give up 4 yards.

2nd Down - Offense comes out with 3 Wide, We got to Base Nickel and Rush 4. DB's play 8 yards off. Quick slant for 5 yards.

3rd Down - Offense runs right up the gut for a first.

Rinse and Repeat.

I know everyone gives up plays, but atleast try and make it difficult on the QB by giving different looks and blitzes. It looks like we wait until the Offense engages us and then we try to make a play instead of us attacking them.

How about a Ware blitz up the middle?

How about Bradie and Ellis overloading one side?

How about looking like you're gonna bring the house and only blitzing 3?

We have a lot of talent on this defense, we gotta use it...

[/end rant]

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Your points are right on but next week we will dominate Cincy and everyone will say, oh the defense is fixed! But really we just beat a crappy team.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
070913_jones_hmed_4p.hmedium.jpg

a_JOnesPhillips_ht.jpg

Rack;2294669 said:
Talk about a bunch of news clipping reading, cheese eating, paper champion, overrated bums!

We've got 3 CBs that are supposed all be very good to elite.

We've got an all pro ILB.

2 probowl OLBs.

And an up and coming "Beast" at NG.

How the hell aren't we not only stopping teams, but DOMINATING them?

It has to be coaching and/or scheme. Why is it that for two weeks in a row opposing defenses can shut down (pretty much) one of the best WRs in the game, but we can't shut down scrubs? Is Santana Moss better than TO? NO!

Shawn Springs has press coverage on TO pretty much the whole game and he stayed with him, do our coaches not have that kind of confidence in our "Super" CBs?

ANd yes, I know we still scored 24 on them (and 27) last week, but those defenses holding us to 24/27 is the equivelant of us holding the Skins to 10 points.

The fact of the matter is our defense is underachieving by a LARGE margin. Our front 7 is mediocre vs the run and our "Super" secondary is average at best. IMO is has to be coaching. Either Wade needs to pay more attention to his defense (cuz that IS the reason we freakin' hired him) or Brian Stewart needs to be let go (Did anyone ever truly believe he was ready to be a DCoord anyway?).

I promise you, we will NOT win a superbowl (or even a playoff game) with that kind of defense. Is it possible for them to turn it around? Yes, anything is possible. But talking about it or reading about it doesn't change a dang thing. They have to go out and DO IT ON THE FIELD.

Ware needs to go ahead and get MORE than 1 sack in a big game (a 4th quarter sack would be nice, and don't even mention last week's 4th quarter sack where the QB basically ran into him on the play).

Zack Thomas and Brady James need to make a big stop on 1st and 2nd down vs the run.

It would be nice for our secondary to actually INTERCEPT A FREAKIN' PASS SOMETIME THIS SEASON.

Our DL, LBs, and DBs all need to do A LOT better than they are if they want to become a championship caliber defense.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Rack;2294669 said:

Can we mention his fourth-quarter sack the week before that, or his fourth-quarter sack the week before that?

Or the fact that the Commanders passed only four times in the fourth quarter today?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Rack is spot on. Every week we make excuses for this defense by pointing to the stats, and this is exactly why I hate stats only.

If you look with your own eyes, this defense allow drives to continue and that's bad bad bad. Everytime we don't put pressure on the QB, our secondary gives up a million yards.

I thought Newman was a shut down corner, but honestly he just doesn't get tested much. When teams realize that they can actually go at him, they may have success, I don't know but we'll see.

Ware, I love him but he's alone on that line and sort of inconsistant. I really wish we could play a 4-3 and have him after the QB every down along with 4 other pass rushers, and let Zach do what he does best, James would be an awesome strong side linebacker.

Frustrating, I may take the week off, I've already decided not to watch BSPN all week long.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Clove;2294767 said:
Rack is spot on. Every week we make excuses for this defense by pointing to the stats, and this is exactly why I hate stats only.

If you look with your own eyes, this defense allow drives to continue and that's bad bad bad. Everytime we don't put pressure on the QB, our secondary gives up a million yards.

I thought Newman was a shut down corner, but honestly he just doesn't get tested much. When teams realize that they can actually go at him, they may have success, I don't know but we'll see.

Ware, I love him but he's alone on that line and sort of inconsistant. I really wish we could play a 4-3 and have him after the QB every down along with 4 other pass rushers, and let Zach do what he does best, James would be an awesome strong side linebacker.

Frustrating, I may take the week off, I've already decided not to watch BSPN all week long.

Wade's "Phillups 34" defense is a freaking joke. Wade is here for 1 reason, and that is defense. We have Garrett to run the offense and even though we abandoned the run, we still put up 24 points which usually wins the game in the NFL.

Now if Wade is here to run the D and the D blows, then why do we need Wade? I would like to ask Jerry that queston.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2294825 said:
Wade's "Phillups 34" defense is a freaking joke. Wade is here for 1 reason, and that is defense. We have Garrett to run the offense and even though we abandoned the run, we still put up 24 points which usually wins the game in the NFL.

Now if Wade is here to run the D and the D blows, then why do we need Wade? I would like to ask Jerry that queston.

I just don't think he has the personnel like he did in San Diego. We have very good talent, but we don't exactly have Jamaal Williams, Shaun Phillips, Louis Castillo, Shawn Merriman, Quintin Jammer, etc, etc all rolled up into one.

Bottom line-you need the players to run your scheme properly. Wade failed in Atlanta b/c of just that.

Spytheweb

Benched
Reaction score
Wezsh0T;2294676 said:
Did anyone else notice that Jay Ratliff looked hurt for a quarter or two? I noticed that later he had a wrap on his left arm.

Ratliff is a bum. He celebrates after a tackle of 6 yards. During the game he looked like he ran out of gas with both hands on his knees.

Spytheweb

Benched
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2294825 said:

That last TD the Commanders gave you that. They knew they controlled the game and Dallas had to score twice, they just needed you not to score quick, it's a chess game.

You put up 24 points but with that defense you'll have to score 40 each week to win.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Spytheweb;2294831 said:
That last TD the Commanders gave you that. They knew they controlled the game and Dallas had to score twice, they just needed you not to score quick, it's a chess game.

You put up 24 points but with that defense you'll have to score 40 each week to win.

THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Spytheweb;2294831 said:

Honestly-I'm beginning to wonder if the rest of the NFCE has picked up on our schemes back and forth. You see other NFCE matchups, and they know how to play chess to perfection. But somehow, after we come out blazing with new personnel since last year, our schemes just got figured out since then.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Boysboy;2294834 said:
Honestly-I'm beginning to wonder if the rest of the NFCE has picked up on our schemes back and forth. You see other NFCE matchups, and they know how to play chess to perfection. But somehow, after we come out blazing with new personnel since last year, our schemes just got figured out since then.
That would not explain our domination of Philly's D, though.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I think there's a couple of players on our defense that needs to step it up also w.o. Koiser the left side of the line looks really weak. I don't understand playing 8-12 yards off the ball especially against the WCO. Its like this team just puts it on cruise control while on defense and expect the offense to win.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
You guys know what's wrong with our D? Ask Dave Campo!

Seems like the way we play 10 yards away from the receivers is a Dave Campo trademark.

Please don't tell me that Stewart decides how the defense is being played. I'm not buying that BS for one bit.

Dave Campo bend but don't break defense is back with the secondary. Ask him why we were getting lots of INTs last year and why we don't have any yet this year.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ConstantReboot;2294889 said:

Seems like the way we play 10 yards away from the receivers is a Dave Campo trademark.

Please don't tell me that Stewart decides how the defense is being played. I'm not buying that BS for one bit.

Dave Campo bend but don't break defense is back with the secondary. Ask him why we were getting lots of INTs last year and why we don't have any yet this year.

we were playing 10 yards off the ball last season also and I don't think the secondary coach dictates how far off the ball the CB's play.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2294894 said:
we were playing 10 yards off the ball last season also and I don't think the secondary coach dictates how far off the ball the CB's play.

Not as much as I've seen this year. Even when its 3rd and short our defense still gives them a 10 yard cushion.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Boysboy;2294826 said:
I just don't think he has the personnel like he did in San Diego. We have very good talent, but we don't exactly have Jamaal Williams, Shaun Phillips, Louis Castillo, Shawn Merriman, Quintin Jammer, etc, etc all rolled up into one.

Bottom line-you need the players to run your scheme properly. Wade failed in Atlanta b/c of just that.

We have equal or better talent then what Wade had in SD. Quintin Jammer would be our 4th CB. Merriman and Castillo are the only ones that would start for us (well, Jamal Williams would start too and we'd slide Ratliff over to where he should be at DE).

Overall we have better talent than he had in SD.

ConstantReboot;2294889 said:

Dave Campo bend but don't break defense is back with the secondary
. Ask him why we were getting lots of INTs last year and why we don't have any yet this year.

Wow. That's about as ill informed of a post as I've seen here in a long time.

You obviously will never offer me anything as far as knowledge of the game so... welcome to my ignore list.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Rack;2294897 said:
We have equal or better talent then what Wade had in SD. Quintin Jammer would be our 4th CB. Merriman and Castillo are the only ones that would start for us (well, Jamal Williams would start too and we'd slide Ratliff over to where he should be at DE).

Overall we have better talent than he had in SD.

Wow. That's about as ill informed of a post as I've seen here in a long time.

You obviously will never offer me anything as far as knowledge of the game so... welcome to my ignore list.

QFT

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: