Our Identity is Passing Team

Pass2Run

Reaction score
That's what we are. We aren't a running team. We can run the ball once we get our pass going. But we're not a team that runs it down your throat to set up the play action and pass. I'm hoping McCarthy really has figured this out. To me, it seemed like he was trying to run the ball to set up the pass. Now he's actually passing to pick up downs, and setting up the run with the pass. And it looks like the team has more confidence in Prescott than before.

Either way, we're a passing team. That's our identity: passing team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That's what we are. We aren't a running team. We can run the ball once we get our pass going. But we're not a team that runs it down your throat to set up the play action and pass. I'm hoping McCarthy really has figured this out. To me, it seemed like he was trying to run the ball to set up the pass. Now he's actually passing to pick up downs, and setting up the run with the pass. And it looks like the team has more confidence in Prescott than before.

Offensively and defensively we are a passing team. However the problem is Championships are typically won in the trenches. So we are going to be exposed to specific match-ups.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We have to pass. Because we can't run it consistently
Our strength is passing. If we're to be a good team, we have to pass the ball at will. We have the players and depth at WR and TE to do it. We also have RBs who work better in the passing game.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Honestly, I think it's the identity of at least 28-30 other NFL teams. I'm not sure there's a team out there rushing more than they are passing.....maybe the 49ers, maybe.
Sure, but we tried to hang on to that identity for too long. You can have a good running game, especially when you just want to close out the game, or wear the team out. But we were a "running team" for too long. Like you say, it's not the same league it once was.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It took until the bye week to finally figure it out. The difference in the offense since thing has been really something to see. I don't know why it took McCarthy so long to realize the Cowboys offense was sputtering and not scoring and why.

However I'm not convinced the red zone problems are over because they have blown a chance to score from the 6 and 4 with first downs the last 2 games.

quickccc

Reaction score
Since we cannot run the ball .. we have no other choice but to be a passing identity team ...

Mac preached " balance" and helping the defense.. but his OL coach could not handle task of engineering
a run game.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well Mike has always been a pass first guy so this isn't surprising . But we have been facing some of the worst pass defenses the NFL has to offer so while our great success is nice I'm am a little suspect as usual.

This was the second week in a row we faced DBs who didn't even know who to cover, yet they kept trying to play man. But CeeDee is legit so there's hope, because even if they double him we have many weapons.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I agree, Dak does well when he can read the defense. We need formations, motion, that helps him identify the D.

Aven8

Reaction score
Mike is doing a great job on his part. Solari and OC, not so much

Smith22

Reaction score

Agree with your post, but if this team wants post season success, they have to find a way to be better running the ball, especially in must have short yardage situations.

Mr_437

Reaction score
McCarthy offenses are passing offenses. He was just blowing smoke about running the ball.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
We have an explosive RB2 ready to take more snaps...he is filling the role Pollard did when Zeke was around and this is when we had a running game. Pollard has no explosion right now post injury