Our "Running Game"

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does it seem like teams seem to know exactly where the ball is going to be run like 85% of the time? I refuse to believe our blocking is so bad, when I see much lesser teams able to find lanes and get yards on the ground.

I am starting to believe something in JG's scheme keys off teams as to where the ball is going, and I'm not just talking about 15 draw plays in a row. I'm dead serious, more often than not, when Barbe gets the ball, there are two guys waiting for him in the hole.

I'm convinced something is tipping them off in the way we line up, Garrett just doesn't seem experienced enough to disguise plays just like our defense can't disguise their coverages very well either.

superpunk

Reaction score
It's pretty liberating for a defense to be able to bring the safeties up because they're not at all worried about your QB going over the top on them.

Romo's return SHOULD help more than just the passing game.

We run alost of running plays that develop really slowly. That's not that great against an attacking defense. However, that right side toss worked wonders - and we ran it two times or so?

Jake0

Reaction score
We ran well against green bay, few other teams, I wouldn't talk about the run game until Romo's back, pretty obvious the entire field is condensed from 100 yards to 10 when brad johnson is in there so you got like 10 in the box with the 11th man right behind. The saints held Peterson and that Vikings oline to what.. sub 30 yards and they are a crappy run D that just had lost Sederick Ellis even. If a team wants to take away the run, they can, no matter who you are. You have to keep them honest.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I agree Punk. When the defense knows you've got QBs in there who can't, and won't, be able to challenge you over the top it makes it much easier for defenses cause they can slide those safeties up.

If they are stupid enough to do that with Romo in the game they'll get burnt over the top a few times and that stuff will stop immediately. Thus giving Barber more room to run and, with the return of Felix, more room for him to run as well.

thekavorka

Reaction score
I feel like there's no consistency with the running game even when Romo was at QB against Washington and Arizona. We were able to dominate the Bengals, but they're the Bengals.

We have a bunch of no gains or 1 yard gains that puts us in bad positions and then the occasional 15 yard run.

I'd rather have the consistent 4 or 5 yard gains where it's easier to move the chains.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with Romo, this team has been bad at run blocking for some time, even last year, despite the stats. We only run well when we have a lead and teams feel they need to stop the pass and take risks to try and catch up, from behind, we seem to have a very very difficult time running. Any team that tries to focus on shutting down our running game usually does.