Overreaction Monday - Cowboys vs Bills (if you feel like reliving the pain)

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Miami is an even better offense than Buffalo, so no better test to see if this defense can hack it with most of its run stoppers hurt. Detroit is an all-effort team led by a Parcells boy, the type of physical teams that give us problems. My recommendation is to forget the Buffalo game, and see if Cowboys can redeem themselves with these next 2 good opponents.

But if you're a glutton for punishment, which I know most of us are, here are Monday's Overreactions. :thumbup:

Last Night's Sportscenter - Tim Hasselbeck, Mike Tannenbaum
Buffalo Offensive Line absolutely controlled the game. Cowboys couldn't stop the run without Hankins and LVE. Best way to stop a pass rush is run the ball. They ran it 39x which is a first for Buffalo. 205 lb Bell was their MLB and couldn't hold up. (They show the clips, not pretty) Personnel issue for Cowboys.

Richard Sherman Podcast
Cowboys lost Time Possession by 10 minutes. Buffalo been needing to run the ball this whole year. Josh Allen only completed 7 passes!! Let Cook, Cook! New OC figured it out.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Miami is an even better offense than Buffalo, so no better test to see if this defense can hack it with most of its run stoppers hurt. Detroit is an all-effort team led by a Parcells boy, the type of physical teams that give us problems. My recommendation is to forget the Buffalo game, and see if Cowboys can redeem themselves with these next 2 good opponents.

But if you're a glutton for punishment, which I know most of us are, here are Monday's Overreactions. :thumbup:

Last Night's Sportscenter - Tim Hasselbeck, Mike Tannenbaum
Buffalo Offensive Line absolutely controlled the game. Cowboys couldn't stop the run without Hankins and LVE. Best way to stop a pass rush is run the ball. They ran it 39x which is a first for Buffalo. 205 lb Bell was their MLB and couldn't hold up. (They show the clips, not pretty) Personnel issue for Cowboys.

Richard Sherman Podcast
Cowboys lost Time Possession by 10 minutes. Buffalo been needing to run the ball this whole year. Josh Allen only completed 7 passes!! Let Cook, Cook! New OC figured it out.

miami is more of a finesse team like us. built on speed and scheme. buffalo is a lot more physical and played a lot more physical. we played a smaller front, hoping to negate them with speed, except they schemed to get their guards on our second level defenders and we couldn't tackle.

I think we beat miami.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
ESPN GET UP, Coach Rex Ryan, Dominique Foxworth (RECOMMEND WATCH!)
Foxworth - Bad sign for Cowboys. Same thing the 49ers did. Overpowering smash in face lines. Similar situation where couldn't hold up and out-physical.
Coach Ryan knew there would be a letdown, but wasn't surprised. They had the Philly game circled. Understand football is played by humans, not robots. My team did same thing against New England. Put so much on beating Patriots that next week in AFC Championship came out flat. Coach Ryan knew there would be a hangover effect and not to write the Cowboys off yet.
Coach Ryan also says the good thing for Dallas is all 3 segments stunk. It just wasn't the defense and getting figured out. So they have a chance to improve on this defeat.
Game clips by the ex-QB show how DQ never adjusted. Show a play ran 18x to counter #11. The players on show trashing the coaching adjustments, especially DQ.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My recommendation is to forget the Buffalo game

Buffalo Offensive Line absolutely controlled the game. Cowboys couldn't stop the run without Hankins and LVE. Best way to stop a pass rush is run the ball. They ran it 39x which is a first for Buffalo.
If the Cowboys forget the Buffalo game then they will see a repeat next week. They need to watch the tape and DQ better figure out how to stop the run. Miami will run Mostert and Achane right down their throat like Buffalo did with Cooks.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
If the Cowboys forget the Buffalo game then they will see a repeat next week. They need to watch the tape and DQ better figure out how to stop the run. Miami will run Mostert and Achane right down their throat like Buffalo did with Cooks.
Oh.. I agree. They better be losing some sleep. LOL But as fans, won't find any answers. We're undersized, we depend on an early lead for the pass rush... it is what it is. I do like Coach Ryan's rationale though on the letdown. If anyone should know, he should.

yentl911

Reaction score
Lots of things in this game could have easily gone our way. No, we didn't play well but I expect us to play much better next week.

The missed fumble was huge - watching Diggs after the play you could tell he fumbled. Could have thrown the challenge flag. Big miss.
The Sam Williams personal foul for hitting the punter - he should of blocked the kick - huge change in the game
The run D reminded me of the first game of last year - very weak or no edge against the run. Need to address this ASAP.
Poor calls against both teams

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In 3 of the Cowboys 4 losses, we have been dominated physically. Ariz, SF and Buffalo all used a smash mouth blueprint that has worked for years against this team.

Remember the 2021 season wild card loss to SF at home? The niners told us all week before the game they were going to run the ball down our throats and whip us physically and then they did just that. Last year in SF in the divisional round, it was closer, but in the end we got whipped physically.

What Buffalo did to us yesterday was another example of the Cowboys getting whipped physically and completely unable to stop the run. It’s the biggest weakness this team has had for years.

pitt33

Reaction score
ESPN GET UP, Coach Rex Ryan, Dominique Foxworth (RECOMMEND WATCH!)
Foxworth - Bad sign for Cowboys. Same thing the 49ers did. Overpowering smash in face lines. Similar situation where couldn't hold up and out-physical.
Coach Ryan knew there would be a letdown, but wasn't surprised. They had the Philly game circled. Understand football is played by humans, not robots. My team did same thing against New England. Put so much on beating Patriots that next week in AFC Championship came out flat. Coach Ryan knew there would be a hangover effect and not to write the Cowboys off yet.
Coach Ryan also says the good thing for Dallas is all 3 segments stunk. It just wasn't the defense and getting figured out. So they have a chance to improve on this defeat.
Game clips by the ex-QB show how DQ never adjusted. Show a play ran 18x to counter #11. The players on show trashing the coaching adjustments, especially DQ.

Thanks for sending out these recaps VMan.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
More analysis from Get Up. They do a good job analyzing the game. Answers here. Practical stuff too from a veteran NFL coach.
They get into their home vs road advantage too on this clip, and the difficulties Cowboys had communicating with the away crowd.

pitt33

Reaction score
In 3 of the Cowboys 4 losses, we have been dominated physically. Ariz, SF and Buffalo all used a smash mouth blueprint that has worked for years against this team.

Remember the 2021 season wild card loss to SF at home? The niners told us all week before the game they were going to run the ball down our throats and whip us physically and then they did just that. Last year in SF in the divisional round, it was closer, but in the end we got whipped physically.

What Buffalo did to us yesterday was another example of the Cowboys getting whipped physically and completely unable to stop the run. It’s the biggest weakness this team has had for years.
Copy that Bullet.

This defense is just too light in the pants. And that drafting/defensive philosophy ultimately gets them every time against teams like SF and Buffalo.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

I think the reason why we forget its a weakness is not all teams can do it. But what makes it worse is we have zero depth at important run stop positions. Is Clark out now too? Status on his injury?

John813

Reaction score
miami is more of a finesse team like us. built on speed and scheme. buffalo is a lot more physical and played a lot more physical. we played a smaller front, hoping to negate them with speed, except they schemed to get their guards on our second level defenders and we couldn't tackle.

I think we beat miami.
FWIW Miamis kryptonite the past handful of years have been the Bills and their physical, and talented, players/scheme.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Physicality had nothing to do with them. It's just discipline.

Everything is misdirection and nobody is maintaining gap integrity on the defensive side of the ball.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
100% agree -- just wait until next week and DET and we'll probably have a more definitive answer.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Almost 2024 and people still watching these trash cans on tv religiously. Yall are better than me
You should click before you spout off. I only posted ex-coaches and players. There is definitely some great analysis in those clips. The Skip, Steven A Smith, Colin Cowherds of the world get to me too. I post less and less of their stuff every Monday. There are some good player takes in Skip's show because he surrounds himself with ex-NFL players. SAS though is worthless, never get anything from his shows.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Physicality had nothing to do with them. It's just discipline.

Everything is misdirection and nobody is maintaining gap integrity on the defensive side of the ball.
I agree that gap integrity was a huge problem. But even when they tried to fix that the bills still whipped us. I counted five plays just in the second half where the first Cowboys defender to even touch the ball carrier 7-10 yards downfield. The Cowboys got physically dominated.

Creeper

Reaction score
I recorded the game and started watching it a second time last night. I was able to rewind and play certain plays in slo-mo to see what was really happening.

The bad news is, the Bills running game was exactly the same as the Cardinals running game. They were designed play to run outside the tackles. Our DEs kept get pushed inside or outside leaving holes for Cooks to run through outside. But it wasn't just Cooks. All their RBs were doing the same tings, cutting to the outside after feigning an inside run. It was like the Cowboys were overcompensating for the loss of Hankins or something. The Cowboys LBs were getting blocked and could not get off their blocks and that include Parsons. Plus, the pursuit to the outside was late and ineffective.

Those blaming Mazi are wrong. He had a couple of bad plays be he did okay. Not great by any means but no one on the DL had a great day.

The Cowboys did not make the plays when they had the chances. On the Bills first drive, the roughing the passer penalty gave Buffalo a new set of downs inside the 5 yard line. And yes, that was a p enalty. DLaw hit him late. Remember the late hit on Dak by Reddick that got flagged? Same thing. On the TD play, Mazi held his ground and could have made a play to stop the TD run, but he was held. The the Cowboys got the ball and Dak had Cooks open for a long TD and missed him. Sure, it is a low percentage play, but if Dak put that ball in his hands it is a TD and the game is tied. How much of a difference would that have made? And what about the Zack Martin penalty? I know he was trying to protect his QB but is he just got in the guys face instead of knocking him to the ground, which was a great acting job btw, the Cowboys would have gotten an extra 15 yards and put Buffalo on their heels. Then came the holding call on Tyler Smith which took away a 1st down run by Pollard and instead of a 1st and 10 at the Buffalo 35, they had a 2nd and 12 at the Buffalo 45. I thought it was a BS holding call to be honest given the holding the let go by both teams the rest of the game. Then on 2nd and 12 Dak changed the play to a run and Dowdle was smothered for a 3 yard law when Terence Steele lost his block right away. Then Dak was sacked on the next play when he tried to escape the pocket and instead of running to his left where he had room he inexplicably tried to spin to his right, right into the arms of the Bills DE. All these mishaps created by Dallas gave the Bills momentum. The killed came on the Bills 3rd drive when Sam Williams looked like he was going to block the punt, except the Bills kicker somehow managed to punt the ball to the right just enough to avoid Williams's hands. 15 yard penalty, fresh set of downs and an eventual TD. If Williams did the same thing 9 more times I bet he blocks every punt after that. But it was one of those breaks that just did not go Dallas's way.

I don't like to overreact to these games, but this game reminded me a lot of the 2019 NE Patriots game. Dak played a similar game then. The Cowboys lost 13-9 but the offense looked inept in that game too, in the rain in New England. Dak was off most of the night last night. Not just with his throws but his decisions. He threw to a lot of covered receivers and was struggling to find the open guy, if there was an open guy. He had some tight windows but was not as accurate as he had been in past games. Honestly, Buffalo could have intercepted him at least 3 or 4 times last night but they dropped the ball. But the Cowboys went into a shell on offense, constantly throwing short underneath passes short of the first downs and Buffalo did an excellent job making sure the receivers did not get yards after the catch.

Tackling was a big issue last night. I thought the play that exemplified the entire night came on the Bills first TD drive. on a 1st and 10 at the Bills 48, Allen handed off to Cook who found a little room but was hit by Parsons and a few other Cowboys players, but the Bills pushed the pile another 7 yards for a 12 yard gain and a first down. Parsons looked to be grabbing for the football but the rest of the defense could not stop the pile from moving forward until the refs finally blew the whistle. The Bills did the same thing a few times in this game although not for as many yards. That should never happen like that. The Bills showed they were bigger and stronger and wanted it more. But if you tackle properly, that cannot happen. No one took Cook's legs out from under him and poor tackling was a problem most of the night.