Owens Quick Slant?

ITSEL33

Reaction score
This use to be his bread and butter with San Fran and Philly. He can use his size and RAC for some big plays!

Ender

Reaction score
A quick slant is kinda difficult with the DB playing bump run every play. Probably wont work.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Maybe one of the few passes Brad Johnson can still throw effectively, from what I saw in preseason.
And wouldn't hitting that play a few times clear out the flat on that side for Witten and MBIII?

ITSEL33

Reaction score
This play doesn't take that much offensive genius to install. How about a quick screen to TO. He would break the first tackle.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
ITSEL33;2338158 said:
This play doesn't take that much offensive genius to install. How about a quick screen to TO. He would break the first tackle.

You really see him breaking a bunch of tackles out there?

I guess I miss it when it happens.

ITSEL33

Reaction score
We can't seem to be able to design plays to get him the ball. How hard can it be to change the play at the line, when the db is playing off and run a quick slant/screen.

dre1614

Reaction score
TO doesnt have the agility he used to have. Yes he can still out run people, but he cant make people miss like he did back in San Fran and Philly. Not to mention his hands aren't reliable.

Ender

Reaction score
A quick slant wont work against bump run coverage.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Owens needs to be in motion. That's why Williams would have been nice. He could have taken Owens side on third down, and Owens could have went in motion to get a clean release.

Reaction score
dre1614;2338208 said:
TO doesnt have the agility he used to have. Yes he can still out run people, but he cant make people miss like he did back in San Fran and Philly. Not to mention his hands aren't reliable.

Wrong.... different playcalling.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
stealth;2338163 said:
You really see him breaking a bunch of tackles out there?

I guess I miss it when it happens.

Do you really see him getting to try and make the move on the players, and break those tackles, while he's catching things in stride? Most of his catches this year are on patterns where he's catching balls while he's pretty much at a dead stop. Little harder to break tackles that way.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
dre1614;2338208 said:

I think you'd be hard pressed to prove this without actually seeing him run things similiar to what he ran in those offenses and failing at them. The routes he runs here are nothing like those. Garrett doesn't get him in motion enough and doesn't use his speed enough in the right kind of routes to make his best attributes more effective.

All of that, however, isn't entirely on Jason because even when they've tried to run some of those things there have been times when Tony has dumped the ball off quickly, for various reasons, before the routes can be run and pass rush on Tony has effected their ability to get the ball to Owens in some of these situations.