Padres fans

Mannix

Reaction score
OMG....I'm guessing that 99.9% of those frontrunners the last two (2) nites didn't attend ONE regular season game all year. Never seen so many johnny-come-latelies. Did my Dodgers choke? Yes. But it was criminal how both home plate umpires got caught up in the festive atmosphere....every time a Dodger worked a pitcher deep in the count, he got rung up on a ball that was 3-4 inches out of the strike zone....it was a joke!!!

Flamma

Reaction score
OMG....I'm guessing that 99.9% of those frontrunners the last two (2) nites didn't attend ONE regular season game all year. Never seen so many johnny-come-latelies. Did my Dodgers choke? Yes. But it was criminal how both home plate umpires got caught up in the festive atmosphere....every time a Dodger worked a pitcher deep in the count, he got rung up on a ball that was 3-4 inches out of the strike zone....it was a joke!!!

IMO, the Padres and Phillies have no business being in the playoffs. The 162 game season is a marathon. Everyone knows just about any team can win a short series. For those two reasons combined, you can't have 3 wildcards. What's the point of the season?

I'm not a purest, but I still want the regular season to matter. Playoff teams should not be higher than 33% of the league. The NBA and NHL regular season is to generate revenue. Any team with a pulse gets in. The NHL used to be worse for those that remember. The first 4 teams from every division made it.

The way MLB is set up, it should be no more than the Div winners and one wildcard. The Dodgers didn't choke. They lost a short series to a team that didn't deserve to be on the same field. It happens. This is coming from a Yankees fan.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
IMO, the Padres and Phillies have no business being in the playoffs. The 162 game season is a marathon. Everyone knows just about any team can win a short series. For those two reasons combined, you can't have 3 wildcards. What's the point of the season?

I'm not a purest, but I still want the regular season to matter. Playoff teams should not be higher than 33% of the league. The NBA and NHL regular season is to generate revenue. Any team with a pulse gets in. The NHL used to be worse for those that remember. The first 4 teams from every division made it.

The way MLB is set up, it should be no more than the Div winners and one wildcard. The Dodgers didn't choke. They lost a short series to a team that didn't deserve to be on the same field. It happens. This is coming from a Yankees fan.

33% of baseball teams making the playoffs still would have the Padres in...

RonWashington

Reaction score
Are the Astros still reading signs of the opposition like some John Le Carre spy novel .

kskboys

Reaction score
I just meant that as a max for any league. But IMO baseball should be 3 division winners and a wildcard.
No, baseball should shorten the season, keep the number of playoff teams but change the format. 5 games the first round, then 7 game series after that.

Flamma

Reaction score
No, baseball should shorten the season, keep the number of playoff teams but change the format. 5 games the first round, then 7 game series after that.

40% of the league is still a bit too much IMO. Two wildcards and they'd resemble how the NFL used to be up until the 90s. That wouldn't be terrible if they shortened the season.

BTW, I've always thought 162 games was ridiculous. But I doubt they make any meaningful change in that regard.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

RonWashington

Reaction score
I think that stadium has plenty of trash receptacles and recycling stations. Your hearts in the right place though the thought that counts .

Flamma

Reaction score

I didn't mean to insult fans. The Phillies are a good team. And so are the Padres. I just think when you have a ridiculous 162 game season, and the fact anyone can win a short series, you might want to keep the playoff teams limited to the very best, based on the regular season.

I think both the Phillies and Padres are good enough to get to the WS. I just don't believe they should have been given the opportunity.

At some point the players are going to act accordingly. Look at the NBA and NHL. Many of these teams don't care about winning a division. They just want to make the playoffs.