Palm Beach Post:Zach Thomas hopes to avoid downsizing

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score

Zach Thomas hopes to avoid downsizing
By Jeff Darlington

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, August 05, 2005

DAVIE — Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas isn't naive.

He expects certain questions, those constant wonders about his health and his age. After nine seasons in the NFL, he anticipates nothing less.

"I'm just trying to stay healthy," says Thomas, repeating the sentiment four times within 40 seconds Thursday.

Simple questions. Simple responses.

Suddenly, however, the concerns have begun to shift toward other more pressing issues: Can Thomas still manage to deliver the same success in coach Nick Saban's defensive schemes as he has produced for nearly a decade in Miami?

And where does the veteran linebacker fit in Saban's master plan?

While the true answer won't be revealed until the regular season begins, it will become important to note how Saban's system will cater appropriately to Thomas' skills.

Thomas left no question Thursday about his own hopes and expectations, but he also acknowledged that he understands his future in Miami isn't guaranteed.

"I hope I can stay here and end my career here," Thomas said. "It might happen, it might not. With the talent they are bringing in, it is probably possible. But I don't look at that. I just say, 'Hey, I am going to do the best I can.' "

There is no doubt Thomas still belongs. His totals from each of the past four seasons were among the top 10 for most tackles in a single season in Dolphins history.

He's still fast. He's still strong. And he's still one of the league's premier athletes when it comes to pursuing plays and stuffing the run.

So what's the issue?

In essence, Thomas has been an extremely efficient tackler in a system that relied on two large defensive tackles to keep the bulk of offensive linemen busy.

The situation allowed no mystery: Thomas would be waiting, like a harnessed missile, prepared to take out a running back upon penetration. He rarely blitzed. And the scheme rarely called for much diversity.

"(The new defense) is not like the old defense of the past, where you just know what you're going to do and it's real basic," Thomas said. "There's going to be a lot of different pressures. Different looks, ways we can attack them. Instead of them trying to attack us, it's going to be us attacking them."

The new defense will be run out of a 4-3 base, just like the old one. But with more diverse schemes involved, linebackers in Saban's system will be expected to blitz more often while remaining ready to drop back into coverage.

So will these more diverse assignments on defense require someone larger than Thomas, listed at 5-feet-11, 228 pounds, to handle the load?

Thomas doesn't think his size — or lack thereof — will be an issue.

"I think that's blown out of proportion," he said. "But that's just something we'll have to see. It's something I'll have to prove and just not talk about. I just have to go out there and play."

Thomas said he doesn't expect any problems adjusting to the system, since other players in similar schemes have succeeded despite less-than-large frames. His primary example, New England linebacker Tedy Bruschi, is listed at 6-1, 247 pounds. Last season, Bruschi recorded 76 tackles, 3.5 sacks and three interceptions while playing in a system similar to Saban's.

"There's not many of those big stiff linebackers anymore — even in the 3-4," Thomas said. "I don't see it. So if you look at the great players in this scheme, like the names I just brought up, I think this scheme is really nice (for a player like him)."

It still isn't hard to see why Saban remains so high on rookie linebacker Channing Crowder, a third-round draft choice from Florida. Crowder, at 6-2, 245, has the long arms and large frame that will allow him to effectively drop back while also covering the run at the line of scrimmage.

"(Crowder) has some good size and some power to knock them back and play physical but also has some athleticism and ability to play coverage and move with people," Saban said. "We've been very pleased with (the fact that) he is a very football-smart guy and he's got football instincts."

But don't count out Thomas. While his future in Miami might not be inevitable, he will remain at the top of Saban's list.

The reason?

"Coach Saban likes good football players," defensive coordinator Will Muschamp said. "Zach is a good football player."

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny, Dat and Zach are having the same issues w/shifting D-schemes on their respective teams. Only way to get around it is to show and prove.