Parcells issues first "challange" to TO.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else got this, but in his press conferene today, Bill was asked, "Do you worry about TO's recent injury history?"

Bill responds with, "We got to try to help him with that. Again, this is a big body that torques himself in hard angles. But the guy he replaced always played and practiced unless something was broken. "

TO has a long history of missing practice time, but playing in the game. This is Bill using his, "I hope he responds to competition well", quote.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
good eye, I read it but didn't really think about it like that

the button-pressing has begun

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I don't think he has a history of missing practice time. I'm pretty sure he has a reputation of giving 100% during practices.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Actaully i dont ever really remember him having injury problems, he had the Broken ankle then the "injuries" while he was feuding with the eagles, but other than that i've always seen him on the field. Maybe i just never payed attention.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
theogt said:
I don't think he has a history of missing practice time. I'm pretty sure he has a reputation of giving 100% during practices.

I don't recall where I read this, but I do remember a former Parcells' player bringing this up when TO was first signed. He said something to the effect that TO misses practice time with small 'tweaks', but manages to play. Parcells wants his guys to practice. The only problem I could potentially see, is with that.' Again, I'm going off memory.

Theogt, he does give a 100% when on the field, but he does have a history of missing some time.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Actaully i dont ever really remember him having injury problems, he had the Broken ankle then the "injuries" while he was feuding with the eagles, but other than that i've always seen him on the field. Maybe i just never payed attention.
Its not the missed games, its the missed practice. Parcells hates for players to miss practice time. That's the challange. The challange is for TO to be on the practice field for every practice, just like 'the guy he replaced'. He is trying to get TO to out do Keyshuan. "As long as a player responds to competition, I don't have a problem with him."

I think Bill will have fun with TO. If TO is as competitive as he appears to be, I remember the quote where TO says, "everyone is talking about Randy Moss being the best WR in the game, you better take another look, becasue 8-1 (eight-one) is on a mission. In some shape or form, Parcells will have TO competing against great football ghost from the pass. I can also see Parcells saying something to the effect of, 'I remember when I coached Ty Law, he told me their was not a WR in the league who could block him or run by him. Hopefully TO responds by not only running by Law on several players, but blocking him into the stands. Obvioulsy, Bill would only do that if we were playing against the Chiefs.

I think, this is training camp for Bill also, and he is laying the ground work for how he intends on motivating TO. JMO

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I dont know what PC you were listening to but the whole discussion had to do with Marcus Spears' recent injuries. He then went into how he approached injury prevention.

There was only one TO ? and that had to do with how DCs would have to prepare for him.

Dont stir up things that are not even there.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
I caught that and thought the same thing.

However, from my recollection, T.O.'s groin and hammy tweaks seemed to occur mostly when he was unhappy about his contract. Reckon there was any connection? ;)

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
I dont know what PC you were listening to but the whole discussion had to do with Marcus Spears' recent injuries. He then went into how he approached injury prevention.

There was only one TO ? and that had to do with how DCs would have to prepare for him.

Sorry, but Parcells specifically referenced it to "the guy he replaced", talking about Key. It was a definite, but subtle message, intended to make a point.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:

Go listen to the press conf again, my friend. Or you can read the re-cap.

Just to let you know, I don't stir the pot, I'll do the home work for you this time. Here are the press conf notes, which I didn't write:

Do you worry about TO's recent injury history?
We got to try to help him with that. Again, this is a big body that torques himself in hard angles. But the guy he replaced always played and practiced unless something was broken.

Here is a link to it also, http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58984

Do you still fill that I'm stiring things up? And by the way, its not a stir up. It was my attempt to show how Parcells is actively trying to manage TO's personality. I think the fact that Parcells is already trying to motivate him is a very good thing, and hopefully keeps TO, Parcells and the team happy for at least the next three years.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Sorry, but Parcells specifically referenced it to "the guy he replaced", talking about Key. It was a definite, but subtle message, intended to make a point.

exactly, BP is going to press TO's buttons at some point, and I think the time couldn't be any better than early in TC, when all the fans are clamoring his name

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
I caught that and thought the same thing.

However, from my recollection, T.O.'s groin and hammy tweaks seemed to occur mostly when he was unhappy about his contract. Reckon there was any connection? ;)
Cap you could be right, I didn't put the two together.

ddh33

Reaction score
I caught that in the PC recap as well. There's no question that is Bill's way to challenge and motivate TO. The difference here with people like Bill and Bledsoe is that TO isn't going to be coddled. I honestly don't think he wants to be though. Just pay him and let him play football. That's why I think this is going to work.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Based on todays report, I guess TO is not passing this test; thus far.

Reaction score
Man I dont know why anyone is worried about Terrell Owens and Drew. They're gonna get along just fine, and Drew will always be able to get the ball over the top to T.O. Especially with our improved O-line.

God I can't wait for the season to begin!!