CFZ Pass Defense not as bad as we think?

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Only three QB's have dropped 300+ yards on our defense. Stafford with 308, Lawrence with 318, and Minshew with 355. The latter two games have shown a lack of pass rush.

Taking another close look at our game against the Eagles, I see that AJ Brown this year has 1304 receiving yards and 10 TD's while getting 16.3 yards per play; DeVonta Smith has 1014 receiving yards, 7 TD's, and is getting almost 13 yards per play. They are probably the best one-two punch at WR we have faced all year. Smith as the #2 has more production than half the #1's in the league. And Minshew can throw the ball. I think we knew that. Their O.C. did his job prepping for us. Giving up passing yards to those receivers is no shame (even if the poster whose name I forget says that Smith is barely average and would be our 4th WR).

In other words, sometimes you give the other team credit too. They balled on offense. But...........we still won! Did we catch a few breaks injury-wise? Sure. But the backups are in the NFL because they can play. No shame. We took their best shot and won. Period.

Go Dak, get healthy defense, and on to the playoffs! And I hope Johnson is out as rushing the right side of their line was much easier after he left the game.

We will win a playoff game this year behind Dak. Book it.

Ken

Reaction score
Only three QB's have dropped 300+ yards on our defense. Stafford with 308, Lawrence with 318, and Minshew with 355. The latter two games have shown a lack of pass rush.

Taking another close look at our game against the Eagles, I see that AJ Brown this year has 1304 receiving yards and 10 TD's while getting 16.3 yards per play; DeVonta Smith has 1014 receiving yards, 7 TD's, and is getting almost 13 yards per play. They are probably the best one-two punch at WR we have faced all year. Smith as the #2 has more production than half the #1's in the league. And Minshew can throw the ball. I think we knew that. Their O.C. did his job prepping for us. Giving up passing yards to those receivers is no shame (even if the poster whose name I forget says that Smith is barely average and would be our 4th WR).

In other words, sometimes you give the other team credit too. They balled on offense. But...........we still won! Did we catch a few breaks injury-wise? Sure. But the backups are in the NFL because they can play. No shame. We took their best shot and won. Period.

Go Dak, get healthy defense, and on to the playoffs! And I hope Johnson is out as rushing the right side of their line was much easier after he left the game.

Minshew is a guy who had 37 tds and 11 ints in two seasons prior to joining Philly last year with a 93 rating. Hardly chopped liver.

I think our defense needs to play better but it is not nearly the trainwreck some make it out to be.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
From my vantage point it seems the issue here is that teams are getting the football out quicker before the pass rush can get there and we are 10 yards off our receivers. Its taking bend but don't break literally. I'm not entirely sure why they feel the need to play this defense especially with some of their secondary players.

blueblood70

Reaction score

its bit of both lack of pressure , not getting the qb down letting him escape when he is pressured , and the backend is not great so cant hold up once the qb extends the pay..have to get it fixed over the next 2 games so we find the best set back there and best schemes to call for the payoff game.

I would rather go back to cant stop the run vs pass they are scoring quickly and chunk yards are far worse then letting a team run clock and get smaller yards per play.. just saying..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Minshew is a guy who had 37 tds and 11 ints in two seasons prior to joining Philly last year with a 93 rating. Hardly chopped liver.

I think our defense needs to play better but it is not nearly the trainwreck some make it out to be.
Man i'd love to be optimistic but its giving Mike Nolan vibes. They could get turnovers but can't get off the field.
I can live with Minshew doing it because he has weapons and he's capable of making the throws. I think Lawrence has been on a tear but I Just expected our defense to have a better outing against them.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Teams are running wild against us, which is why passing yards total may not look to be as bad. As our pass rush has softened we are giving up bigger plays and more yards as well. Not much to be optimistic about as the playoffs approach

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Like I said before it is hard to defend the pass when teams can run 5+ YPC. Our LB are getting sucked up on every play fake and the is about a 15 yard wide-open square behind them.

Let's see when LVE and Hamilton come back. Gallimore in particular is targeted for drive blocks. He got blown off the ball 5+ multiple times this weekend.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I've raved about this defense all year long, but you can't sugar coat the issues we are seeing right now. I think they are even playing OK considering the guys they are missing, but reality is this defense is beat up and lacks depth. Right now they can't stop the run with their base defense and they can't trust their CBs 1v1. That's a bad combo to have. They'll get some help back with LVE and Hankins expected back for the post season. Still need someone to step up in the secondary though. This defense is at its best when DQ can move guys around. Right now your really cant. You can't leave these corners on islands because they get burnt, so we are limited on coverages. At the same time this Dline can't keep Olinemen off their backers which 1) causes the backers to get jumpy on play action and 2) Forces them to slow down the pass rush.

It's just a massive ripple effect when you have holes on defense at multiple levels. The Cowboys have some of the top playmakers in the league and for that we still see the turnovers which is great. This defense essentially is having to either go all out to play either run or pass right now because they can't stop either consistently playing straight up.

The good news is Hankins seemed to really have a positive impact, and should be back. The other good news is LVE had really taken on a bigger role in recent weeks, especially when paired with Clark in the game he seemed to be more aggressive and make more plays, and he should be back.

I'm expecting a lot more bend but don't break approach in the coming weeks, and I'm not sure what else they can really do unless they go back to an all out pass rush and let teams gash them of big runs. Let teams get some yards on you, but if they mostly hold teams to 3 point drives and get the occasional big play out of Parsons/Diggs/etc they should be able to stay in games with pretty much anyone. Most teams in the playoffs I think they can do that to. Outside of Philly you don't have offense juggernauts to worry about. Minnesota has some big playmakers, as does SF, but I dont consider either an elite unit.

75boyz

Reaction score

How dare you come on this forum and give credit to the opponent stating that they are talented paid professionals as well. Even one of the mods here will surely flip your excellent post, try a victim mentality twist and discredit you possibly even on a personal level.

Appreciate your honest post that demonstrates how to respect the other guys.

Maturity is a virtue.

JonesBoys

Reaction score

Most teams will let up yardage in the passing with no pass rush. Not surprising the last two games with no pass rush. The Rams game Stafford was over 300 because of that Cooper slant that went for 70 plus yards I believe. The coverage was pretty good on that Stafford just threw a perfect pass and of course Kupp ran a perfect route. Bottom line though if this pass rush doesn't get right we will continue to see QB's throw for over 300 yards. If they do tomorrow than god help them. The Titans might not be able to pass for over 300 yards with a defense playing 9 guys.

817Gill

Reaction score
Like I said before it is hard to defend the pass when teams can run 5+ YPC. Our LB are getting sucked up on every play fake and the is about a 15 yard wide-open square behind them.

Let's see when LVE and Hamilton come back. Gallimore in particular is targeted for drive blocks. He got blown off the ball 5+ multiple times this weekend.
Eagles ran for 3ypc last game. Houston was similar.
I get your point in the Jags game but 2 out of 3 of these games the run D has been excellent.