Pat Watkins isn't the first 6-5 Cowboy Safety

sago1

Reaction score
Just copied the below article off the DMN blog. Funny nobody in Dallas could remember Cornell Green when the subject of Watkins' height came up. I know I heard his name several times before but don't remember much about his performance, but he did play in 5 pro bowl games. Maybe this a good sign for Pat Watkins; he was meant to play for the Cowboys. Anyway,

Former KLIF radio sports personality Leon Simon called to tell me this morning that Pat Watkins isn't the first 6-5 safety the Cowboys have had. He wanted to remind me of Cornell Green, the former Utah basketball player, who was a key player on some of Tom Landry's best teams. Green played with Dallas from 1962-74 and played in five Pro Bowls.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Green was listed on the old rosters as 6-4.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Chief said:
Green was listed on the old rosters as 6-4.

Yep, we actually discussed this previously, on this board. Boards was 6-4. Still, tall with excellent ups and very long arms. Funny how nothing is really new once you take a close examination of it yeah?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I don't really remember him.

Did he also look like a beanpole?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
abersonc said:

No, he was a bit bigger but in truth, I don't know how big he was when he broke into the league. Also, players in general were not as big then so.....

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
abersonc said:

green.JPG

Rockytop6

Reaction score
abersonc said:

I remember him well. I didn't remember exactly how tall he was but he was one of the great ones.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I remember him, but never thought of him as being unusually tall.

I remember him as a cornerback. When his career overlapped with Mel Renfro and Herb Adderley, though, Green must have spent time at safety. Could be that Green started out as a CB and then slid over to safety once Adderley was acquired from the Packers.

Anybody remember?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I brought up the other day how much Watkins reminds me of Green and talked about Cornell a little bit but I guess nobody reads my posts. :(

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
I brought up the other day how much Watkins reminds me of Green and talked about Cornell a little bit but I guess nobody reads my posts. :(

Don't feel bad Thumper. I didn't see your post and there aren't many of us old timers on the board who remember that far back.:)

burmafrd

Reaction score
Steve Perkins book "Drive to Win" which is about the 71 season talked about Green moving from CB to Safety. Green said that he got five more years as a player moving to FS. Actually he got more then that since I think he was 6 years as a CB and 7 as a safety. I Think all his pro bowls were as a CB, but I am not sure.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Steve Perkins book "Drive to Win" which is about the 71 season talked about Green moving from CB to Safety. Green said that he got five more years as a player moving to FS. Actually he got more then that since I think he was 6 years as a CB and 7 as a safety. I Think all his pro bowls were as a CB, but I am not sure.
Thanks!

yennor24

Reaction score
My Father was actually a cornerback who converted to safety when he got older...He is about 6-4 so he is not as tall as Watkins if he is actually 6-5...By the way tell Leon I said wassup.....