Patrick Crayton, WR — Dallas Cowboys

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Crayton is a versatile player with terrific hands. He's an outstanding blocker but lacks top-end speed. Still, he's the kind of quality role player every good team has. The Cowboys will have to give Crayton, a former seventh-round pick, a high tender or risk losing him. (Jean-Jacques Taylor for SN)

Woods

Reaction score
Gryphon;1397162 said:
Crayton is a versatile player with terrific hands. He's an outstanding blocker but lacks top-end speed. Still, he's the kind of quality role player every good team has. The Cowboys will have to give Crayton, a former seventh-round pick, a high tender or risk losing him. (Jean-Jacques Taylor for SN)

I think we're tendering him at $1.3mm. We'd get a 2nd rounder if we were to lose him with that tender, going on memory.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Gryphon;1397162 said:

There have been some great WR who lacked top end speed and of course there have been some burners in the NFL and on this team who could not run a decent rout or catch a ball if you handed it to them. I think Crayton knows how to use the speed he does have and has the hands to make the catch as well good movement to avoid tackles. I know some peg him as nothing more than a #3 WR myself I think he can do more.

Sandyf

Reaction score
These are the numbers for tenders

Low tender (original draft round compensation) = $850,000
Second-round tender = $1.3 million
First-round tender = $1.8 million.
High tender (1st and 3rd) = $2.35 million

I think we will see Crayton at $1.8 million and will not be surprised to see Nate Jones at $1.3 million. Appartently Valley Ranch is enamoured with Jones who can play both CB and FS. Seems he is being touted as a possible starting CB which is interesting.

Woods

Reaction score
Sandyf;1397171 said:
These are the numbers for tenders

Low tender (original draft round compensation) = $850,000
Second-round tender = $1.3 million
First-round tender = $1.8 million.
High tender (1st and 3rd) = $2.35 million

I think we will see Crayton at $1.8 million and will not be surprised to see Nate Jones at $1.3 million. Appartently Valley Ranch is enamoured with Jones who can play both CB and FS. Seems he is being touted as a possible starting CB which is interesting.

I think it was already stated that N. Jones and Reeves would be tendered at $850,000 each, while Crayton would be tendered at $1.3mm.

Of course, maybe JJ changes his mind . . . .

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;1397168 said:
There have been some great WR who lacked top end speed and of course there have been some burners in the NFL and on this team who could not run a decent rout or catch a ball if you handed it to them. I think Crayton knows how to use the speed he does have and has the hands to make the catch as well good movement to avoid tackles. I know some peg him as nothing more than a #3 WR myself I think he can do more.

I'm with you.

I would try to work out a long-term deal with Crayton giving him more coin now and a bit less in the future.

I think he could move into the team's #2 position next season, allowing the Cowboys to draft a #1 guy in '08.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Crayton dissapears for games at a time ..... I like the guy and love when he makes a big play ..... but he will never be more than a number 3 so I would not be dissapointed to see him leave ....

Sad because a few years ago I was excited about the guy .....

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem with tendering Crayton to a 1st rounder.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Now if they make him the holder (with his great hands) then that would pump up his worth .....

sago1

Reaction score
Frankly as a former QB, Crayton would be the ideal holder. We certainly don't want our starter to do it any more. He need focus only on QB job--not on any other position. If not Crayton, we probably have another player who might have previous holding experience. Maybe EJWhitely has some experience as a holder since he must have had good hands playing center.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
Woods;1397165 said:
I think we're tendering him at $1.3mm. We'd get a 2nd rounder if we were to lose him with that tender, going on memory.
correct

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
zrinkill;1397211 said:
Crayton dissapears for games at a time ..... I like the guy and love when he makes a big play ..... but he will never be more than a number 3 so I would not be dissapointed to see him leave ....

Sad because a few years ago I was excited about the guy .....

well he got off to a slow start in 06 but remember he was out 2nd half of 05. I was very pleased with him and think he has well exceeded what you can expect of a person drafted where he was. And if he is no better than a 3 thats a great thing. #3 receivers are important parts of a team. Personally I think he can be more than a 3, but even as a 3 he is very much an asset.