Pats and McGinnest may part ways...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
According to Lenny P, the Pats hate to do it but they might have to release him because of salary ramificatins.

If you could trade Ellis for a mid round pick, and pick up MicGinnest to take his spot as nickel pass rusher and play SOLB for a similar salary would you do it?

I would do it in a second. If you draft someone like Charlton Keith with that 4th round draft pick you got for Ellis, you've got Ellis longterm and short term replacement and a much better fit for the defense ... and without the constant pity-party attitude. McGinnest is supposed to be a phenomenal guy in the lockerroom, and would be a great mentor for Ware.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yes, I'd do it too. Get another 3rd rounder or get our 4th round pick back for Ellis.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Yes, I'd do it too. Get another 3rd rounder or get our 4th round pick back for Ellis.

I would do it to but it is much easier said than done. Ellis is still a player, as is McGinnest. Yet is it worth it to trade for another midround pick who wont pay any dividends for a year or more? It really just seems like we are taking the better locker room guy/leader in a trade for someone who still plays at a high level.

I really like the locker room/Ware mentoring angle. Ellis is just a quiet lead by example guy who does his job. Instead of drafting a guy to take his spot I would go WR/Oline with that pick and go with whoever dropped to the midrounds i.e. Pat Watkins, O'Callaghan etc...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
I think McGinest still has some fuel in the tank. The guy is a phenomenal leader and he still performs at a high level. I'd do it.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much gas he has left. I watched the Denver game and he was a non factor.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally I was never that excited about McGinnest. I mean he's decent but he's always struck me as being the "Greg Ellis" before there was a Greg Ellis.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Greg Ellis isn't going anywhere, so you guys might as well just stop with the "trade Ellis" crap.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kingwhicker said:
What is he, like 40? Well, he'd definitely fit in. Bring him and Rocket Ismail in.

LOL!

I hear Phil McConkey is available too!

ghst187

Reaction score
i'd love to get McGuinnest. A 3-4 DE should not be getting the tackles and sacks that he gets but he's an absolute stud. I'm not sure what game some folks were watching during the playoffs but Willie was definitely a guy I thought stood out. I wouldn't give up a lot to get him but I'd definitely trade Ellis or Glover and a second day pick and Dexter Coakley.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
i'd love to get McGuinnest. A 3-4 DE should not be getting the tackles and sacks that he gets but he's an absolute stud. I'm not sure what game some folks were watching during the playoffs but Willie was definitely a guy I thought stood out. I wouldn't give up a lot to get him but I'd definitely trade Ellis or Glover and a second day pick and Dexter Coakley.

He isn't a 3-4 end. He's a 3-4 OLB. He's a nickel end.

BLT

Reaction score
John Clayton should be reporting any day if Willie Mcginest is let go by the Patriots expect the Cowboys to possibly be interested.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
What is he, like 40? Well, he'd definitely fit in. Bring him and Rocket Ismail in.

He's 34. Which is why I speculated that you'd probably also draft a young player with the pick you got for Ellis "Spring Chicken" who will be 31 next before the start of next season. It just seems like he hasn't been playing that long because his career has been so non-descript.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
He's 34. Which is why I speculated that you'd probably also draft a young player with the pick you got for Ellis "Spring Chicken" who will be 31 next before the start of next season. It just seems like he hasn't been playing that long because his career has been so non-descript.

Does justifying a player require you to take swipes at current players as well?

I like McGinest fine, but his sack totals have hardly been anything amazing either. In fact, his sack averages are pretty comparable to that of Ellis. The only reason this makes much sense is McGinest has more value in the 3-4....if you are completely sold on the message board theory that Ellis was ineffective in the 3-4. Something that doesn't exactly jive with reports we are hearing out of VR these days.