Pay Attention To The Signs (Offensive Line)

The Realist

Reaction score
If we didn't like Free we had every chance to draft Vollmer or Beatty.

We didn't.

Per Mickey, if we couldn't have traded down from 51 we would have taken Loadholt.

Another signal we think we have something in Free at LT.

Passing on Loadholt also tells us we don't think Colombo is washed up at 31.

What I don't get is I see people posting saying they hope Free pans out, but also wanting to spend a 1 on an OT to start at LT?

If you fix a position on the cheap with a mid-round, late round or UDFA why spend a premium pick on that position.

People have been screaming WR for 4-5 years, but the staff saw something in Austin/Hurd.

I'm sure there were people wanting Quinn and other QB's but we fixed it with Romo.

People were begging for the 320+ NT run stuffer even after we develop Rat from the 7th round.

Let's use a first rounder and spend first round money on a LT when we think we have it fixed with Doug Free?

On top of that we haven't used a first rounder on OL since 1989.

If Free stinks it up, ok, I get it.

If not, look to top of 2-3 to get a RT that is groomed behind Colombo for a year or 2.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
The Realist;3085394 said:
If we didn't like Free we had every chance to draft Vollmer or Beatty.

We didn't.

Per Mickey, if we couldn't have traded down from 51 we would have taken Loadholt.

Another signal we think we have something in Free at LT.

Passing on Loadholt also tells us we don't think Colombo is washed up at 31.

What I don't get is I see people posting saying they hope Free pans out, but also wanting to spend a 1 on an OT to start at LT?

LT is the most important position on offense other than the qb.
If you fix a position on the cheap with a mid-round, late round or UDFA why spend a premium pick on that position.

that's why we have little depth at every position other than rb though
People have been screaming WR for 4-5 years, but the staff saw something in Austin/Hurd.
Hurd is still a #4 wr. Austin had a few big games and has done very little the past 2 games where he's been doubled
I'm sure there were people wanting Quinn and other QB's but we fixed it with Romo.
this is true. for now atleast
People were begging for the 320+ NT run stuffer even after we develop Rat from the 7th round.
i've seen Rat get worn out the last 2 seasons. hope it doesn't happen again. but that has more to do with getting a quality backup to spell Rat and start if he were to get injured.
Let's use a first rounder and spend first round money on a LT when we think we have it fixed with Doug Free?
I highly doubt Free is the answer at LT. we've been terrible at drafting o-linemen for a while now.
On top of that we haven't used a first rounder on OL since 1989.

If Free stinks it up, ok, I get it.

If not, look to top of 2-3 to get a RT that is groomed behind Colombo for a year or 2.
I think Colombo will be fine. but have to get better depth on the o-line.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Free isn't a LT. He is going to get Romo killed. How about we just sack up and invest a first round pick in a LT. Get that over with and not have to worry about it for the next 10 years.

The Realist

Reaction score
Rampage;3085405 said:
I think Colombo will be fine. but have to get better depth on the o-line.

Great response.

1) So by your logic LT and QB are viable options in the first round since they are the 2 most important positions. First round probably isn't a great place to be drafting for depth.

2) Similar answer. Don't go hunting for depth in 1-2 and I challenge the assertion that we have very little depth.

3) Austin is our most explosive WR and is a UDFA WR demanding double teams. The price to pry Austin away from us? What would you say? At least a one. Our WR's 2-4 cost us 1 7th round pick. Maybe we know what we are doing at that position when at least 50% of WR's in first two rounds are complete busts.

4) Fixed QB with Romo "at least for now". What in the world does that mean.

Again, you don't draft depth in the first round

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
The Realist;3085440 said:
Great response.

1) So by your logic LT and QB are viable options in the first round since they are the 2 most important positions. First round probably isn't a great place to be drafting for depth.

2) Similar answer. Don't go hunting for depth in 1-2 and I challenge the assertion that we have very little depth.

3) Austin is our most explosive WR and is a UDFA WR demanding double teams. The price to pry Austin away from us? What would you say? At least a one. Our WR's 2-4 cost us 1 7th round pick. Maybe we know what we are doing at that position when at least 50% of WR's in first two rounds are complete busts.

4) Fixed QB with Romo "at least for now". What in the world does that mean.

Again, you don't draft depth in the first round

It would be depth for a year max. Then they become starters. Ask the Steelers. They do it all the time. Ala Lawrence Timmons and Ziggy Hood.

The Realist

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3085494 said:
It would be depth for a year max. Then they become starters. Ask the Steelers. They do it all the time. Ala Lawrence Timmons and Ziggy Hood.

Counter that with we haven't drafted OL in one since 1989 and Jerry has said he wouldn't draft a RT in one.

On top of that, the OL you get bottom of one is the same guy you get top to mid 2.

Case and point.....................

Is the LT you get bottom of one better than Marcus McNeil?

Is the OG/OC you get bottom of one better than Max Unger?

Is the RT you get bottom of one any better than Phil Loadholt?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
The Realist;3085511 said:
Counter that with we haven't drafted OL in one since 1989 and Jerry has said he wouldn't draft a RT in one.

On top of that, the OL you get bottom of one is the same guy you get top to mid 2.

Case and point.....................

Is the LT you get bottom of one better than Marcus McNeil?

Is the OG/OC you get bottom of one better than Max Unger?

Is the RT you get bottom of one any better than Phil Loadholt?

Those guys you mentioned were 2nd round picks. Thanks for agreeing with me.

The Realist

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3085437 said:
Free isn't a LT. He is going to get Romo killed. How about we just sack up and invest a first round pick in a LT. Get that over with and not have to worry about it for the next 10 years.

What do reading comprehension mean?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Give me one of these two

OT Anthony Davis
OT Jason Fox

+

OG Mike Iupati

+

C Matt Tennant

add these three with OT Free and OG Brewster and we now have a solid 2nd unit that we can groom to replace our first unit.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;3085708 said:
Give me one of these two

OT Anthony Davis
OT Jason Fox

+

OG Mike Iupati

+

C Matt Tennant

add these three with OT Free and OG Brewster and we now have a solid 2nd unit that we can groom to replace our first unit.

I like it. They'll serve as depth for 1-2 years in the meantime, then become starters. Perfect. Too bad Jerry will go TE or something in the 2nd round.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Playing the lottery is risky but if you keep purchasing the $1 dollar scratch off tickets hoping to atleast get your money back your missing out on the opportunity to get a big payoff with $10 cards.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I think Free is going to make a very good LT ....just a hunch.

Still see them drafting two lineman minimum, just not sure where in the draft.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
we trade down get

LT Jason Fox, OT, Miami

trade up in the second to get

Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

3 rd Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky
Cowboys will soon have a huge hole right next to Bradie James. Keith Brooking, who just turned 34, won't last much longer.

Myron Lewis, DB, Vanderbilt

THIS THE GUY I REALLY WANT IN THE THIRD

Toby Gerhart, Stanford
Height: 6-1. Weight: 232.
Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
Projected Round (2010): 2-4.

take FB place plus this kid can move
Gerhart already has 120 carries in five games. He has 650 yards and eight touchdowns on a 5.4 YPC.

2/6/09: Tony Gerhart rushed for 1,136 yards and 15 touchdowns for Stanford as a junior.

but at Center I could see us waiting until late

Chris Hall, Texas
Height: 6-4. Weight: 300.
Projected 40 Time: 5.06.
Projected Round (2010): 7-FA

One of the more versatile linemen in this class, Chris Hall started at every position as a sophomore.

RS12

Reaction score
The line is getting old everywhere and needs young future starters everywhere. It needs to be addressed this year. The reserves you have now are huge question marks. LT is the logical place to start followed by center.

Reaction score
Anyone that doesn't think we've done a miserable job obtaining personnel for the offensive line over the past few years hasn't been paying attention. If Free was such a find, then why didn't he come in at OG last season when the junk that we had fell flat?

As was said earlier, at #51 in the second round in April, we were sitting there with the oldest OL in the NFL, but traded it away. "Nothing worth taking there", they said. I just watched Sebastian Vollmer stone one of the greatest pass rushers of our time on MNF. I believe Beatty will make a very good LT as well. Our two biggest competitors had better offensive lines going into the off-season, yet still saw the need to make major improvements. The Eagles & Giants both obtained quality young LTs. If you think that reaching for OG Robert Brewster with one of the picks they got from the Bills with that trade is the answer, you're sadly mistaken.

We should have taken an O'lineman last season, and at least 2-3 out of the 12 we had this year. We have NO depth, and our starters are old & getting tired and beaten up. Very poor management in this area.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Cogan;3088426 said:
Anyone that doesn't think we've done a miserable job obtaining personnel for the offensive line over the past few years hasn't been paying attention. If Free was such a find, then why didn't he come in at OG last season when the junk that we had fell flat?

As was said earlier, at #51 in the second round in April, we were sitting there with the oldest OL in the NFL, but traded it away. "Nothing worth taking there", they said. I just watched Sebastian Vollmer stone one of the greatest pass rushers of our time on MNF. I believe Beatty will make a very good LT as well. Our two biggest competitors had better offensive lines going into the off-season, yet still saw the need to make major improvements. The Eagles & Giants both obtained quality young LTs. If you think that reaching for OG Robert Brewster with one of the picks they got from the Bills with that trade is the answer, you're sadly mistaken.

We should have taken an O'lineman last season, and at least 2-3 out of the 12 we had this year. We have NO depth, and our starters are old & getting tired and beaten up. Very poor management in this area.

This is the time of the year Flo's play starts to fade and sure enough like old faithful....

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
This OL is always overrated bc of Romos scrambling and the depth at RB. 2 of the first 4 picks should be OL.