Perspective: Tony and Receiver Trust

superpunk

Reaction score
This is just a feeling I get, seeing if other people view it the same way.

Tony and Witten almost seem to share the same mind half the time - Witten will be using his body to lean on a LB one way and before he even snaps it off and turns Romo has already cut it loose. Many times this is probably just play design, but that kind of chemistry is what makes them the most dangerous QB-TE tandem in the league.

It's that type of trust that makes Peyton to Harrison special. It's what made Aikman to Irvin special. Aikman knew that if he put the ball where it was supposed to go, Irvin was going to go get it 9 times out of 10.

What I wonder is if Romo has that same trust/confidence in TO? I get the impression that it's not there. Whether it's not on the same page mentally, or poor routes from TO, feeling TO is unreliable (he's not a natural catcher so contested catches don't always work out) or something else, it doesn't seem like Romo has the confidence that he can throw it up to TO even if he's covered and that he will get open and go get the ball. Does anyone else get that same feeling? Maybe I'm off base, that's just the impression that I get.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
superpunk;2343303 said:

Tony and Witten almost seem to share the same mind half the time - Witten will be using his body to lean on a LB one way and before he even snaps it off and turns Romo has already cut it loose. Many times this is probably just play design, but that kind of chemistry is what makes them the most dangerous QB-TE tandem in the league.

It's that type of trust that makes Peyton to Harrison special. It's what made Aikman to Irvin special. Aikman knew that if he put the ball where it was supposed to go, Irvin was going to go get it 9 times out of 10.

What I wonder is if Romo has that same trust/confidence in TO? I get the impression that it's not there. Whether it's not on the same page mentally, or poor routes from TO, feeling TO is unreliable (he's not a natural catcher so contested catches don't always work out) or something else, it doesn't seem like Romo has the confidence that he can throw it up to TO even if he's covered and that he will get open and go get the ball. Does anyone else get that same feeling? Maybe I'm off base, that's just the impression that I get.
You bring up an interesting point.

This is what I see from Romo.

a. When he comes off the line he first looks at either TO or Witten, when they are covered up, someone has single coverage but if the guy is covered, he tries to buy time.

Problem is, when you have single coverage, you just have to let it fly sometimes and allow the receiver to MAKE A PLAY, like Warner does for Fitzgerald, just let it fly.

Don't let it fly in double coverage, but single coverage, I used to tell my QB, just fling it up, I promise I'll be the one that comes down with it, and if not, he certainly won't catch it because I'll become a DB and break it up.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Not to be trite, but don't Romo and TO lead the league in TD connections since Romo took over the starting job? Up until about Week 4 of this year, I actually thought to myself many a time that they reminded me of Aikman-Irvin, Manning-Harrison in terms of that intrinsic relationship.

To me, everything has gotten out of sync the last few weeks. Romo, Witten, TO, the line, the defense -- everything. So I would agree that I don't think that mind-reading thing has been there the last few games.

I've always seen Witten as a mix of Novacek-Irvin (in terms of his role in the offense). He's the safety blanket of Novacek, but gets more looks because he's a much better player. He's the go-to guy for a first down, a la Irvin.

But I think Owens is Romo's big-play guy.

Slammin Bran 23

Reaction score
Clove;2343384 said:
You bring up an interesting point.

This is what I see from Romo.

a. When he comes off the line he first looks at either TO or Witten, when they are covered up, someone has single coverage but if the guy is covered, he tries to buy time.

Problem is, when you have single coverage, you just have to let it fly sometimes and allow the receiver to MAKE A PLAY, like Warner does for Fitzgerald, just let it fly.

Don't let it fly in double coverage, but single coverage, I used to tell my QB, just fling it up, I promise I'll be the one that comes down with it, and if not, he certainly won't catch it because I'll become a DB and break it up.

Yea I know what you mean.

cowboyz

Reaction score
i think part of the reason is witten gets open consistently. TO's a great wr, but you can't really count on him getting open every single time.

second, witten will help romo on bad passes. he'll fight for it.

TO does not. he does a half *** try where if he catches it can get additional yards. instead of selling out for the catch.

third, witten has better hands

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Owens is starting to show his age by for the 1st time in forever having trouble when he gets jammed.

superpunk

Reaction score
cowboyz;2343559 said:
i think part of the reason is witten gets open consistently. TO's a great wr, but you can't really count on him getting open every single time.

second, witten will help romo on bad passes. he'll fight for it.

TO does not. he does a half *** try where if he catches it can get additional yards. instead of selling out for the catch.

third, witten has better hands
That could all contribute. I don't disagree with any of the three.

Maybe with Roy W. Romo can develop that trust / chemistry that he seems to lack with Owens, while still maintaining Owens as the playmaker. Williams said he's a possession guy - let's see a WR making some tough catches in traffic.

Boysboy

Reaction score
superpunk;2343303 said:

Well-I guess we can write off those BS rumors how Romo tries to force it into TO all the time to make him happy.

Yeah-this is nothing new-outside from a couple of games, Romo seems to look for Witten(and maybe even others) first. Remember the Buffalo game last year-all but one INT was trying to force it into Witten(the other being to Hurd).

Boysboy

Reaction score
Rampage;2343569 said:
Owens is starting to show his age by for the 1st time in forever having trouble when he gets jammed.

In SF and Philly, Mooch and Reid constantly moved him around at the LOS to get him free off of jams.

Pt being that Garrett doesn't do nearly much of that. I don't think his age has anything to do with it-it's more to do with not utilizing him as well.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Boysboy;2343734 said:
In SF and Philly, Mooch and Reid constantly moved him around at the LOS to get him free off of jams.

Pt being that Garrett doesn't do nearly much of that. I don't think his age has anything to do with it-it's more to do with not utilizing him as well.
i hope you're right

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
ROMO just has a great feel for the game......he could complete passes to me!

Eskimo

Reaction score
I do agree with some of the criticism Garrett is receiving. I think the genius title has been overused largely because of his Princeton roots. I think he is more like Zampese than Norv - he lacks a true feeling for the game. I don't think he will ever be considered one of the greats. He is made to look better than he is by the quality of his players.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think it premature to judge him. He doesn't have the volume of work necessary.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
The chem between him and Owens is just fine. I feel like Witten is the go to guy because he always gets more favorable match ups and has better hands.