Peter King on Cowboys-Steelers

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now for the subplots of the weekend:

Tony Romo gets the loss in Pittsburgh. Romo and tight end Jason Witten both said the losing interception-returned-for-a-touchdown by DeShea Townsend was their fault. Witten looked like he slipped and read the route the wrong way coming out of his break on a slippery Heinz Field. Whatever. That ball, like so many others on the day by Romo, was thrown way off course, and it was the capper on the Steelers' 17-0 run in the final eight minutes to win.

There's no way Witten, had he broke right, would have been in position to catch this ball. So I put the blame on Romo. I assume it has to be part pinky, part weather, but this is only going to add to the perception Romo's not a big-game quarterback -- 19-of-36, 210 yards, one touchdown, three picks, one fumble -- though one of the picks was more Terrell Owens' laziness than a poor throw.

I don't buy that perception about Romo, by the way; I'm simply making the point that if the Cowboys don't make the playoffs, the thread of two straight playoff-opening losses and this horrible interception will begin to write the book on Romo. My other point is that Romo deserves the criticism, but let's let his career breathe before we label him some sort of A-Rod in the clutch.

This game will be dissected for days in Dallas and celebrated like few other Steelers wins ever -- and I mean that, because in neo-natal units across western Pennsylvania, nurses coo babies to sleep by cursing the Cowboys. But the Cowboys played it a little too safe for me in the fourth quarter.

With a 13-3 lead and 9:28 to play, on third-and-five from the Dallas 19, offensive coordinator Jason Garrett started to bleed the clock -- as it turned out, too soon. Romo handed to Tashard Choice, who was stopped for a loss of one. Within two minutes, the Steelers had a field goal, and Dallas went three-and-out, and Pittsburgh drove 67 yards for a touchdown, and then Romo made his fateful throw to Townsend.

Moral of the story: A 10-point leads on the road shouldn't be sat on with 10 minutes left. That didn't lose Dallas the game, certainly. But it didn't help.

Wade Phillips sharpens résumé skills. What? Too early for this one? OK. We'll give it a week or two. Am I blaming him? Not at all. But it's not me Phillips has to worry about.

The Fine Fifteen
3. Pittsburgh (10-3). My in-laws are from Pittsburgh, so I know what I'm talking about here: DeShea Townsend will never have to buy a shot and a beer in that town again.

12. Dallas (8-5). There are some serious -- I mean, very serious -- communication issues on the field between Tony Romo and Jason Witten.

Quote of the Week I

"People get too preoccupied with style points. That was a beautiful football game.''
-- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, after the Steelers scored 17 points in the last eight minutes to shock the Cowboys.

landryscorner

Reaction score
I hope Wade enjoys the Dallas Hospitality for the next 3 games, IF which I am very doubtful at the moment the cowboys make it to the wildcard games then I hope he enjoys those two, but thats as far as we'll get...how can a 13-3 first seed team come to this??? simple...COACHING

get the hell out of our state bum....and take your ST coach with you and your Def cordinator...they suck as much as you do...

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Hard to disagree with what he says.

Dallas tightened up and tried to ride things out. Hopefully its a lesson learned but I doubt it.

Stay Puft and Redball will just attribute it to bad fortune.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
The thing I don't like about King is he is such a front runner. One week he is praising a team and the next minute he is tearing them down. One week he has us at #4 in his power rankings and the next week we lose to a top 3 team on the road and we fall all the way down to #12. If we win next week against the Giants we will be back in the top 5. What a joke. Fine Fifteen. The only thing I care about is being in the Final Twelve.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Of course everyone is going to bash the draw call to Choice with 9:28 left.

But lets think about it here.

I think it was a drive or two before we faced a 3rd and 4 and ran that draw and got a first down. Now, a 3rd and 6 is more of a passing situation than a 3rd and 4. Most of the time a team is going to pass. Therefore, the Steelers were going to bring heat and try to get after Romo. We tried to counter this and catch them off guard. Unfortunately it didnt work.

But I didn't mind the call at all, although I do admit I was hoping we'd pass. Remember back in 06 against Indy? Similar situation on 3rd down, and we went with the slant to Glenn to get the first down and keep the clock running. Had it been incomplete it would've given Peyton almost 3 minutes to complete a comeback.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
I love Romo but...damn, I wish he would work more on his accuracy. This guy has all the intangibles save one - he can't hit his target in the same consistent manner like our beloved Aikman could. And that's a real shame for this kid, too, because if he found a way to hone his accuracy skills, he could possibly be the greatest quarterback for this franchise - EVER.

Early in the game yesterday, I noticed how several of Romo's passes were sailing high over each of his intended targets and out of reach. I thought he would try and make adjustments on his throws but it continued late in the game. It got to the point that it was so frustrating to watch this that I wanted to reach my hands through my tv screen and throttle his neck while shouting at him to concentrate on his fundamentals when passing the football. I suppose one could use the weather as an excuse but if you look at other games this past season where the weather wasn't a factor, you'll still find those same cursed errant throws he continued to make. All of this, of course, can be corrected - provided that he's got the right qb coach in place to work with him on it.

Hell, I'd hate to think that all it would take to correct his deficiency is for someone to hang a spare tire up at the practice facility and have Tony throw a football through it about a hundred times every day to improve his accuracy. It couldn't be that simple - could it?:rolleyes:

MissionCoach

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2474268 said:
Now for the subplots of the weekend:

The Fine Fifteen
3. Pittsburgh (10-3). My in-laws are from Pittsburgh, so I know what I'm talking about here: DeShea Townsend will never have to buy a shot and a beer in that town again.

On the flip side Wade Phillips may have bought himself a SHOT in his BEER Belly from some deranged Dallas Fan

tyke1doe

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2474348 said:
Of course everyone is going to bash the draw call to Choice with 9:28 left.

But lets think about it here.

I think it was a drive or two before we faced a 3rd and 4 and ran that draw and got a first down. Now, a 3rd and 6 is more of a passing situation than a 3rd and 4. Most of the time a team is going to pass. Therefore, the Steelers were going to bring heat and try to get after Romo. We tried to counter this and catch them off guard. Unfortunately it didnt work.

But I didn't mind the call at all, although I do admit I was hoping we'd pass. Remember back in 06 against Indy? Similar situation on 3rd down, and we went with the slant to Glenn to get the first down and keep the clock running. Had it been incomplete it would've given Peyton almost 3 minutes to complete a comeback.

I agree. Of all the calls, this is hardly the call to get angry about.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2474298 said:
Hard to disagree with what he says.

Dallas tightened up and tried to ride things out. Hopefully its a lesson learned but I doubt it.

Stay Puft and Redball will just attribute it to bad fortune.

Now that sig there is the sig of the century.

landryscorner

Reaction score
bootsy;2474329 said:
The thing I don't like about King is he is such a front runner. One week he is praising a team and the next minute he is tearing them down. One week he has us at #4 in his power rankings and the next week we lose to a top 3 team on the road and we fall all the way down to #12. If we win next week against the Giants we will be back in the top 5. What a joke. Fine Fifteen. The only thing I care about is being in the Final Twelve.

---------------------------------------------------

Yah give up 17 points in the 4th quarter to a subpar offensive team and the experts go bonkers on you........dam scoundrels..(yah i know 7 points were on def. dont remind me thanks)