Peter King's DPOY (Parsons No. 2)

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL......many fans wanna get rid of him

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...-andy-reid-kansas-city-chiefs-peter-king-fmia

The DPOY Dilemma

The day my NFL awards ballot was due to the Associated Press 12 days ago, I finished seven categories, knowing for a couple of weeks I’d struggle on the eighth. In very few cases over the years filling out this ballot have I agonized the way I did this year on Defensive Player of the Year. I’ll take you into my deliberations.
I thought there were five strong candidates, all edge players: Maxx Crosby, Myles Garrett, Khalil Mack, Micah Parsons and T.J. Watt, in alphabetical order. (Four very good ones didn’t make my cut in Josh Allen, Nick Bosa, Danielle Hunter and Aidan Hutchinson).
This contest, as has happened with many of the awards now, has been impacted by advanced metrics. It used to be, maybe 15 years ago, that you’d look at the sack leaders or the interception leader and give the nod to one of them. But times have changed, with deeper dives into numbers and pass-rush metrics from Next Gen Stats and PFF. This one number illustrated how close this contest was: Garrett and Watt, the front-runners in the eyes of many, each had 86 regular-season quarterback pressures (sacks/QB hits/hurries), per PFF.
My criteria is not precise. Which player lifts his defense the most, perhaps making a good defense great? Which player both masters the new-age metrics and passes the eye test for major impact all season? How do players and coaches and GMs I’ve spoken with during the year rate the best players?
The cases for all five will show you I could have picked any of them and had a strong argument:
Crosby, Las Vegas: For my money, the highest-energy defensive player in football. Best run defender of them all, with 42 run stops and 18 run stuffs (rushers tackled for zero or negative yards). Played every snap in 10 Raider games this year, a rarity; four other players with one each were the only others to do that. Had more overall pressures (94) than Garrett and Watt. His negative is time to pressure—3.19 seconds per pressure, per Next Gen Stats. That’s almost a full second slower than Parsons and Garrett.
Garrett, Cleveland: Heartbeat of his team. “I’ve coached three players who made every coordinator who ever played us say, ‘That’s the guy we’ve got to account for on every play,’” Browns defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz told me. “Ray Lewis, Calvin Johnson and Myles Garrett.” Average time to get to the quarterback: 2.32 seconds, which was second only to Parsons’ 2.31 seconds. His most impressive metric: PFF rated Garrett number one in pass-rush grade and pass-rush win rate—how often the pass-rusher is judged to have beaten his blocker on pass-rush snaps. His win rate of 27.3 percent was significantly better than Watt’s 16.9-percent win rate.
Mack, L.A. Chargers: Sneaky excellent season, including against the run, with the same number of tackles behind the line (38; 21 tackles for loss and 17 sacks) as T.J. Watt. More passes batted down (10) than any edge player, and the most forced fumbles (five) in this group. He forced his way into this group despite his team being the worst among the top candidates.
Parsons, Dallas: There’s a stat Next Gen uses called “quick pressure.” It’s a measure of how many pressures a rusher gets in 2.5 seconds after the snap or less. Parsons had 62, Garrett 54 and Watt 37. Parsons had the highest average pressure rate (pressures divided by overall rushes) at 21.4 percent, 4 points ahead of Garrett, 8 points ahead of Watt.
Watt, Pittsburgh: This year became the first player to win the NFL sacks a third time with 19.0 sacks. That’s 4.5 more than Crosby and five more than Garrett and Parsons. That matters, getting home more than anyone else. It matters a lot. Per Next Gen Stats, though, Watt had a pressure rate of 13.7 percent per rush—good, but down the list from the best edge-rushers. Watt would have won it in bygone years because of his sack numbers, and his terrific overall play could win it this year when the awards are announced in Las Vegas on Feb. 8.
I almost thought: Flip a five-sided coin.
I picked Garrett. In order, my top five were Garrett, Parsons, Watt, Crosby and Mack. Garrett was high in both PFF grade and Next Gen pass-rush metrics, and his team was the number one defense in football. More than that, I kept thinking of one play—amazingly, not a pass-rush or strip-sack or some great spin move.

Majic

Reaction score
Which makes it even more frustrating that the front office is not using him correctly within the scheme

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Not sure how it gets done but his impact should be in the minds of QBs and defensive coordinators every defensive play. In other words, you want them worrying about how he's lined up every play. I think Quinn got away from that bit......

Cowboys93

Reaction score
His influence on the field is undeniable, but you have to question whether his potential is being maxed out now that he’s a full time DE. I’d pay him as a DE but give us the flexibility of having him move back as a true LB on running downs

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
only #2? We have standards around here podcast parsons, our wildcard exits are amongst the elite here, #2 is inexcusable. Cut him, what an absolute bum.

John813

Reaction score
He's mixed in a great group of edge rushers.

For me, It's a toss up between Garrett and Crosby.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
He doesn’t mention a single non pass rusher. Bland broke a decades old record and isn’t even mentioned.

John813

Reaction score
I agree but the impact of his pressures AND sacks def makes him #2 or 3 IMO.
For sure. Parsons is the freakist athlete among the finalist and the explosiveness he has makes him a threat.
The only reason I have Garrett and Crosby higher is their overall play. Parsons at LB is better at run stopping than at edge. If he played LB on run downs more I think he would of had a better showing in the run game. Him at edge has been a mixed bag, with some games, like Arizona, having good success running right at him. A bit Robert Quinnish at times for edge contain

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Meanwhile the MLBs from the Ravens and 49ers will likely be the reasons their teams make the Super Bowl. Did any of those edge rushers have good teams?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
What good is being the quickest when you don't actually take the QB down? It's good to get there fast, but if he escapes the rush as they do a lot, then you're just burning yourself out