Peterson/McFadden

CowboyMort

Reaction score
After watching Adrian Peterson today, I could be talked into packaging both first round picks next year and try to trade up for McFadden. I was totally against that but, after today I am warming to the idea. Of course we may not be able to get that chance if Cleveland keeps winning.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Just heard Tiki explain why he thinks AD is so good. He says he never looks at defenders coming from the side and that he's always looking upfield and towards the endzone. That's interesting and something to look for the next time I get a chance to watch AD play.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
I just think that some how, some way, Jerry Jones will get McFadden. He hasn't coveted a player like this in a long time.

Do I think that JJones will give to much? Yeah, probably. It wouldn't surprise me if he gave up both firsts this year and even a second next year to secure the pick.

And if Miami has the pick, they would probably take it since they want to restock their roster. After all, they just traded Chambers to start the process. And it could be possibile that they could take both 2nds next year, theirs and ours, and trade for a late 1st if they really wanted someone.

Thoughts?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Yeah, the more I look at it, I'm starting to want McFadden as well. McFadden would carve up defenses not knowing if it's run or pass. If we can find CB/WR in Free Agency, and or Stanback becomes the real deal, I'd do it now with both 1's.

CowboyMort

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark;1743571 said:
I just think that some how, some way, Jerry Jones will get McFadden. He hasn't coveted a player like this in a long time.

Do I think that JJones will give to much? Yeah, probably. It wouldn't surprise me if he gave up both firsts this year and even a second next year to secure the pick.

And if Miami has the pick, they would probably take it since they want to restock their roster. After all, they just traded Chambers to start the process. And it could be possibile that they could take both 2nds next year, theirs and ours, and trade for a late 1st if they really wanted someone.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Agree. I think JJ is Jones'en for McFadden. Miami will have Brown back next year. He was having a great season before he busted up his knee. I think Miami would be a perfect trade partner.

I think we need to think about a WR too, unless they think Hurd can step up. The two starters are getting a little long in the tooth and Crayton may want too much cash for his new contract.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It's probably going to take more than the two first round picks.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark;1743571 said:

Thoughts?

I hate the idea of packaging two 1st round picks to gamble on a single player.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;1743604 said:
It's probably going to take more than the two first round picks.
Yeah, especially since the Browns are on their way to the playoffs.

outthedoorbill;1743606 said:
Same here, but the draft is an educated gamble regardless. Adrian Peterson and Reggie Bush are tearing up the league, sort of makes me think it might be worth it in this case. I'm not willing to give up three #1's, but two 1's and next years 2nd may not be so bad as long as we've address corner and WR in FA or later (early, not the freaking 7th round) in the draft.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score

he isnt much of a gamble

but the odds are becoming slimmer and slimmer every week the Browns win...if both picks are in the 20's (or one 20's, other 31/32) then we have little shot of getting up to the top-3 to get him unless they basically give p all this yrs draft or maybe use the two 1's this yr and next yrs 1 plus something else

David

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score

I also hate the idea but then I also saw AD play today.

WoW !! :bow: AD is the Man..

Get McFadden

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
dbair1967;1743611 said:
he isnt much of a gamble

but the odds are becoming slimmer and slimmer every week the Browns win...if both picks are in the 20's (or one 20's, other 31/32) then we have little shot of getting up to the top-3 to get him unless they basically give p all this yrs draft or maybe use the two 1's this yr and next yrs 1 plus something else

David

C'mon David. They're all "gambles" - some just pay off in spades. Others - "Doh... what were we thinking?!?"

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score

I agree. Whos to say McFadden is the next Peterson. We seem to be doing well with the two back system. Marion Barber is looking great.

Why not find an affordable guy deeper in the draft. The RB's are often a crap shoot. There are plenty of solid backs available later in the draft. And more often than not, they are the ones that evolve.

I'd rather be looking at a CB higher and a proven WR in free agency.

CriscoKidd

Reaction score
unless he gets injured, we have no chance at McFadden.

He's probably going top 5. Dallas has nothing to move up that far unless they want to make a Hershel Walker type deal, and that would be a mistake.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
STAR GAZER;1743631 said:
I agree. Whos to say McFadden is the next Peterson. We seem to be doing well with the two back system. Marion Barber is looking great.

Why not find an affordable guy deeper in the draft. The RB's are often a crap shoot. There are plenty of solid backs available later in the draft. And more often than not, they are the ones that evolve.

I'd rather be looking at a CB higher and a proven WR in free agency.

'Bout the only exception I'd make would be the QB position - simply 'cuz the "franchise-types" are so hard to come by.

The league's history is FULL of Blair Thomas-types at RB. As well as low-drafted guys like Terrell Davis - RB is one of the few positions where, when ya actually lucked out and got a "player", the impact is generally immediate. The transition period to the pro game is super brief and almost instantaneous.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
outthedoorbill;1743657 said:
'Bout the only exception I'd make would be the QB position - simply 'cuz the "franchise-types" are so hard to come by.

The league's history is FULL of Blair Thomas types.

sure they are...but Blair Thomas is not anywhere near the calibar of player McFadden is...he wasnt that gifted physically or anywhere near as tough...

just because you can find some examples of guys who busted as high picks, doesnt mean its a bad idea to do it...if you think the guy is a franchise player, you make the move if what you give up is within reason

case in point is Peterson right now...how many people here (and I am raising my hand) would have give up our 1, 2 and probably our 1 next yr to move into Minny's position to get this guy? and McFadden has been just as, if not more dominant against betetr week to week competiton than Peterson was at OU

David

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The Browns are doing so well I really can't think about Darren McFadden now. I don't think there's anyway the Cowboys can get him.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Why compare the two?

AD/AP is doing it in the NFL while McFadden is "doing it" in college football.

Am I missing something?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
smarta5150;1743683 said:
Why compare the two?

AD/AP is doing it in the NFL while McFadden is "doing it" in college football.

Am I missing something?

Yes, the fact that it's a Cowboy forum and people talk about all kinds of crazy crap all the time.

That and the fact that A.P. was once "doing it" in college football just like McFadden.

CowboyMort

Reaction score
dbair1967;1743681 said:
sure they are...but Blair Thomas is not anywhere near the calibar of player McFadden is...he wasnt that gifted physically or anywhere near as tough...

just because you can find some examples of guys who busted as high picks, doesnt mean its a bad idea to do it...if you think the guy is a franchise player, you make the move if what you give up is within reason

case in point is Peterson right now...how many people here (and I am raising my hand) would have give up our 1, 2 and probably our 1 next yr to move into Minny's position to get this guy? and McFadden has been just as, if not more dominant against betetr week to week competiton than Peterson was at OU

David
See that is what I am saying. Before this season there would have been no way that I would have given up two firsts to move up to grab Peterson. The giving up two first for Galloway is still too fresh in my mind. Today, after watching Peterson, I was thinking, "Wow I would like something like that on the Cowboys". Just dreaming, but I thought I would mention it.

Gotta go watch a game.

Benni

Reaction score
I would be happy with Felix Jones or Slaton instead of going all in for McFadden. I'm getting high on Barber and would much rather continue our 2 back system.
+ we would still have a 1. round pick to address CB/WR which is a must IMO.