PFT: Dielman doesn't have a deal... Lions Mike Williams to be cut?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
POSTED 11:35 p.m. EST, February 28, 2007

DIELMAN DOESN'T HAVE A DEAL, MAN

Despite rumors that the agent for guard Kris Dielman has a contract in hand worth $7 million per year, the talk in league circles is that the Dielman camp is blowing smoke.

Why, you ask? Because we're told that the agent is calling teams up and saying that it'll take $7 million per year "to get in" the Dielman derby.

So if he had $7 million in hand, there would be no need to make that statement.

With that said, look for Dielman to get paid handsomely, possibly as much as $7 million per year. But that deal currently isn't in his pocket.

POSTED 11:16 p.m. EST, February 28, 2007

WILLIAMS TO GET WHACKED?

There's talk in league circles that the Detroit Lions will cut receiver Mike Williams, as soon as Thursday.

If he goes, he'll be the third top-ten draft pick in four seasons who flamed out in Motown. He was selected tenth overall by the Lions in 2005, two years after the Lions selected receiver Charles Rogers at No. 2 overall, and three years after quarterback Joey Harrington was the pick at No. 3.

Players that the Lions could have had instead include Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney (2002), receiver Andre Johnson (2003), and linebacker Shawne Merriman (2005).

So what will happen with Williams? Who knows? We heard the Rogers not too long ago ran the 40 in more than 4.7 seconds in a workout for an NFL team.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Concerning Mike Williams

I won't lie.

I was high on him at draft time, would have been happy (at that time) if the Cowboys got him.

Lucky for me and the team we did not get him though.

Chalk it up to one of those...I was wrong and now I am glad I was wrong situations.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Bryan8284;1397045 said:
The Lions just ruin careers. It's disgusting.

no, its just they draft crappy, overrated players

two words- Matt Millen

alot of people here want to bash Jones all the time, but Jones is nowhere near the football moron Millen is

David

joseephuss

Reaction score
The could have had Demarcus Ware in 2005 over Mike Williams.

I would sign Williams to a minimum contract and at least bring him to training camp. There is probably some team that will offer him more, but he is worth a cheap look see and could be cut at any time.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;1397049 said:
no, its just they draft crappy, overrated players

two words- Matt Millen

alot of people here want to bash Jones all the time, but Jones is nowhere near the football moron Millen is

David

Thing about it is Jerry the owner won't fire Jerry the GM.

I have no clue at all what the fords are thinking about with not firing Matt Millen.

Millen must have some serious blackmail on the Fords because there is no way an ownership should keep that idiot around.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Mike Williams was a real disappointment but I saw him a lot at USC and you could tell that he wasn't a very hard worker. A lot of Cowboys fans were hoping we would take him in the draft because of his size but I wasn't real high on him and as it turned out I was right (see, it can happen). I was hoping for Merriman or Derrick Johnson in that draft but I am pretty happy with Ware.

I can see it now, a dozen threads about how we should bring him in, but I'll save you the trouble now... forget it. The guy is lazy and isn't likely to change. Guys like that rarely do. He might work hard to get himself into shape to get a contract from some team but he won't keep it up and will fall back into old patterns very quickly. I've see it time and time again with guys like that, they never pan out so let's not waste any time on him.

I'd love to get Dielman (or Steinbach) but I don't think Jerry will be willing to pony up that kind of money after signing Gurode and hopefully locking up Columbo as well. I see us going after the cheaper Leonard Davis who is more versatile and gives us more options. He's not as good as either Dielman or Steinbach but he should come at a much cheaper price and we don't have unlimited cap space to work with here.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;1397054 said:
The could have had Demarcus Ware in 2005 over Mike Williams.

I would sign Williams to a minimum contract and at least bring him to training camp. There is probably some team that will offer him more, but he is worth a cheap look see and could be cut at any time.

I would not be opposed to a minimum contract.

Throw him in on goal line situations where he does not have to run more than 5-10 yards. :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I'm very disappointed in Mike Williams. Way too much natural talent to be this lazy and piss it all away. He did everything right leading up to getting drafted. Said the right things. Everything. Then got handed a big paycheck and said "I have arrived."

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me Williams is just another flame-out 1st round WR bust. God there have been a lot of them. Remember the Westbrook kid in Washington? When a team "misses" on a receiver in the first round they miss badly.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1397042 said:
Concerning Mike Williams

I won't lie.

I was high on him at draft time, would have been happy (at that time) if the Cowboys got him.

Lucky for me and the team we did not get him though.

Chalk it up to one of those...I was wrong and now I am glad I was wrong situations.

Personally, I think a huge part of these stems from the Lions management. How in the hell could you fail that many times on high draft picks? My thought is you can't.

I think it's more of a Parent/Child relationship. You generally get a brat for a child when the parent doesn't evoke any type of discipline. This is exactly what I think has happen in Detriot. Kids, doing what they want. Good thing they arn't gang members! :laugh2:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Williams is unlikely to be a superstar, but he could and should become a valuable #2 or #3 receiver who moves the chains and comes up big in the redzone.

Bottom Line: He only played two years of college ball, came out as a sophomore, sat out an entire year of football, and actually sat the bench for most of the next two seasons in the NFL when he would have been a junior and senior in college.

If you look at it that way, the guy just screwed the pooch by trying to come out as a sophomore and failed to get the development he needed in college.

You don't have to be a speed demon to be a #2 or #3 very effective receiver who catches 75 passes for 800-1000 yards and 6-8 TD's...but you have to be strong and run crisp routes and read the defense correctly so the QB can get you the ball.

Someone who puts Mike Williams in the right situation and in the right offense will end up very happy to have him, and very happy they got him without spending a top draft pick and tons of money.

I'd love to have him, but I'm betting he ends up in CAlifornia.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would love for Mike to come here and get some proper coaching .....

I do not trust the Lions at all ....

joseephuss

Reaction score
wayne_motley;1397254 said:
Williams is unlikely to be a superstar, but he could and should become a valuable #2 or #3 receiver who moves the chains and comes up big in the redzone.

Bottom Line: He only played two years of college ball, came out as a sophomore, sat out an entire year of football, and actually sat the bench for most of the next two seasons in the NFL when he would have been a junior and senior in college.

If you look at it that way, the guy just screwed the pooch by trying to come out as a sophomore and failed to get the development he needed in college.

You don't have to be a speed demon to be a #2 or #3 very effective receiver who catches 75 passes for 800-1000 yards and 6-8 TD's...but you have to be strong and run crisp routes and read the defense correctly so the QB can get you the ball.

Someone who puts Mike Williams in the right situation and in the right offense will end up very happy to have him, and very happy they got him without spending a top draft pick and tons of money.

I'd love to have him, but I'm betting he ends up in CAlifornia.

I bet Shanahan in Denver may have an interest. No one will rush to claim him because that will drive his price up. Just wait and you can guarantee a near minimum contract.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1397029 said:
POSTED 11:35 p.m. EST, February 28, 2007

DIELMAN DOESN'T HAVE A DEAL, MAN

Despite rumors that the agent for guard Kris Dielman has a contract in hand worth $7 million per year, the talk in league circles is that the Dielman camp is blowing smoke.

Why, you ask? Because we're told that the agent is calling teams up and saying that it'll take $7 million per year "to get in" the Dielman derby.

So if he had $7 million in hand, there would be no need to make that statement.

With that said, look for Dielman to get paid handsomely, possibly as much as $7 million per year. But that deal currently isn't in his pocket.

POSTED 11:16 p.m. EST, February 28, 2007
Do we really want a player who's agent would play games like that?!;)
If Dielman is asking for $7mil per, I wonder what "Bigg" Davis will be asking for?:confused:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
5mics;1397285 said:
Do we really want a player who's agent would play games like that?!;)
If Dielman is asking for $7mil per, I wonder what "Bigg" Davis will be asking for?:confused:

If that is true... it's probably the agent using some of his "tricks" to get the contract he thinks his client deserves. It's rarely the player in these instances, I think. The players just go along with what the agent suggests, if the agents even let the players know.

Professional Sports Agents, IMO are a little like "snake oil salesmen".

Jake0

Reaction score
If the coaches think they can bring out his potential, I wouldn't mind picking him up for a small amount of cash, could be a solution to the aging WR problem in another year or two. After all, he does have a piece on his resume that nearly no one in the league does, a touchdown on TNew. :D

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'll be honest in saying that I loved Mike Williams coming out of college.

Once the paychecks began to roll, I don't know what happened to him. He just doesn't seem to care anymore.