PFT Draft Grades

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Several readers have chimed in on whether we should assign grades for the 2007 NFL draft. While taping a Monday night spot with our pals Big O & Dukes of 101.5 Free FM in Phoenix, we finally figured out what to do.

We will assign draft grades, to every team.

Here we go. Ready? Pay close attention.

New England Patriots: A.

San Francisco 49ers: B.

Everyone else: Incomplete.

The reality of the draft is that no one knows which of the players selected will be able to perform at the professional level. At every position, the draft has almost as many misses as it has hits, and in every case the jury is out until the draft pick is on the field competing with other NFL-caliber players.

Sometimes, a guy who was dominant at the college level no longer is facing Alcorn State-quality defenders. On other occasions, the player doesn't react well when he's finally cracked upside the head by a grown man with stinky breath and even stinkier stinks emanating from elsewhere.

And, sometimes, a guy whom the scouts regarded as a slappy ends up doing the slapping, and finds a way to take his game to a level that no one thought he possessed.

At this point we just don't know, so it's asinine to assign grades. Unless we have a way of knowing who'll be good and who won't.

So based on what we know about the guys who landed with new teams on Saturday and Sunday, we'll give an A to the Pats because they picked up for a fourth-round selection a guy who already has shown that he can perform at a high level at this, um, level.

The Niners get a B for adding the good-when-healthy Darrell Jackson, as proven by his body of work in Seattle.

Beyond that, who in the hell knows? And anyone who pretends that he does know is lying or stupid. Or both.

Reaction score
Excellent point! I'm glad people realize until these players step on the field NO ONE knows, a 7th rounder like the kid Marques Colston in New Orleans proved that point last year!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I guess if that their spin on it, I'd give them a C or a D for their draft...Moss is a proven player but he's stunk for 2-3yrs now...the "well he plays on a bad team" is just an excuse too, because other good players perform at high levels on bad teams, why couldnt he?

Like I said, all these people handing them the trophy for next yr are going to be very surprised I think

David

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
It is hard to argue with the Pats.....I just don't see how they do it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
This is a pretty stupid point in my opinion.

Of course we don't know what each player will do in the future. But we're not grading them on what we know they'll do in the future, we're grading them on what we think they'll do in the future.

We think that Calvin Johnson will be a better WR than Isaiah Stanback. Do we know that? No, but what the hell is precluding us from saying we think that?

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
theogt;1484082 said:
This is a pretty stupid point in my opinion.

Of course we don't know what each player will do in the future. But we're not grading them on what we know they'll do in the future, we're grading them on what we think they'll do in the future.

We think that Calvin Johnson will be a better WR than Isaiah Stanback. Do we know that? No, but what the hell is precluding us from saying we think that?

Umm God?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dargonking999;1484220 said:
It's like saying, "I'm not going to invest my money because I don't know which stocks will perform well."

Well, duh. You don't know which ones will perform best, but good analysts can make a pretty educated guess.