PFT: Fire Sale In Motown

jcblanco22

Reaction score
From www.profootballtalk.com. Interesting, I guess we really won't know what's what until 4pm Eastern.

FIRE SALE IN MOTOWN
Posted by Mike Florio on October 14, 2008, 7:03 a.m.

Word around the league is that the Lions are shopping “everyone” as the trade deadline approaches later in the day on Tuesday.

OK, they’re probably not willing to trade anyone — but several veteran players are being actively shopped, including but not necessarily limited to quarterback Jon Kitna, receiver Roy Williams, and receiver Shaun McDonald.

The Lions have wisely been coy in their public comments regarding the situation, lest they be perceived as sacrficing any leverage they might have. That said, the belief in league circles is that the Lions are trying to get what they can for guys who likely won’t be with the franchise in 2009.

As to Kitna, reports are surfacing that, if he isn’t traded, he’ll be placed on injured reserve. Once on injured reserve, Kitna could be released once healthy. Kitna said Monday that he believes he’ll be able to play within a couple of weeks.

If so, he’ll apparently be playing for someone else.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
We'll see. I've been seeing these rumors for a month or more now about how they're going to move these guys, including Roy, and I just don't know if I believe that.

I do have one question, in regards to Dallas going after Roy, is it possible that they're slow burning this to see if the league suspends Jones? I mean if that's the case could they be, and the Lions possibly more so, waiting for the possible suspension to see what extra picks they'd have to offer in a deal for Roy?

jcblanco22

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2337495 said:
We'll see. I've been seeing these rumors for a month or more now about how they're going to move these guys, including Roy, and I just don't know if I believe that.

I do have one question, in regards to Dallas going after Roy, is it possible that they're slow burning this to see if the league suspends Jones? I mean if that's the case could they be, and the Lions possibly more so, waiting for the possible suspension to see what extra picks they'd have to offer in a deal for Roy?

That's a very interesting angle, you're right, but aren't the only picks in limbo here with the Pacman potential suspension a 5th that we get back and a 6th that we don't have to turn over? Not high round picks, so I'm not sure if that would play much of a factor, but good point nonetheless.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here. I will trade injured WR Hurd for Roy Williams of they throw in next years second round pick. :cool:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2337495 said:

no.

We have cleveland 3 and detroits 4 on top of our own picks.

We are going to get good compensatory picks for julius, reeves and nate jones.

So Jerry could easily give them a 2 and a 4 or a 3 and 4 and we are fine.

think of the comedy of the lions trading Roy Williams to Dallas with their own 4th round pick coming back to them as compensation!!!!

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
theebs;2337527 said:
no.

We have cleveland 3 and detroits 4 on top of our own picks.

We are going to get good compensatory picks for julius, reeves and nate jones.

So Jerry could easily give them a 2 and a 4 or a 3 and 4 and we are fine.

think of the comedy of the lions trading Roy Williams to Dallas with their own 4th round pick coming back to them as compensation!!!!

I don't see them trading RW for anything less than a 1st round pick. The question is whether Jerry is willing to depart with the pick and/or try to out-bid other teams, namely Philthy.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
lol, I can't wait for the day to be over so this Roy Williams crap can stop for the rest of the year.