PFT: Jerry Jones Wants The Ball To Go To T.O.

dgr81

Reaction score
JERRY JONES WANTS THE BALL TO GO TO T.O.

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 3, 2008, 12:57 p.m. EDT

If Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens wants the ball more, he’ll be happy to know that he has support in his quest from owner Jerry Jones.

Jones said on his local radio show that the Cowboys’ offense needs to do all it can to get the ball in Owens’ hands.

“He’s a terrific playmaker, and we want to get him the ball,” Jones said on 1310 The Ticket, per the Dallas Morning News. “We’ll overly try to get him the ball. There’s no question about that. We should. It ought to open things up for other places on the offense.”

It’s hard to figure out what, exactly, Jones means when he says the Cowboys should “overly try” to get Owens the ball: Try so hard that they’re forcing him the ball when he’s not open?

But Jones doesn’t think the Cowboys need to “overly try” to get the ball to running backs Felix Jones and Marion Barber. Despite criticism from many fans and members of the media who said the Cowboys made a tactical error in handing off to Barber just eight times on Sunday and Jones not at all, Jerry Jones says that was simply a result of the defense the Commanders were playing.

“Candidly, I think they did a good job with their fronts, their defensive fronts,” Jones said. “They were physical in that area. That gave us some problems there, too.”
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/03/jerry-jones-wants-the-ball-to-go-to-to/

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've often gone by the belief that if a team establishes the run, it automatically improves your ability to pass the ball since defenders are encouraged to stop the run, thus loosing up coverage on your receivers.

I don't know where I get these crazy thoughts.

superpunk

Reaction score
We pass to set up the run. As long as we have a Norv disciple in-house, that's how it will always be. Always. It made Emmitt more successful than he probably would have been otherwise, because Troy was so precise. It can be very successful, if you have that sort of precision. Therefore what Jerry says about TO is not surprise.

And I don't think Jerry is "putting his foot down" about getting Owens the ball which seems to be what the article intimates. Jerry just talks, and loves to talk, and loves to talk about players like TO.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
DallasEast;2305513 said:
I've often gone by the belief that if a team establishes the run, it automatically improves your ability to pass the ball since defenders are encouraged to stop the run, thus loosing up coverage on your receivers.

I don't know where I get these crazy thoughts.

Must be the same place I get them..imagine that

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
:bang2: Sunday can't get here sooner. everytime I hear something from or about T.O. it sounds worse for our football team.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
What a total non-story. Of course Florio is going to make Jerry sound like he's going Al Davis and controlling things, but Jerry was simply echoing Wade's "Get the ball to your best players" theme.

The podcast is on the Ticket's site for anyone to listen to.