News: PFT: NFL tweaks IR rules to allow two players to return from the list in the postseason

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They will not allow all players to return. They will say something about competitive advantages. Just like the do with the inactive players each week.

It would be nice, but at least they are making an effort. Next step, expand the roster by 2 or 3 players. And the game day roster by 1 or 2. And increase the limit of games you can call up a player from the PS, or eliminate that limit altogether.

Motorola

Reaction score
Seems like a good rule. Why not just allow all players to return from IR. Do they still believe teams will use IR to hoard players even though they number of designations has reached 10 now?
Yeah I’m wondering why can’t anyone just come back why is it limited at all?
They will not allow all players to return. They will say something about competitive advantages. Just like the do with the inactive players each week.

It would be nice, but at least they are making an effort. Next step, expand the roster by 2 or 3 players. And the game day roster by 1 or 2. And increase the limit of games you can call up a player from the PS, or eliminate that limit altogether.
It’s good to see that rule change. It probably needs to go beyond just 2 players.
The 18-game regular season schedule is waiting in the shadows.

The League = the owners...are slow-rolling changes they KNOW need to be implemented.
Thoroughing analyzing each proposal submitted before accepting and putting in each adjustment \ implentation \ modification \ revision so that there won't be advantages or loopholes teams discover later on and exploit.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I want them to change the GAME DAY roster stuff. You can have 53 players, but only 46 or whatever can actually dress for the game??? Let all 53 dress for the game, there's plenty of money going around, and there's talks for 18 games

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want them to change the GAME DAY roster stuff. You can have 53 players, but only 46 or whatever can actually dress for the game??? Let all 53 dress for the game, there's plenty of money going around, and there's talks for 18 games
They will never change that. It is called a competitive advantage.
The reason for the inactives. Is for teams that have some minor injuries and other teams do not.

Say Dallas has 5 players injured, but not bad enough to put in IR. A week or two type recovery.
And their opponent has zero injuries. Why should one team have 53 players available and the other team has 48.

Usually most of the time all teams have 46 healthy players. This is also why they allow teams to now call up a few PS players, due to have enough players available at certain positions.

I would like to see those limits increased though. Say add 2 or 3 players to the roster. Add 1 or 2 to the active game roster.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They will never change that. It is called a competitive advantage.
The reason for the inactives. Is for teams that have some minor injuries and other teams do not.

Say Dallas has 5 players injured, but not bad enough to put in IR. A week or two type recovery.
And their opponent has zero injuries. Why should one team have 53 players available and the other team has 48.

Usually most of the time all teams have 46 healthy players. This is also why they allow teams to now call up a few PS players, due to have enough players available at certain positions.

I would like to see those limits increased though. Say add 2 or 3 players to the roster. Add 1 or 2 to the active game roster.
does the practice squad players factor into this 53 number?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
There should be more flexibility with the IR rules in general. Also I think a roster expansion would be great!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
does the practice squad players factor into this 53 number?
Yes for the ones called up, they will be on 46 or 53 for that game. I think it is limited to 2 players. Then return to the PS. So I guess technically it would be 55 players, still only 46 active.

They are allowed to call up players for a regular season game up to 3 times for each players. Unless that has changed.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
It’s good to see that rule change. It probably needs to go beyond just 2 players.
If they are going to keep adding more regular season games, yeah I would agree maybe even expand the number of roster spots as well.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes for the ones called up, they will be on 46 or 53 for that game. I think it is limited to 2 players. Then return to the PS. So I guess technically it would be 55 players, still only 46 active.

They are allowed to call up players for a regular season game up to 3 times for each players. Unless that has changed.
then if they're called up a certain amount of times, they HAVE to be a part of the active roster or something right?

gtb1943

Reaction score
considering those players being called up from the practice squad are usually min league salary people, like pretty much all those at the end of all rosters, it is garbage to talk about competitive advantages. One jag more or less is not going to make much difference. Now what it could do is allow teams to rest players longer; let them heal longer. More flexibility there. Just like the increased IR numbers. All this crap about competitive advantages makes me want to puke. Bigger rosters will make better games at a low cost.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I agree that all 53 players on the active roster should be game eligible.