PFT: Teams perplexed by Phillips, Turner Hires

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
POSTED 3:01 p.m. EST, February 23, 2007

TEAMS PERPLEXED BY PHILLIPS, TURNER HIRES

One of the big topics of conversation at the scouting combine in Indy is the recent decisions of the Cowboys to hire Wade Phillips and the Chargers to hire Norv Turner.

Personnel from other NFL teams can't figure it out. Both men have twice been fired from past NFL head-coaching gigs. And both inherit playoff-caliber rosters with high expectations.

Though both might make it to the postseason even with Rich Kotite or Barry Switzer as the head coach, we don't see either team advancing very deep into the playoffs this year. Or any year in which either guy is still the coach of either team.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Thanks for posting it, WG.

----

PFT would have more credibility if they mentioned who "personnel from other NFL teams" thought the Cowboys and Chargers should have hired instead.

But, of course, PFT doesn't have credibility ....

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Yes, of course we can easily get to the playoffs...but to win a game once we get there? Impossible! :rolleyes:

Anyone that was "perplexed" by this move doesn't have thoughts worth worrying about anyway.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Well neither guy was at the top of any list I have. But of all the people who were available that were interviewed, Phillips is by a long shot the best coach we could have hired.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to know who the teams are that said this, and secondly who the heck do they think should have been hired?

That's pretty lame for other teams to be questioning the hiring of coaches when you can look throughout the league and wonder why many coaches are STILL coaching.

My guess it's some fabricated story from some bush league reporter that is getting bored at the combines.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Not that I do not have the same sediments but this is pft and they are bad

rexrobinson

Reaction score
To PFT and the supposed coaches who don't understand:

Norv Turner was in two of the most impossible situations for sucess as a head coach. Commanders under the Hobbit and Al Davis aka Coach Killer. I blame Norv as much as anyone for getting himself in those kind of situations. Now excuses are lame but still there is reason behind every failure.

Wade Philliups actually has a winning record and a vaunted style of defense.

Sometimes good coaches just get fired see Jimmy Johnson, Tom Landry, Tony Dungee the list can go on.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
rexrobinson;1389120 said:
To PFT and the supposed coaches who don't understand:

Norv Turner was in two of the most impossible situations for sucess as a head coach. Commanders under the Hobbit and Al Davis aka Coach Killer. I blame Norv as much as anyone for getting himself in those kind of situations. Now excuses are lame but still there is reason behind every failure.

Wade Philliups actually has a winning record and a vaunted style of defense.

Sometimes good coaches just get fired see Jimmy Johnson, Tom Landry, Tony Dungee the list can go on.

Norv was actually only under Snyder for a year or two at the end of his tenure. He had seven years to get it done. There are no excuses. He's just not a good HC...historically.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
tomson75;1389125 said:
Norv was actually only under Snyder for a year or two at the end of his tenure. He had seven years to get it done. There are no excuses. He's just not a good HC...historically.

That still doesn't mean that a good coach can't get canned for many reasons outside of quality coaching.

Perhaps Norv isn't a good Head Coach, its pure specualation as we didn't have intimate access to the Commanders management nor did we know how much control he had before the hobbit and after however, Al Davis has wrecked most head coaches under him the past 15 years.

Norv is getting a team loaded with high end quality players on both sides of the ball, if he cannot manage to succeed with this team I will sumbmit he cannot manage himself out of a wet paper sack but until then I will still feel as if he was in a very bad situation in both of his prior head coaching stints and gets an unfair shake due to that.

I do realize that is how real life works though. Your judged mainly by your failures unless you have recently succeeded.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1389089 said:

One of the big topics of conversation at the scouting combine in Indy is the recent decisions of the Cowboys to hire Wade Phillips and the Chargers to hire Norv Turner.

Personnel from other NFL teams can't figure it out. Both men have twice been fired from past NFL head-coaching gigs. And both inherit playoff-caliber rosters with high expectations.

Though both might make it to the postseason even with Rich Kotite or Barry Switzer as the head coach, we don't see either team advancing very deep into the playoffs this year. Or any year in which either guy is still the coach of either team.
You cannot win with these media type....we SUPPOSEDLY had one of the best in the business and we have not won a playoff game...so what in the h*ll do they want us to do? And did it ever occur to any of them that Wade took over some pretty horrible teams and did pretty good..well he is now taking over a pretty good team..so perhaps he can do better? And maybe just maybe we might not make a deep playoff run because we just are not good enoug? Are running game is still inconsistent and are QB has only 10 NFL starts. Wow...just wow...this stuff continues to amaze

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
rexrobinson;1389133 said:
That still doesn't mean that a good coach can't get canned for many reasons outside of quality coaching.

Perhaps Norv isn't a good Head Coach, its pure specualation as we didn't have intimate access to the Commanders management nor did we know how much control he had before the hobbit and after however, Al Davis has wrecked most head coaches under him the past 15 years.

Norv is getting a team loaded with high end quality players on both sides of the ball, if he cannot manage to succeed with this team I will sumbmit he cannot manage himself out of a wet paper sack but until then I will still feel as if he was in a very bad situation in both of his prior head coaching stints and gets an unfair shake due to that.

I do realize that is how real life works though. Your judged mainly by your failures unless you have recently succeeded.

I agree.

CoCo

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1389089 said:

Personnel from other NFL teams can't figure it out.

You can certainly debate or disagree with either hire. But to state you can't figure out teh logic of the hire(s) is simply paint yourself as either extremely narrow-minded or downright stupid.

Its a typical PFT comment. Either totally fabricated, totally stupid, or both.

Does anyone know if PFT has any means for generating revenue? I know they used to have a site that I visited years ago, then they made it pay only which I wasn't about to do. I've lost track of it since then. I'm just curious.

WV Cowboy says he knows one of their "principles" (is it Florio?) and that he's as much an NFL somebody as you or I.

cowboyz

Reaction score
the ppersonnel from other teams being mike singletary, mike zimmer, jim caldwell...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like the hire even more now, last time league people made comments like this is when Jerry brought in a college coach and they said Dallas would not do anything. :laugh2:

baj1dallas

Reaction score
This makes me wonder just how dishonest PFT is being. It would be interesting to find out.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Actually the hires do not make sense it is not that they have not gotten the Job done at one place but two locations.

burmafrd

Reaction score
define getting the job done. Phillips took one aging team as far as it could go; then took another aging team farther and partially rebuilt it before getting canned. The first one got totally rebuilt; the second one they are still trying.
And with the second one he got into the playoffs three of four years and would have one playoff win at least except for the "Music City Miracle".

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Perplexed. I equate the facial expression of perplexity with that of trying to grunt out a 20oz porterhouse, and all its side trimmings, 3 hours later. With that said (sorry) I feel the end result is one in the same with this article. :)

Let's just wait and see. For now I think I'll be happy with a solid season that doesn't have any end of year, mid year or early on in the year, collapses. A 12-4 or 13-3 season with improvement as it goes on would make me happier than a pig in mud.