Phillips wants to be known as "Great Head Coach" - Here is his chance

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Cowboys can build off this last game. They have played very, very well on Defense last 4-5 games, and if they could have been slightly more consistent for full 60 mins, they could have said they are capable of winning through defense. Phillips has had his hand in the defensive turn around, particularly the better pressure and this team leading league in sacks. We knew he was a good/great defensive coach. He even said he's known as that.

Turnovers are what has hurt this team this year. We are amongst the bottom teams in league in turnover differential.

Here is Phillips' chance. Win the next 3 games and get this team into the playoffs and win a playoff game. That will be the start of head-coaching greatness. You don't have to win Superbowl this year, but you need to build up to playing in one over next couple of years.

Get Garrett and that offense in sync IN TOUGH GAMES. Get attention to the little details (False starts, offsides, 12 men, illegal formation, etc). Get TO to play every play like they count and to stay positive. Get Roy Williams involved. Keep the D going and stay out of that prevent, bend don't break zone. Get this team motivated and believing in itself. I enjoyed watching them play even though they lost yesterday. It was more satisfying seeing them play that hard against Pittsburgh than whip lowly Seattle. Far cry from getting killed as we watched in disbelief against the Rams. Ok Phillips here is your chance. If you don't make the playoffs and even win a game you might just not get another chance, and even if Jones gives you another year, you'd have a much better chance by making this team grow into a mentally tough and focussed squad at the end of this year and at least cast doubt on that December jinx by playing well in every game, even if we lose 2.

It starts with the coach, meddling owner or no. Here's your chance Wade. Brew up the coffee, huddle with the assistants and put the stamp of "greatness" on this team. The weapons just have to be there, the identity, smarts, heart, and consistency (all facets of game playing for 60 minutes) just aren't yet, and that is at least partly coaching!

LarryCanadian

cmacch

Reaction score
I might get chewed out for saying this but personally, I don't care what happens in the next three games, I will never consider Wade a "great" head coach. He's too soft. This team needs someone strict and aggressive who will tear them a new one for losing. Don't you think the "aw shucks" attitude rubs off on the players? The Cowboys will not win a playoff game until he's out. I'd put money on it.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
cmacch;2475699 said:
I might get chewed out for saying this but personally, I don't care what happens in the next three games, I will never consider Wade a "great" head coach. He's too soft. This team needs someone strict and aggressive who will tear them a new one for losing. Don't you think the "aw shucks" attitude rubs off on the players? The Cowboys will not win a playoff game until he's out. I'd put money on it.

Agreed, the man could win a SB and he wouldn't be a "great" HC. Great person, i have no doubt, and maybe that's way more important in the end, but great HC, never.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Yeah, I have my doubts about the "aw shucks" myself. But the guys came to play yesterday and D has been playing better. If he can mold the PacMan's and TO's and harness the Romo Jedi force, and deal with the injuries and get us somewhere then I change my mind. If we crumble down this stretch, then I'd be tempted to punt him as Head Coach and bring in a more intense coach that holds his players more obviously accountable. One that isn't scared to call a guy out (doesn't mean the coach disrespects a player - just isn't scared to expect more and let it be known). Parcells quit on this team, and I think the difficulty he was having getting that attention to detail and mental toughness in this team contributed to it, but HE QUIT. Maybe a younger, more modern version of Parcells hehe (any out there).

Wade is likeable and he's loyal and treats his players with respect. Whether they have maturity and ability within themselves to respond remains to be seen. I'm routing for Wade, but think he has a tough road here. If he can get the team to win 3 games and do some damage he deserves chance at "greatness" in headcoaching!".

LarryCanadian

mmohican29

Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2475676 said:
Cowboys can build off this last game. They have played very, very well on Defense last 4-5 games, and if they could have been slightly more consistent for full 60 mins, they could have said they are capable of winning through defense. Phillips has had his hand in the defensive turn around, particularly the better pressure and this team leading league in sacks. We knew he was a good/great defensive coach. He even said he's known as that.

Turnovers are what has hurt this team this year. We are amongst the bottom teams in league in turnover differential.

Here is Phillips' chance. Win the next 3 games and get this team into the playoffs and win a playoff game. That will be the start of head-coaching greatness. You don't have to win Superbowl this year, but you need to build up to playing in one over next couple of years.

Get Garrett and that offense in sync IN TOUGH GAMES. Get attention to the little details (False starts, offsides, 12 men, illegal formation, etc). Get TO to play every play like they count and to stay positive. Get Roy Williams involved. Keep the D going and stay out of that prevent, bend don't break zone. Get this team motivated and believing in itself. I enjoyed watching them play even though they lost yesterday. It was more satisfying seeing them play that hard against Pittsburgh than whip lowly Seattle. Far cry from getting killed as we watched in disbelief against the Rams. Ok Phillips here is your chance. If you don't make the playoffs and even win a game you might just not get another chance, and even if Jones gives you another year, you'd have a much better chance by making this team grow into a mentally tough and focussed squad at the end of this year and at least cast doubt on that December jinx by playing well in every game, even if we lose 2.

It starts with the coach, meddling owner or no. Here's your chance Wade. Brew up the coffee, huddle with the assistants and put the stamp of "greatness" on this team. The weapons just have to be there, the identity, smarts, heart, and consistency (all facets of game playing for 60 minutes) just aren't yet, and that is at least partly coaching!

LarryCanadian

I agree, but I think if the DEFENSE continues on its course, I would NOT want Wade removed. It's too close to being a fantastic unit to see the reason why go away.

MWILL

Fear the Afro
Reaction score
I actually like Wade as a head coach. I think they should have second thoughts about Garrett.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2475676 said:

LarryCanadian

LOL. Wade Phillips known as a great head coach. LOL.

If this team wins anything all the credit will go to the players.