News: Philly.com: Birds doing just fine with deep ball

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jeff McLane, Inquirer Staff Writer
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 2:02 AM
There's a misconception that Chip Kelly's NFL offense doesn't have much of a vertical passing element.

After six games, even some Eagles don't consider their offense one that takes many shots downfield.

But among the top 10 passing offenses in the NFL, only the Steelers (16.1) and the Packers (15.2) attempt a higher percentage of passes beyond 20 yards than the Eagles (14.5), according to numbers compiled by Pro Football Focus.

Kelly's passing scheme is dominated by short throws - screens, pop passes, quick hitches - but so are most NFL offenses. However, it was overwhelmingly the focal point of his aerial attack at Oregon.

What he has done in short time is successfully incorporate pro-style passing plays into his offense and utilize the skills of game breaker DeSean Jackson.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._fine_with_deep_ball.html#pPDD16WLcvX3IVaq.99

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Our safeties need to be on their "A" game and keep everything in front of them. I saw breakdowns in TB last week and they paid for it.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Our safeties need to be on their "A" game and keep everything in front of them. I saw breakdowns in TB last week and they paid for it.

While defending McCoy too, yikes. Luckily, their defense looks worse than ours and doesn't create as many turnovers.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Hopefully Church plays the best game of his season. Wilcox I like, although they are treating him with kid gloves.

I'm a little more concerned about the WR screens as our corners don't fight off blockers very well.

YR

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I wanna see Wilcox or Church lay the wood to Jackson. That would be awesome.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Jeff McLane, Inquirer Staff Writer
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 2:02 AM
There's a misconception that Chip Kelly's NFL offense doesn't have much of a vertical passing element.

After six games, even some Eagles don't consider their offense one that takes many shots downfield.

But among the top 10 passing offenses in the NFL, only the Steelers (16.1) and the Packers (15.2) attempt a higher percentage of passes beyond 20 yards than the Eagles (14.5), according to numbers compiled by Pro Football Focus.

Kelly's passing scheme is dominated by short throws - screens, pop passes, quick hitches - but so are most NFL offenses. However, it was overwhelmingly the focal point of his aerial attack at Oregon.

What he has done in short time is successfully incorporate pro-style passing plays into his offense and utilize the skills of game breaker DeSean Jackson.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._fine_with_deep_ball.html#pPDD16WLcvX3IVaq.99

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm more concerned with McCoy both as a RB and receiver. He is such a big part of the Philly offense and when he is in open space the man is tough to deal with.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully Church plays the best game of his season. Wilcox I like, although they are treating him with kid gloves.

I'm a little more concerned about the WR screens as our corners don't fight off blockers very well.

YR

They don't. Though, WAS threw a lot of them at us. They were effective, but we did a nice job of bending and not breaking on them, overall. As long as we're not giving up the big play, I can live with getting nibbled to death by the screen game. Hopefully, we're putting up enough points that they can't make a living off of that late into the third quarter and they have to change it up.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Before this year started, I would've been much more confident in our ability to limit McCoy because of the Carter--Lee combo. But they are stretched thin with everything they're asked to do, and it's guys like McCoy that will give this defense fits.

Luckily, Celek isn't the type of TE we've had trouble with this year.

erod

Reaction score
Put Scandrick on Jackson with a safety over the top all game. Let Carr and Mo go man with the others. Make sure Lee and/or Carter focus on McCoy. Foles isn't going anywhere.

Hold them to 24 or less and score 30.

reddyuta

Reaction score
The key to this game is not Mccoy because he is just unstoppable,the key is pass defense and more specifically limiting big pass plays.