Philly. com: How 'Boys became men

Angus

Reaction score
How 'Boys became men

Tony Romo and the offensive line are the difference, the Eagles' Tom Heckert says.

By Bob Brookover

Inquirer Staff Writer
The scenario is as grim as it gets for Eagles fans.

Their favorite team will go into Texas Stadium tomorrow locked in last place in the NFC East. Their least favorite team, the hated Dallas Cowboys, has already locked up the division title for the first time since 1998 and has a legitimate chance to go 15-1, an accomplishment that would be getting far more attention if the New England Patriots weren't trying to become the first 16-0 team in NFL history.

For the record, only four teams in history - San Francisco in 1984, Chicago in 1985, Minnesota in 1998, and Pittsburgh in 2004 - have finished 15-1.

Anyway, back to the gloom and doom for the Eagles and their fans.

Wasn't it just last Christmas Day that the Eagles went into Texas Stadium and thumped the Cowboys, 23-7, to take control of the division they have won five times since the new millennium?

How, in the name of Chuck Bednarik, did Terrell Owens' former team and his current team experience such a drastic role reversal in less than a year's time?

"I think the biggest thing is that [Tony] Romo is playing a lot more consistent than he was last year," Eagles general manager Tom Heckert said yesterday. "He's not throwing interceptions, and he's really, really playing well. I think their offensive line is playing a lot better, too."

It's a fair assessment. Unlike the Patriots, the Cowboys didn't make a bunch of significant additions in the off-season. Nobody in Philadelphia trembled when Dallas signed safety Ken Hamlin and offensive tackle Leonard Davis as its big free-agent additions, and nobody envisioned this kind of turnaround when Cowboys owner Jerry Jones picked Wade Phillips to replace the departed Bill Parcells as head coach.

The Cowboys even had a couple of significant injuries early, losing wide receiver Terry Glenn before the season started and nose tackle Jason Ferguson on opening night against the New York Giants.

"From a personnel standpoint, they really have the same guys," Heckert said. "Romo and the offensive line are the difference."

There's no arguing that Romo has been brilliant. In fact, for the last six weeks, he's been better than the Patriots' Tom Brady, throwing for 19 touchdowns and suffering just five interceptions in that time. His 35 touchdown passes are a single-season franchise record, and his 10 300-yard passing games in just 23 career starts are only three fewer than Hall of Famer Troy Aikman had in his entire career.

If you don't have a good quarterback, "you're just going to struggle," Heckert said. "You can find some places that's not the case, but if the quarterback is playing well, it makes everybody else play well. You're not getting in third and longs, especially if you're completing a high percentage of passes. That's tough to stop."

Romo has completed 67.4 percent of his passes this season and 73.3 percent in his last six games. If there were an NFC MVP, Romo would be it.

"Plus, they've got the best of both worlds because they can run the ball, too," Heckert said.

Yes, Romo has weapons galore. T.O. and tight end Jason Witten have already combined for 154 catches, 2,225 yards and 21 touchdowns, while the tandem of Marion Barber and Julius Jones has combined for 1,837 yards from scrimmage - 85 more than Brian Westbrook - while each has taken half the pounding of the Eagles' superstar running back.

Defensively, the Cowboys are good but far from great. Outside linebackers DeMarcus Ware and Greg Ellis have combined for 211/2 sacks, the second-highest total of any duo in the NFL, and no running back has rushed for 100 yards against them this season.

So if the Cowboys didn't make a bunch of big free-agent additions in the off-season, it becomes a fair question to wonder if they've just drafted better than the Eagles in recent years.

"I think they've drafted well, but I think we've drafted well, too," Heckert said.

If you go back to 2002, both teams have a total of 12 drafted starters, and that number includes Cowboys rookie kicker Nick Folk. It doesn't take into account Romo, who was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2003. The Eagles' best undrafted free agent in that same time frame is safety Quintin Mikell.

Romo, Ware, Witten and safety Roy Williams have combined to play in eight Pro Bowls, and that number is going to grow for at least three of them on Tuesday and possibly all four. The Eagles' Westbrook, Lito Sheppard and Shawn Andrews have combined to play in four Pro Bowls, and only Westbrook is guaranteed to increase that number this year.

The Cowboys have hit it big in free agency the last two seasons with Davis, who has played exceptionally well on the offensive line; Hamlin, whose five interceptions are tied for the team lead; and, of course, T.O., who is likely going to be selected to his sixth Pro Bowl this year.

By contrast, the Eagles' free-agent additions in the last two seasons have been defensive end Darren Howard; defensive tackles Montae Reagor, Ian Scott and Kimo von Oelhoffen; linebacker Takeo Spikes; and wide receiver Kevin Curtis. Only Curtis has been a major contributor.

So, now, as a lost season fades, the question is this: Are the Cowboys about to dominate the NFC East for the next six years the way the Eagles dominated the previous six?

"I think they're going to be able to sustain what they're doing," Heckert said. "It's just a matter of what happens with us."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20071215_How_Boys_became_men.html

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I thought there was one team that rushed for more than 100 yards against the Boyz so far? :confused:

robbieruff

Reaction score
5Stars;1833863 said:
I thought there was one team that rushed for more than 100 yards against the Boyz so far? :confused:

RB no...two teams have rushed for over 100...but now individual RB has.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
5Stars;1833863 said:

Yes, but no single player has. To me it doesn't matter whether one player or a combination of players does it, though.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LeonDixson;1833875 said:
Yes, but no single player has. To me it doesn't matter whether one player or a combination of players does it, though.

Yeah, I feel the same way. It does not matter if just one running back does it, or two...the thing is that it has been done. So it's wrong for articles to say that the Cowboys defense has not given up 100 yards to a runner, because 100 yards (or more) is 100 yards.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
robbieruff;1833869 said:
RB no...two teams have rushed for over 100...but now individual RB has.

Got it...thanx, robbieruff!

:starspin

burmafrd

Reaction score
The lions got most of thiers in the first qtr- the pack on one long run.
So that really has not been that big a factor. Though in the lions game I think the carryover of worrying about the run lasted all the first half and part of the third QTR.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
burmafrd;1833892 said:
The lions got most of thiers in the first qtr- the pack on one long run.
So that really has not been that big a factor. Though in the lions game I think the carryover of worrying about the run lasted all the first half and part of the third QTR.

I agree. The Loins completely changed the way they had been playing and came out running instead and that is what the Cowboys were not expecting.

But when you have Romo...well, what can I say?

;)

The Panch

Reaction score
5Stars;1833863 said:
Exactly. The fact that there's actually players and staff who are proud of that as if it makes a difference who's doing the running is rather pointless.

followthestar

Reaction score
No RB reaching 100 yards indicates a lot of teams are using two backs, a lot of teams are passing more frequently for whatever reason, and that we are doing a pretty good job against the run. No trophies for any of those things, just things we already know...

sago1

Reaction score
The Cowboys are a team and therefore the whole team is 12-1. However, the defense needs something to hang its hat on as does the HC whose specifically in charge of the defense. We've got some good players on defense and there better be cause we've spent a lot of #1s on it whereas there are no #1s that we've drafted on our offense. The reality is this team goes as far as our offense and Romo can take it but the defense also has to make a big contribution to every game or we can be stopped eventually.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Panch;1833894 said:
Exactly. The fact that there's actually players and staff who are proud of that as if it makes a difference who's doing the running is rather pointless.
Have players and staff been quoted as saying they're proud of it? I've just heard it from the media.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Angus;1833842 said:
The tandem of Marion Barber and Julius Jones has combined for 1,837 yards from scrimmage - 85 more than Brian Westbrook - while each has taken half the pounding of the Eagles' superstar running back.
Great, great stat.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Angus;1833842 said:
The Cowboys have hit it big in free agency the last two seasons with Davis, who has played exceptionally well on the offensive line...
Davis is playing exceptionally well because the Cowboys are playing him at the position where his skills can be maximized--unlike how the Cardinals were underutilizing his talents. Davis has proven to be a solid FA signing this year.

thekavorka

Reaction score
i think the only reason the stat of "cowboys have not allowed a rb to gain 100 yards" matters is for fantasy football.

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
I could care less about a 100 yd rb........its the having at least one more point than the opponent at the end of the game number is what I care about.

Daudr

Reaction score
followthestar;1833922 said:
No RB reaching 100 yards indicates a lot of teams are using two backs, a lot of teams are passing more frequently for whatever reason, and that we are doing a pretty good job against the run. No trophies for any of those things, just things we already know...

That may be, but there are a lot of teams that allow individual rushers to get over 100 yards. The Cowboys currently have 15 straight games where they have not allowed a 100yd rusher, which is second only to the Ravens at 17 games (stat courtesy of some show on ESPN).

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
quote:So, now, as a lost season fades, the question is this: Are the Cowboys about to dominate the NFC East for the next six years the way the Eagles dominated the previous six?

Only Six yrs to go..Gotta figure longer than that..See Jerry Jones working hard in FA, drafts and trades to keep the Cowboys loaded as long as Romo is the fireing pin.....

hey...new stadium just adds to it for JJ