Pickle Juice Game

kilz

Reaction score
Ever since the infamous "pickle juice" game broke my heart on opening day, I have been weary of players not being ready for sweltering conditions in the early season.

I hope its hot and humid the next couple of weeks out at Valley Ranch. Tampa Bay under the midday sun has the potential to be difficult.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
kilz;2899302 said:
Ever since the infamous "pickle juice" game broke my heart on opening day, I have been weary of players not being ready for sweltering conditions in the early season.

I hope its hot and humid the next couple of weeks out at Valley Ranch. Tampa Bay under the midday sun has the potential to be difficult.

You've obviously never been in Dallas in August. Tampa is like the north pole.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I remember that game so clearly. I remember it because I wasn't able to watch it live, I forget what was going on, but I remember that day saying to my wife something about the game. We were doing our picks, at the time we'd pay some sum of money and you'd pick the winners of all the games each week and at the end of the year the person with the most right would win the pot.

Well I remember saying Dallas and her saying...but what if they lose? I remember it like it was yesterday. I responded with the following.

"The only way Philly wins this game is if Dallas decided not to come to the stadium and play."

Obviously Dallas got lost on it's way to Texas Stadium that day.

true blue

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2899336 said:
:confused: I'm missing something here. When was this game?
It was back in the 2000 season. I believe it was the game that the eagles opened with an onside kick.

links18

Reaction score
First game of the Campo error. Galloway out for the year when the game was already over. Troy hurt. Reid calls a successful onside kick on the opening kick-off. Duece Staley breaking off for 200 yards. I HATE the pickle juice game.

Grevus

Reaction score
Agreed. I hate even to think about that game. It was the one time that I actually thought about turning the TV off.

fgoodwin

Reaction score
Didinger: Game I'll Never Forget: Pickle Juice Game

Friday, June 12, 2009

By Ray Didinger
CSNPhilly.com

There was a feeling in the summer of 2000 that the Eagles were getting better, getting closer. But no one expected this.

The Eagles opened the regular season with a 41-14 rout of the Dallas Cowboys at Texas Stadium. They started with a bold gamble – an onside kick on the opening kickoff – and never let up on a day when the temperature on the field reached 130 degrees.

“It was a message to the whole conference that we’re going to be aggressive,” said Donovan McNabb, who was firmly established as the No. 1 quarterback after splitting time with Doug Pederson the previous season.

“We beat a team that Philadelphia loves to beat and we beat them convincingly,” said owner Jeff Lurie.

There were actually several forces at work. The Eagles were a much improved team in their second year under coach Andy Reid. They closed out the 1999 season with back-to-back wins over New England and St. Louis and carried that confidence into 2000 with a hungry McNabb running the offense.

The Cowboys, on the other hand, were an aging team that was about to crash and burn under first-year head coach Dave Campo. Looking back, it’s easy to see why things unfolded as they did, but watching it live that day in Texas Stadium, it was a shock.

Even when the Eagles recovered the onside kick and McNabb threw a quick touchdown pass to Jeff Thomason for a 7-0 lead, I expected Dallas to come back. These were the Cowboys, after all, and the Eagles had won only one road game in the previous three seasons. I figured it was only a matter of time before order was restored.

But on the Cowboys first play from scrimmage, rookie defensive tackle Corey Simon sacked quarterback Troy Aikman. Dallas went three-and-out, the Eagles added another touchdown on a Duce Staley run and, suddenly, I began to see this wasn’t a fluke. The Eagles were landing all the punches and the Cowboys were sagging to the canvas like a weary old pug.

There were several highlights:

• Staley rushed for 201 yards, the second most ever for an Eagles running back. Only Hall of Famer Steve Van Buren had a bigger day, gaining 205 yards against Pittsburgh in 1949.

• Jon Runyan played his first game as an Eagle at right tackle. His powerful blocking helped the team rush for 306 yards, the most ever surrendered in one game by the Dallas defense.

• The defense limited Emmitt Smith to 29 yards rushing and knocked Aikman out of the game with a concussion. The Eagles had five sacks of Aikman and two interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown by middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter.

• The 27-point margin of victory was the largest since the Eagles 40-8 win in San Francisco in 1994. It was their most lopsided opening day victory since they defeated Tampa Bay by the identical score in 1988.

In Eagles lore, this win is commonly referred to as “The Pickle Juice Game.” That’s because the players drank pickle juice to ward off dehydration on the brutally hot day. It was the hottest game in NFL history. It was 109 degrees at kickoff, eight degrees hotter than the previous record set in a Cowboys-Cardinals game played in Arizona in 1997.

Trainer Rick Burkholder credited Steve Condon, a college trainer who interned with the Eagles during the summer, with the idea. He had the players drink the briny juice from a jar of kosher dills with its high levels of salt and nutrients to keep them from cramping in practice. It worked so well, they kept it up right through the trip to Dallas. On game day, the Cowboys lost a dozen players to heat cramps. The Eagles lost none.

“I know it helped me,” safety Brian Dawkins said. “I’m a crampee. I cramp up all the time. I didn’t have a single cramp today.”

It wasn’t just a one-day chug-a-lug. Burkholder studied the weather reports all week so he knew it was going to be 100 degrees plus on Sunday. He had the Eagles load up on water and sports drinks all week in practice, then topped them off with pickle juice on Sunday. Crazy as it sounds, it worked.

“I was worried they might get sick drinking that stuff,” Reid said. “But a lot of them liked it, whatever that says about them.”

It was a career game for Staley, who caught four passes for 61 yards in addition to the 201 yards he gained on the ground. He had a 60-yard run from scrimmage, sprinting away from tacklers while most folks were having trouble just standing up in the heat.

“People were talking about us going 7-9 or 8-8,” Corey Simon said. “But we’re planning to go beyond that. There’s no reason this team can’t do much better than that. We showed that we can be a good team today.”

Indeed, the victory was just the start of a turnaround season as the Eagles improved from 5-11 in 1999 to 11-5 and a playoff berth in 2000. The Cowboys never seemed to recover from the beating and finished the season at 5-11.

fgoodwin

Reaction score
casmith07;2899731 said:
yeah well...... :trophy:
Not sure what point you're making with the trophy case; the Eagles have won 3 NFL championships: in 1948, 1949, and 1960. And they've also been in the NFCCG and Super Bowl more recently than the Cowboys.

Mansta54

Reaction score
fgoodwin;2899738 said:
Not sure what point you're making with the trophy case; the Eagles have won 3 NFL championships: in 1948, 1949, and 1960. And they've also been in the NFCCG and Super Bowl more recently than the Cowboys.

That's a SB trophy case and how many of those have they won? It looks like this:trophy:

fgoodwin

Reaction score
Mansta54;2899785 said:
That's a SB trophy case and how many of those have they won? It looks like this:trophy:
OK, but there was an NFL Championship before the Super Bowl, unless history began in 1966 . . .