Pipe Dream Mock ( with trades ):

Randy White

Reaction score
This is a fantasy mock that I just thought of, with trades that I think make sense, but know fully well that they will not happen ( although hope they do ).

First, the trades:

Terrence Newman to the Patriots for 2 second rounds picks ( #12 and #21 picks in the second round ).

The Patriots have 3 second rounds picks in this year's draft, and Newman would be a perfect fit for them since they like experienced players and it's a position need. They get to keep the 15th pick in the second round, their own first round pick, and add CB who can still contribute at a fairly high level.

It's good for the Cowboys because they pick up 2 extra second rounders and get rid of T-News future albatross contract without any cap ramifications.

Cowboys' own Second round pick to the Chargers for Antonio Cromartie.

Chargers are looking for a RB, but that 2nd round pick would do just as well because it allows them the flexibility to pick up a RB in either of the first two rounds. Cromartie will immidiately fill the starting void that trading T-new would create or, at the very least, provide great depth if Scandrick wins the job outright. Since Wade coached him in SD, familiarity of the defense is a plus. Also, Cromartie is 6 years younger than Newman and millions of dollars cheaper.

Draft:

1st rnd ( 27th pick ): Best player available who's not a C, QB, RB, TE or WR. If it's a Tackle, Guard, DE, LB, S, or CB, so be it. Preferably it would be Mike Iupati, but if he's not there, take the next best talent. Because of the T-new trade, this team would have GREAT flexibility with this pick.

2nd rnd ( 12th pick ): [ Assuming they took a OT in the 1st ] Patrick Robinson, CB, FSU.

2nd rnd ( 21st pick ): Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama

3rd rnd: Kam Chancellor, S, Virginia Tech

4th rnd: Tyson Alualu, DT/DE, California

6th rnd: Vince Oghobaase, DT/DE, Duke

7th rnd: Sam Shields, CB, Miami, FL

Randy White

Reaction score
come on man, stop messin' with my fantasy..

:D

Naa, I thought of that, but going by the way that organization is runned, I thought that Newman would be a better fit in terms of leadership and experience ( something they show a lack of last year ). They already have a very young defensive backfield with 4 out of their 6 CBs in their 3rd year of service or less. Shawn Springs has been just as advertised ( injury prone ) and the next most experienced guy is Leigh Bodden who's 28 years old. They don't need to get younger at that position.

CB: Arrington, Kyle, 1st year
CB: Wilhite, Jonathan, 2nd year
CB: Butler, Darius, Rookie
CB: Wheatley, Terrence, 2nd year
CB: Bodden, Leigh, 7th year
CB: Springs, Shawn, 13th year
DB: Lockett, Bret, Rookie
DB: Chung, Pat, Rookie
FS: McGowan, Brandon, 5th year
FS: Sanders, James, 5th year
SS: Meriweather, Brandon, 3rd year